Why do People Feel the Blue Devils are so Innovative?

I wouldn't say they're innovative every year, but like em, love em or hate em, they do push boundaries. Yes there are harder drills and music, but they are unafraid to take risks and that makes them very innovative

BD is innovative, anyone that doesn't think so, is acting silly, imo.

That said, because they have enrormous staff and marcher talent, I wish their brass charts were a little more appealing. Perhaps its the source material selected.. who knows. But Downey's arranging has been just meh of late to me in the appeal quotient. But thats just me too and what I like and don't like.

Edited by BRASSO
  • Like 1

I wonder how much of BD's perceived innovation is actually from other corps being less innovative. Sounds obvious but, a decade ago, this thread could, and was, about Cadets. Are Cadets now less-innovative? Maybe BD gets points and a reputation from their persistence of innovation where others don't, haven't, or no longer do.

If innovative is "pushing the boundaries" isn't Crown's hornline innovative for pushing execution boundaries, too?

Brings up the interesting questions of "Who's next called innovative, and in what?"

I agree a definition of innovative would be helpful. Cadets were and to some extent still are innovative, as is Crown, but I see them as innovative in the same way 27th, Star, or Bridgemen were innovative in that Cadets push and expand boundaries but are still in the confines of drum corps and other corps follow suit. For example, would we have had VK, Sky Ryders, or even the past few Spirit shows without Bridgemen? With BD, they can at times seem to create a whole new entity, which is why some love them and others loath them, but they generally not copied.

That said, because they have enrormous staff and marcher talent, I wish their brass charts were a little more appealing. Perhaps its the source material selected.. who knows. But Downey's arranging has been just meh of late to me in the appeal quotient. But thats just me too and what I like and don't like.

Agreed. Downy's charts are impressively complex and multi-faceted, but not particularly warm or involving. Reminds me of Miles Davis in his "Bltches Brew" period. In fact, I see BD as the Miles Davis of drum corps.

Hmm, maybe Bltches Brew could be BD's show next year....

• Like 1

Fair enough - but again, are they just really good at what they do, or are they doing things in the activity that no one has ever done before?

Lots of good thoughts and ideas in this thread - like I mentioned before, I have learned a lot from this thread. Thanks everyone!

Agreed. Downy's charts are impressively complex and multi-faceted, but not particularly warm or involving.

Just an FYI since 2004 the Brass Arranger/composer and music coordinator has been David Glyde.

Just an FYI since 2004 the Brass Arranger/composer and music coordinator has been David Glyde.

Ah, thanks for the correction. I was being lazy.

So Downey doesn't provide any input into the arrangements?

That could explain some things, but it looks like to me Glyde is more the percussion arranger/ music coordinator and Downey is the brass arranger/ music supervisor according to their website. Then there's ScoJo also arranging percussion... ....and Jim Wunderlich arranging... I'm truly confused a bit, but we need to give all the guys their props.

http://bluedevils.org/staff/

David G Glyde Percussion Music Coordinator and Arranger

Scott Howard Johnson Percussion Arranger/Caption Head

Jim Wunderlich Percussion Front Field Arranger - Pit Instructor

Wayne R. Downey Brass Arranger/Supervisor

Edited by jjeffeory

Fair enough - but again, are they just really good at what they do, or are they doing things in the activity that no one has ever done before?

Lots of good thoughts and ideas in this thread - like I mentioned before, I have learned a lot from this thread. Thanks everyone!

I'm going to keep this short, as it's late and I'm tired. I would argue that they are doing things that no one has ever done before. Take the opening statement of Cabaret Voltaire. That's the moment that made a true BD believer out of me. Who else would think to do a blob pressing forward with folks jumping up and down and acting crazy, only to have them do a shoulder roll out of that straight into a block? Just one point out of many, IMO, where they had the guts to try something new that I can't possibly think of anyone else doing.

I'm going to keep this short, as it's late and I'm tired. I would argue that they are doing things that no one has ever done before. Take the opening statement of Cabaret Voltaire. That's the moment that made a true BD believer out of me. Who else would think to do a blob pressing forward with folks jumping up and down and acting crazy, only to have them do a shoulder roll out of that straight into a block? Just one point out of many, IMO, where they had the guts to try something new that I can't possibly think of anyone else doing.

unless you count stuff done in WGI previously as innovative.

• Like 2