Achin' for Akron/Cinecast

At this point last year, were people fans of the narration in e=mc2? I know I wasn't, and it never grew on me (like it did for some people). I think the narration here is fine as far as the content. But if you're gonna make a kid spend all summer with the corps (along with his money), just to deliver some presidential lines, let him do it from the field, with the corps. Make him run around a little bit. And if the platform at the front is going to stay (I don't mind either way) get the musicians and guard up there WAY more.

As someone who abhors "narration"...I think my personal bias against it is only because my era of drum corps was late 80's and early 90's...I loved 'I am spartacus'...I actually REALLY LIKE Cadets narration this year...I really feel that is done extremely well and fits their program magnificently...I personally did not care for Cadets narration "This I believe" or Crown "Everything must have an ending except my love for you."

• Like 1

The Cadets show this year is great. However, I would like to add one Presidential quote (with thanks to President Ronald Reagan)...

"Mr. Hopkins, tear down this wall!" :tounge2:

• Like 9

The worst part of Cadets narration is the "That's what HE said......That is what Abraham Lincoln Said" ....and I realize Copland put this in the original...and that's cool that they are being authentic. HOWEVER, when Copland wrote Lincoln Portrait.... "That's what She said" wasn't on the lips of every prepubescent adolescent in America. I think they'll turn it into a joke. Otherwise I have no problems with the delivery. I'm not a fan of Mount Hopkins at the front of the field, but hey...that's why I'm not a show designer....oh wait I am...hmm.

The ending of the show is fabulous. I know several corps change endings and put in new endings throughout the latter weeks of tour....CADETS don't touch this ending!

Well, it's actually "This is what he said".

YES touch the ending, it just needs either a little something more after the current ending...or a little more umph in the current ending.

The theatre in Knoxville was very full. I was pleasantly surprised at the attendance. The announcers though, were more than amusing, especially after Boson. Their comments were ludicrous and at best, ill-informed. To say "they have a long way to go" or whatever was a disservice to the process of DCI. It was if they didn't have any personal experience with DCI. Plus, the audio for their voices was too low; the music swamped them. They also had the BAC guy talk OVER most of the intro, which is poor post-production. I think they drink too much before going on air.

At the theaters in Orange, CA I saw Boston's "G7" form start to develop ("Oh, they're not really gonna-- are they...?"), then felt like an outcast due to my spontaneous reaction when it hit, as I was seemingly the only one there that "got" it. Boston was my favorite, while Bluecoats' last hit and "electric slide/gliss" got people out of their seats.

Two questions: at what point did Crown's low brass switch to high (I couldn't really tell)? Also, did anyone else notice the Bluecoats soloist play the one note using just the third valve, right before the field camera cut away?

• Like 1

Just because you play an instrument and like it does not mean it should be put in drum corps. Their reasoning behind it is dumb too. Brass needed more options? What will their next "options" be?? Kazoos? Harmonicas?

Jersey Surf had kazoos when they did Bridgemania :P

Two questions: at what point did Crown's low brass switch to high (I couldn't really tell)? Also, did anyone else notice the Bluecoats soloist play the one note using just the third valve, right before the field camera cut away?

I missed it too, but I also don't think it's that crazy for them to do that. A lot of those kids are playing their instruments in college programs, getting degrees related to music and can get sound out of anything. Switching to another instrument in the same class is not that insane when the people doing it are at the level these kids are at. For me, it's a lot like the cavaliers taking off the cloaks last year. They just couldn't find a way to get the maximum impact from it, and at the end of the day it was just kind of gimmicky. I don't know who introduced the Crown show before they performed, but he also tried to hype the "brass player playing a piano solo." Same thing as above. Not that hard to find at least one of those musicians who happens to play the piano as well. Given the difficulty of that "solo" I could do it too and I don't play the piano at all. Once again, just gimmicky.

At this point last year, were people fans of the narration in e=mc2? I know I wasn't, and it never grew on me (like it did for some people). I think the narration here is fine as far as the content. But if you're gonna make a kid spend all summer with the corps (along with his money), just to deliver some presidential lines, let him do it from the field, with the corps. Make him run around a little bit. And if the platform at the front is going to stay (I don't mind either way) get the musicians and guard up there WAY more.

Last time they did that, people gave him #### for it, so I don't get your complaint.

The crazy in this post is simply delicious.

Unfortunately, the fact it may be genuine gives it a sour finish, leaving the guest wondering why exactly they chose this restaurant and more importantly, trying to guess WTF they just put in their mouth.

The crazy def. flows aplenty from that post