Sunday's Crown performance

and the #### starts flying before we even have a score. has to be a record

• Like 3

After watching the show on YouTube several times on different videos, I have to say that I love the opener. The rest of the show just feels incomplete right now (which is understandable). If they could maybe lose a few props and expand the drill, it would be so much better. I'm ok with props, but bass drums and trampolines take up a large space (kind of interested in seeing if they can even set all of it up in time because that is a lot of big stuff).

Is anyone else feeling that Crown is really trying to move in a new direction? I decided to go back and watch 2009's show and it is night and day. The corps just feels totally different to me. It is not a bad thing, just a little something I started to notice last year but is even more present now.

A friend of mine called all of the extra stuff "space junk". LOL.

As was suggested earlier in the thread, the show's "plot" sounds like the movie Gravity--whose story was set in motion by wayward space junk. Is it too late for Crown to incorporate drill in which their forms are blown to bits by collisions with trampolines and bass drums and frisbees?

By the way, if you haven't seen Gravity yet, do seek it out. An excellent film. It pairs nicely with another fine 2013 film in which one person alone in a vast space tries to survive after a collision with flotsam: All Is Lost, starring Robert Redford. That movie in turn has a fun connection, by way of the Maersk shipping company, with a third superior film from last year, Captain Phillips, whose last scene with Tom Hanks was probably the best thing on screen in 2013.

• Like 2

At first glance, I thought her wave to the crowd was a nod to Spock... you know... to go along with the space theme

Oh, please let Crown read your post and add that! (And maybe gesturing references to Mork and Mindy and Third Rock from the Sun too?)

Is it just me, or does the first big hit in the ballad have a very similar chord progression to Bluecoats' version of Creep? I've noticed it three times -- once on the rehearsal vignette just before the dress rehearsal run through, once on the DCI webcast, and again on the bleacher POV just posted to youtube.

The first thing I did after I watched it was go to corpsreps and see if it was the same piece. :tounge2:

As was suggested earlier in the thread, the show's "plot" sounds like the movie Gravity--whose story was set in motion by wayward space junk. Is it too late for Crown to incorporate drill in which their forms are blown to bits by collisions with trampolines and bass drums and frisbees?

By the way, if you haven't seen Gravity yet, do seek it out. An excellent film. It pairs nicely with another fine 2013 film in which one person alone in a vast space tries to survive after a collision with flotsam: All Is Lost, starring Robert Redford. That movie in turn has a fun connection, by way of the Maersk shipping company, with a third superior film from last year, Captain Phillips, whose last scene with Tom Hanks was probably the best thing on screen in 2013.

Exploding forms?....http://37.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_mdzw2gCvCg1ri5gz2o1_500.gif

Been watching the video a few more times and I have to say that this show has already grown on me a ton. I'm still iffy about the metal percussion part but otherwise this show just sounds so phenomenal and I know it's going to be so much better by August.

Maybe they could add a couple of micced waterphones to that spot. They produce a very cool ethereal sound. You can play it with mallets or a bow. Tan Dun used them at the beginning of his opera "Tea, a Vision of Soul".

waterphone1.jpg

• Like 2