Do We Want Cheering Fans Or Not?

At a show, I clap for everyone out of respect and acknowledgement of their efforts but I only get goosebumps when a show is captivating me then I cheer.

We definitely should petition DCI.... Poll the cheering!

A) I cheered cause I was being obnoxious.

B) I cheered because I didn't know any better

C) I cheered because those bands were really neat and stuff

D) I didn't know what I was cheering for

E) I cheered cause I'm a real drum corps fan who gets the essence of cheering... It's not a Cheerocracy, It's a Cheertatorship....

Yeah, I think this whole notion of the drum corps world ending cause someone might not like some of the show is silly. Half of the rules changes since the bugle-Bb switch have to do with targeting a younger audience. Think about it- The G7 types get and have mostly College kids, but the rest? HS is the correct answer! As a band director I've seen the switch in interest first hand! If they relate to it, they're likely go pay to watch it or participate in it. Why are they cheering? Cause they like what they see. Do we as an older generation? Maybe maybe not, but it's what we need to get used to cause Piston Rotor and Marching Timpani aren't coming back:)

Edited by wesleyrp
  • Like 1

We definitely should petition DCI.... Poll the cheering!

A) I cheered cause I was being obnoxious.

B) I cheered because I didn't know any better

C) I cheered because those bands were really neat and stuff

D) I didn't know what I was cheering for

E) I cheered cause I'm a real drum corps fan who gets the essence of cheering... It's not a Cheerocracy, It's a Cheertatorship....

Yeah, I think this whole notion of the drum corps world ending cause someone might not like some of the show is silly. Half of the rules changes since the bugle-Bb switch have to do with targeting a younger audience. Think about it- The G7 types get and have mostly College kids, but the rest? HS is the correct answer! As a band director I've seen the switch in interest first hand! If they relate to it, they're likely go pay to watch it or participate in it. Why are they cheering? Cause they like what they see. Do we as an older generation? Maybe maybe not, but it's what we need to get used to cause Piston Rotor and Marching Timpani aren't coming back:)

Pfft

a Cheertatorship

Funny

Just like any competitive qctivity, we want cheering. After solos, after those face melting moments, after those sick mello runs, after the contras hit the pedal tones. We love it, it excites us.

It seems on the finals CD/dvd/blu ray they try to minimize crowd anything though. Which, for me, is the day that i tend to applaud more. While i may be worried about scores, at least for certain corps, overall i just want to live in the moment and enjoy the last time i will see these corps perform these shows. Except the champion of course, because the encore.

So on finals i applaud more. And i think most do. So it goes.

It is fun to do the vanguard yell and freak people out who don't know whats up. Or the crown yell that pops up sometimes, freebird in rach star.

And then there was boston's "revolution" show where we decided to do a "freedom" yell near the end of their show. Their staff endorsed it. Theyre all about having fun. And we did it. And you can barely hear it on the recording. Which is insane because of how close we were to mics.

So yeah, they edit out the crowd sounds they don't want. A bit off topic, but whatever.

• Like 1

Why not cheer if a moment moves you? Corps members are busting their butts every day. Don't you think they want to hear it from the crowd? They're not in a performing art for nothing.

I was at Muncie for the show. Every corps had nice things that the crowd could enjoy. The kids in front of my section I thought were genuine, not obnoxious. So what if they were impressed more than others. They were there to get excited about music. I also thought the segment at the end the students did with Crown was lovely.

• Like 1

Not to make it sound like something deeper then it is, but cheering is a personal choice. Even though I, like some others, get mildly annoyed at wild yells of enthusiasm for every rifle catch, you can't control or predict when others will (or won't) cheer. So that really only gives you two options:

1. Let people cheer whenever they want, with the knowledge that sometimes they'll be making loud noises when you wouldn't.

2. NO CHEERS FOR YOU. All audience members must literally sit on their hands. Dead silence from the crowd.

I know which I'd take...