Blue Devils 2014 Thread

I'm still not getting into their program yet either and feel disappointed. Maybe because of only high-box views from the Fan Network? Either way IMO Crown & Cadets are a point better than BD right now (I'd even throw Bluecoats ahead as well), maybe that will change. I just don't think they are playing the horn at the level that Crown is. For example, their one technical passage at the end of the trumpet feature before low brass enter for the first time phases like crazy side to side and the articulation is muddy at best. Visually they do not march nearly as well as Crown, Cadets & BCoats. The drill is not hard and reminds me of the 1980's Blue Devils from a form and velocity standpoint, however the straight line and rotation in the closer is quite cool and amazingly clean. I was hoping they were going to bring back something like 2011, the Mel Torme stuff works for them! Just expected more from the west coast blue team by now.

BD 86.2 is ahead of the pack now

He is called BRASSO because he is made out of isopropyl alcohol, ammonia, silica powder and oxalic acid.

I knew it!!!

But I assure you, I smell a bit better than that concoction of pungent slapped together chemicals ( haha !)

Hope so! I cleaned my fair share of cymbals in my time. That stuff did smell bad, but worked well.

We also used to polish our shoes. As a rookie in BD, I did such a good job on my shoes, I was then tasked with polishing the shoes for the rest of snare line.

Edited by c mor

An 86 right now just seems like a statistical outlier to me. That's why these next 10 days should be interesting, to find how they stack up percussion-wise against Cavs/Bc/Cadets, and on back to back shows they perform 1st and last, one night to the next.

• Like 1

BD 86.2 is ahead of the pack now

Arguably, the east coast has these small panels so if a corps strength is not being judged, they are affected and last nights numbers were just very low compared to the numbers these guys all got 3 days ago. Also, Cadets, Crown and Bluecoats are absolute powerhouses hence the tight gaps. Honestly with the scoring trends that were going on, I thought the top score would have been around an 86 last night just a tough venue, small bleachers, tall grass field. Gross.

Edited by theCHEZman
  • Like 1

Arguably, the east coast has these small panels so if a corps strength is not being judged, they are affected and last nights numbers were just very low compared to the numbers these guys all got 3 days ago. Also, Cadets, Crown and Bluecoats are absolute powerhouses hence the tight gaps. Honestly with the scoring trends that were going on, I thought the top score would have been around an 86 last night just a tough venue, small bleachers, tall grass field. Gross.

I totally agree. If you consider that Cavies at 81.00 and Phantom 80.2 on July 2nd against BD, you would think the scores should have been higher in Bristol for Bloo, Cadets, Crown. I think you'll see some adjustments as we get through the weekend's shows. This is a 4 corps race this year for gold.

PS - It's head-to-head what counts. And even then, it may take a few tries for the judges to get it right.

Edited by drumcorpsfever

While I'm enjoying the season, I'd say it's a 2-corps race so far. BD and Cadets have so far beaten all comers.

Mike

Its a Cadevaliers year. Only once since 1976 have the Cadevaliers DCI Royal Family failed to return to their rightful throne after the Royal Throne was captured by a 1 year imposter interloper. ( haha!)

Its a Cadevaliers year. Only once since 1976 have the Cadevaliers DCI Royal Family failed to return to their rightful throne after the Royal Throne was captured by a 1 year imposter interloper. ( haha!)

Only once since 76 you say? Off the top of this old head I remember Madison in 88 and Phantom in 96 (tie) and alone in 08.

Only once since 76 you say? Off the top of this old head I remember Madison in 88 and Phantom in 96 (tie) and alone in 08.

Yes, but off the top of your head, what happened after the 88, 89 seasons ( 1990 ) and after 96 ( 97) ?

Since 1976, the only 2 year successive year repeats by a non Cadevaliers Corps was '88,'89, Ghost. You can look it up to self educate yourself on it if you're so inclined. So yes, since 1976, except for one time, ( 89), the Cadevaliers assume their rightful Royal position as Monarch of the DCI Fiefdom. after a 1 year hiatus in exile. ...and will once again here in 2014 return as Royal Monarch to the Royal Throne as I predicted on more than one occaasion on here before ( and during ) the season.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1