Controversy in WGI and DCI

Here is a question for all and gets to the heart of the matter of pushing the limits balanced with appropriate show design: WGI is attended by families, not just mature young adults or adults, but families. Was the Kama Sutra appropriate, really appropriate for a show design in which many of the members in the audience at each event were ‘children’?

I gotta be honest...i've rarely seen small kids at any regionals I've attended

• Like 1

it was for sure...they had many great shows....remember the show with the table?..fantastic...watch Aimachi percussion 2010 Ice...i think you might like it...amazing

only if you don't listen

:ninja:

• Like 1

One of the fondest memories of my childhood was watching the NFL with my dad and going to a few games. Now, I have gotten to the point that I have to record and edit NFL games to watch with my kids, especially the Super Bowl, due to the over the top sexualizing twerking innuendoes presented in the commercials and the half time performances. And in no way will I ever take one of my kids anymore to a live NFL game because of what happens in the parking lot tail-gating parties and the vulgarity of the many drunks in the stands.

Plus ça change? The following description of a father and son attending a professional baseball game in (I think) 1912 comes from a work of fiction, but one that is generally agreed to have been excellently researched. The book was subsequently adapted into a Broadway show whose music has been played in DCI:

"The game began and almost immediately Father regretted the seats he had chosen. The players' every ragging curse could be heard clearly by his son. The team at bat shouted obscene taunts at the opposing pitcher. McGraw himself, the paternal figure and commander of his team, stood at third base unleashing the most constant and creative string of vile epithets of anyone. His strident caw could be heard throughout the park. The crowd seemed to match him in its passions. The game was close, with first one team then the other assuming the lead. A runner sliding into second base upended the Giant second baseman, who rose howling, limping in circles and bleeding profusely through his stocking. Both teams came running from their dugouts and the game was stopped for some minutes while everyone fought and rolled in the dirt and the crowd yelled its encouragement. An inning or two after the fight the Giant pitcher Marquand seemed to lose his control and threw the ball so that it hit the Boston batsman. The fellow rose from the ground and ran out toward Marquand waving his bat. Again the dugouts emptied and players wrestled with each other and threw their roundhouse punches and beat clouds of dust into the air. The audience this time participated by throwing soda pop bottles onto the field. ....

Father remembered the baseball at Harvard twenty years before, when the players addressed each other as Mister and played their game avidly, but as sportsmen, in sensible uniforms before audiences of collegians who rarely numbered more than a hundred. He was disturbed by his nostalgia. He'd always thought of himself as a progressive. He believed in the perfectability of the republic. ... But the air in this ball park open under the sky smelled like the back room of a saloon. Cigar smoke filled the stadium and, lit by the oblique rays of the afternoon sun, indicated the voluminous cavern of air in which he sat pressed upon as if by a foul universe, with the breathless wind of a ten-thousand-throated chorus in his ears shouting its praise and abuse."

-E.L. Doctorow, Ragtime (1974), pp. 193-94

lol..i will leave the judgement on the actual drumming to you.

i'm going with the panel that weekend LOL

"The game began and almost immediately Father regretted the seats he had chosen. The players' every ragging curse could be heard clearly by his son. The team at bat shouted obscene taunts at the opposing pitcher. McGraw himself, the paternal figure and commander of his team, stood at third base unleashing the most constant and creative string of vile epithets of anyone. His strident caw could be heard throughout the park. The crowd seemed to match him in its passions. The game was close, with first one team then the other assuming the lead. A runner sliding into second base upended the Giant second baseman, who rose howling, limping in circles and bleeding profusely through his stocking. Both teams came running from their dugouts and the game was stopped for some minutes while everyone fought and rolled in the dirt and the crowd yelled its encouragement. An inning or two after the fight the Giant pitcher Marquand seemed to lose his control and threw the ball so that it hit the Boston batsman. The fellow rose from the ground and ran out toward Marquand waving his bat. Again the dugouts emptied and players wrestled with each other and threw their roundhouse punches and beat clouds of dust into the air. The audience this time participated by throwing soda pop bottles onto the field. ....

Ahhhhh... but the difference here in 2014 is that this behavior now describes the parking lot hours and hours prior to, especially a, NFL game and the drunken crowd brings it in with them to the stands.

I gotta be honest...i've rarely seen small kids at any regionals I've attended

Look around when the stands are full; there are more almost-teen or early-teen brothers and sisters of performers in the stands than you think; especially in the regional 'circuits'.

Edited by Stu

Ahhhhh... but the difference here in 2014 is that this behavior now describes the parking lot hours and hours prior to, especially a, NFL game and the drunken crowd brings it in with them to the stands.

Then I need to go to sporting events where you live. I have seen some drunken behavior, but no fights or obscene behavior at the college or pro games I've been to. The events described in that excerpt may seem like fiction, but they were pretty common occurrences at baseball games in the early days. Razors, spiking, fights were all everyday occurrences. And yet we all look back at those times like idyllic little Leave it to Beaver land.

• Like 1

Many of these controversial shows were simply incredible....6+ minutes of thought provoking, envelope pushing enjoyment. This entire discussion has made me appreciate WGI even more.

WGI seems to have more freedom to push the envelope. DCI hasn't had nearly the amount that WGI has. Remember in 2002 when the Cadets recited "One Nation Under God" as part of their American Revival show? There were lots of discussions on that back then and frankly, it just pales in comparison to a lot of what WGI has done. What are the most recent controversies in DCI? Aquiring recording/video rights? Narration? Trombones, Sousaphones and French Horns?

• Like 2

There have always been drunks in the stands making idiots of themselves, esp as beer is sold in the stadiums.

Personally, I wouldn't let the actions of those people keep me from attending a game with my family, if I had a desire to do so.

• Like 1