Instauration in Indy: 6/18

Would be nice to get something like this at the regionals.

Wow. That is great. Some of my fondest drum corps memories are from retreat.

• Like 1

You're right. My bad. I completely forgot about that because that was not initially in their rep that year. That short clip (about 20 seconds) was added when the other music they had tried was not working. It didn't go in until late that summer, like DCI East or something like that.

SNIP.

Posted the video elsewhere.

Edited by jjeffeory

I appreciate that there are folks who disagree with my position, and I fully respect your opinions. I will, though, respectfully disagree. Over my 30 something years attending shows, I have seen many extenuating circumstances and have respected and defended DCI and other decision makers over and over. This just isn't one. It's a 5 corps show that stepped off at 8:15. 4 of the corps were heading to Chicago area. Cadets went to Bowling Green. These are not crazy distances. I realize that this would have put the Cadets about 30 minutes past their eventual departure time. I also can plainly see that there is no show today. I'm sure there's info aplenty to which I'm not privy. (See, I can play too!) Without that info, I just think this was a mistake. Will it affect how many tickets I buy this year? No. But I'm old and grumpy, and I have a computer.

I go to lots of shows, and I clearly see people bailing before the encore. Well, I'm not one of them. Like many of us, I had a love/hate relationship with the encore. I also had a love/hate relationship with running block and push ups. OK...just a hate relationship with that. Nevertheless, it's part of the scene. Most people will not have the chance to attend a regional. As a kid before I marched, I was always knocked out to hear the encore. I was that kid who was the last in the stadium and couldn't get enough. Now that I'm old and grumpy, I'm still that guy who stays as long as possible. My only concession to a wife who wants to leave is to get the numbers on my phone.....but she's not pulling me away from getting face blown off. No, there is no set number of times that's too many to hear Send In The Clowns. And usually, there are a bunch of folks around me who are into it as well.

In full disclosure, I'm a Cadets homer.

If you disagree, we can still be friends. But this is the internet, so by definition, you can't change my mind. :}

Jordi

Friends it is and I'm happy to know I can't change your mind. Some of my favorite memories are encores. I have friends who are now both teachers that still bring up the time they were HS students and I invited them into the dugout at the old Ames Field in Michigan City for an SCV encore in the 80's. Would I have liked a little extra from the Cadets last night? Absolutely. But I'm still okay with the decision that was made.

Edited by mrk

There was just something special about seeing all of the corps out there at the same time and better yet played each other off the field and passed in review of the 1st place team of the night. The encore was always an added bonus. The opportunity to hit the souvies one more time though is a bonus.

man, that hasn't happened in a loooong time at most shows. I marched in the late 90's and this aspect of retreat was already phased out at that time. As a fan before I marched, I dug that aspect, especially hearing corps play different lit./signature charts. As a member I never liked how prolonged a night was continually because of retreat. For the bigger shows I dug it, and I marched in a corps that was more laid back at retreat, but it was still a drag most nights. As a fan post-marching, I'm 100% fine w/out retreat. I'd rather beat the crowds out of the parking lot, or meet up with friends on staff in corps after the show. I can catch scores on my phone, and plenty of videos out there showcase corps performing other non-performance show literature and that's good enough for me. If it means a more laid-back night for the members, all the better. Those kids put in a plethora of work for us in order to perform their show each night to the best of their ability: I don't need to expect more out of them with a retreat when they can be relaxing in the lot or something else less taxing than performing after their performance.

• Like 1

Would be nice to get something like this at the regionals.

with or without the staff trash talking the victor and slamming sticks through heads?

• Like 1

But this year there were some very interesting shows. I was surprised that all the corps pretty much had full shows on the field. I know there will probably be 4 new endings in that group as well as hundreds of other major changes, but so nice to see all that hard work from the corps to finish those shows. Especially since there were only 5 corps. At least the audience got their moneys worth. And the fannetwork functioned about the best it ever has for us. I hope everyone else had a positive experience as well.

Yeah I agree: it was nice that all the shows felt like a complete design. Obviously a lot of stuff will be added & changed, but I appreciate what the corps had.

On the flip side, it is amusing to read posts like, "Crown doesn't use the trampoline nearly as much for all the trouble they are getting on the field," when clearly their vis. design is no where near complete. It's as if these people making those comments 1) have never marched and/or have never paid attention to the evolution of a show from June - Finals and 2) assume that Crown is mostly done adding in effect stuff. Weird....

• Like 1

One more question for those who were in Indy for the show live:

Did Cavaliers broad theme come across better in person? It's supposed to kind of be about vampires, isn't it? They obviously have the gothic visual theme going on, and it looked like they have the frame work of a good/evil, or at least some sort of struggle at play. But are they doing a vampire show, and is that easier to 'read' in person?

I love FN, and I'm very thankful that I can see so many shows and enjoy the season from the other end of the country! But especially early season it's hard to tell what shows are doing a good job of conveying their intent vs the multi-cam editing and/or high-cam only = losing a LOT of the visual design. Show designs are so incredibly complex now-a-days it has become really difficult, I think, to just see FN videos and feel like you've gotten the full look of a design.

Thanks in advance for anyone who clarifies for me. For those that saw it on FN did you feel like what was on the field in the videos got intent of the design across: did I miss stuff? I've only seen it once (well, I guess I rewound a few times to watch the marimbas throw down: damm that is awesome/fun and I can't wait until they have that clean!) so maybe with a few more views I'll catch more stuff

with or without the staff trash talking the victor and slamming sticks through heads?

I DID see that!

Either way, I'm fine.... :mellow:

Yeah I agree: it was nice that all the shows felt like a complete design. Obviously a lot of stuff will be added & changed, but I appreciate what the corps had.

On the flip side, it is amusing to read posts like, "Crown doesn't use the trampoline nearly as much for all the trouble they are getting on the field," when clearly their vis. design is no where near complete. It's as if these people making those comments 1) have never marched and/or have never paid attention to the evolution of a show from June - Finals and 2) assume that Crown is mostly done adding in effect stuff. Weird....

They bashed the Cadets the week before after their debut about the underutilized stage so at the least the haters are consistent.

They bashed the Cadets the week before after their debut about the underutilized stage so at the least the haters are consistent.

I'll admit that I was a stage-basher early on.

I'm still not 100% sold on it, but I don't think it will obstruct the show as much as I thought it would. And it could even prove somewhat effective as the season progresses.