Madison Scouts trombones?

Furthermore, I simply disagree with you that the trombone alone possesses a sound for which it would be, to cite Joe Allison’s ridiculous term once more, “sacrilege” to replace with something else on the field; that the sound of the trombone, even counting the glissando (or portamento), is more unlike a euphonium’s than the sound of a violin is unlike a trumpet’s. Again, not that it matters if one ensemble has nothing that sounds like another, when it comes time to adapt. Few people would mistake the human voice for a viola, but that didn’t stop Barber from making the arrangement in question.

(As it happens, I admit I wasn’t very familiar with the “Concerto to End All Concertos” before yesterday, but after listening to it three times on Youtube, I have yet to hear the part that must be performed on trombone. There’s a lot of descending trombone lines, and I guess they slip into each note rather than hitting it square on, but nothing I can hear that slides from one note to another so dramatically that a euphonium would sound especially wrong—if I were even to agree that it was wrong for the euphonium to sound different. What am I missing? Can someone point me to the key moments in that recording?)

I completely agree with you above.

I also wasn't very familiar with the Concerto and went listening to it on youtube. I didn't hear anything that just required it be performed on trombone either.

I actually listened to "original" versions of all the pieces Madison is playing this year on Youtube. They're playing other pieces of music that have more of a "must be played on trombone" vibe than the Concerto, especially Fugue ( if they're playing Passacaglia and Fugue).

One thing that I wanted to comment on was this idea that some of these designers feel that they're REQUIRED to use a particular instrument because it's in the original such as what was implied in the round table.... I believe that neither Ellis nor Kenton would have had a problem with using marching baritones, marching euphs, **or gasp** tromboniums in their music had there been quality instrument designs back then.

If the current designers wanted to use trombones for the music, fine. But using the excuse that they needed to match Ellis and Kenton and their groups' music was just silly in my mind.

Don Ellis and Stan Kenton really LOVED to experiment with "non-traditional" brass instruments and colors in their performances, bands, and arrangements. Don Ellis did after all play flugel horn, alto horn, Superbone, Firebird. He didn't just play trumpet. He LOVED to experiment with various sounds and instruments.

Stan Kenton did have his mellophonium band. Those instruments sure did tick off some trombone players in the band at the time from what I've read! They also had some pretty bad tuning issue and were used DESPITE this problem.

I still say that it would have been MORE innovative to use a line made up with something like this:

1st Trumpet - 8

2nd Cornet - 8

3rd Flugel - 10

1st Mellophones - 4

1st/2nd Alto horn - 6

2nd/ 3rd Frenchie - 8

1st Trombonium - 6

1st /2nd Bari - 10

2nd/ 3rd Euph - 10

Tuba - 16

...than it was to allow trombones, french horns, and sousaphones. Oh, and all the other non-bell front brass instruments...

On a tangeant, what kind of Alto horn is that at beginning at 2:26 in Open Wide?

Edited by jjeffeory

....................I still say that it would have been MORE innovative to use a line made up with something like this:

1st Trumpet - 8

2nd Cornet - 8

3rd Flugel - 10

1st Mellophones - 4

1st/2nd Alto horn - 6

2nd/ 3rd Frenchie - 8

1st Trombonium - 6

1st /2nd Bari - 10

2nd/ 3rd Euph - 10

Tuba - 16

...than it was to allow trombones, french horns, and sousaphones. Oh, and all the other non-bell front brass instruments...

I would be prone to go with:

82--lead (in G) sopranos

2--2nd (in G) sopranos

2--3rd (in G) sopranos

WAIT!! That seems a little bottom heavy: 84, 1 and 1 would be better.

:silly:

• Like 1

I remember when the Madison Scouts use to be cool

Me too... I'm so glad that hasn't changed.

• Like 2

lol.

anywho i think mason & co have done a good job of maintaining the corps identity while bringing their programming up-to-date.

and thats the key to those who CHOOSE to do this...one can respect the past and the tradition WITHOUT being held back by it.

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

I still cant believe that my favorite Drum Corps was in favor of allowing band instruments. Madison alumni aren't happy about this.

I still cant believe that my favorite Drum Corps was in favor of allowing band instruments. Madison alumni aren't happy about this.

I know: it's awful that Scouts were in favor of trumpets, baritones, euphoniums, mellophones, tubas, etc. You know, band instruments

• Like 3