Is there anything the pit CANNOT do?

Which are legal in the pre-show if so desired.

Scottish highland show! Get the kilts out there!

As mentioned before, both these instruments are legal. Reminds me of the water phone they used in 2006. I was pretty sure that after 2004, DCI banned ALL use of water, and then later (2009ish) legalized the use of water as long as it didn't come into contact with the field. Under the rules, that should have been a penalty, but thankfully DCI decided to enforce the spirit, rather than the letter of the rule.

That seems to be the case, that DCI is rather loose with the enforcement of restrictions. No doubt, this is to encourage creativity, which I am all for. I am wondering though, how far individual corps have pushed this. I mean, would DCI say bagpipes are completely out of the question? Bagpipes and slide-whistles seem almost like cousins, if you ask me.

As the member who played the Waterphone (and typewriter) in 2006 we didn't put any water in it during a performance.

As mentioned before, both these instruments are legal. Reminds me of the water phone they used in 2006. I was pretty sure that after 2004, DCI banned ALL use of water, and then later (2009ish) legalized the use of water as long as it didn't come into contact with the field. Under the rules, that should have been a penalty, but thankfully DCI decided to enforce the spirit, rather than the letter of the rule.

Well, the letter of the law would require penalizing any brass line that emptied a spit valve on the field, which would require penalizing...all of them.

• Like 1

So what exactly is the limit, if any, in the pit?

Listening back.... :shutup:

OK, from all the feedback, I get this impression: the pit is basically the liberal bastion of drum corps, where new things are tried, limits are pushed, moderation is a dirty word, hats are not worn; kind of the San Francisco of drum corps.

On the other hand, the marching field proper, where the battery and horns spend most of their time, is more like a small Nebraska farm town, where tradition and uniformity are sacred, and where deviance is not only discouraged, but harshly penalized.

I think it is a beautiful American thing that such divergent groups can harmoniously co-exist within the same corps.

Moscow on the Hudson?

Well, the letter of the law would require penalizing any brass line that emptied a spit valve on the field, which would require penalizing...all of them.

Or just empty them right before you go on the field, and after you get off. Then again, I play a little drier than a lot of players. Everyone was always emptying their spit valves more often.