Neglecting the West - We need a real national tour

Jasgre2000 typed this:

"When are we going to stop pretending that this is Drum Corps "International" and just admit that the organization doesn't give a crap about anyone in the western half of the United States? "

Then Garfield quoted his post, but the last line showed this:

"When are we going to stop pretending that this is Drum Corps "International" and just admit that the organization doesn't give a crap about anyone west of the Mississippi?"

Not earth shattering, but I find that curious if someone besides 2000/G changed the wording.

Is the 2015 DCI schedule set in stone? If so, it looks like my local show is being neglected more than ever in 2015:

http://www.dci.org/schedule/details.cfm?event=393

Last year BD decided to skip Ogden. This year it looks like SCV and Phantom will skip the show too. Not the way to treat fans that pack that stadium every single year. I love BK and will probably go to the show just to support them, but I will understand if the stadium is a little less packed this year. What's worse is that BD, SCV, and Phantom are also skipping Denver this year (although The Bluecoats are graciously coming). Who the hell thought it was a good idea to schedule DCI Minnesota on the same day as the Mile High show?

When are we going to stop pretending that this is Drum Corps "International" and just admit that the organization doesn't give a crap about anyone in the western half of the United States?

I was quite disappointed too when I saw SCV wouldn't be at the Ogden show this year. Just two years ago Crown, BD, and SCV were all at the show. And then this year not a single one of them will be.

(From a fellow Utahn)

Edited by spencerg98

there are fewer corps on the west coast, therefore there are fewer shows.

qed

I know I'm late to this answer but....what west coast are you looking at...Peru???

Open class (12): BDC, BDB, SCVC, City Sound, Columbians, Eruption, Gold, Golden Empire, Impulse, Incognito, Thunder, Watchmen

World class (6): BDA, Cascdes, Mandarins, OC, PC, SCV

18 corps...13 of those in California ALONE.

Not to mention 23 championships in World class, 7 in Open class, and 8 in the Div III/Div II days...plus one addtional Div II from a corps that has since folded (Esperanza). 39 titles.

East coast corps numbers (not counting the prospectives)?

Open class (4): 7th Regiment, Costal Surge, Raiders, Spartans,

World class (5): BAC, Crown, Surf, Spirit, Cadets

9...HALF of the number of corps in California, Oregon, and Washington.

# of championships: 11 Open, 11 World...22 overall (HALF of those being Cadets and Crown)

You were saying?

Edited by 84BDsop
  • Like 2

With all those corps, it's a wonder why people are complaining that the Ogden show and the rest of the western US drum corps fans are being neglected by DCI.

The schedule shows 14 shows on the West coast between June 19 and July 12.

Corps numbers range from a single 4 corps lineup (in Oregon...sad, but understandable), to 12. The average is 9 (rounded up from 8.85).

Also note that gthe final three shows include Louisiana Stars....and if a 2nd year corps from near the Mississippi delta can make a tour to the west coast for 3 shows (out of a total of 5,the other 2 being San Antonio and their home show), than other corps can make the trip.

Given that mid-July has always been the last show weekend for the West (2007 aside), I think we've been served pretty well...it'd still be nice to have finals out here more than ONCE IN FOURTY-THREE YEARS.

Edited by 84BDsop
  • Like 1

I do wish BD were going to the Ogden show this year as my Father lives just south of Salt Lake in Syracuse, UT.

I would love for him to see his grandson play with the A corps. He went to the 2013 show and was very impressed but my son was in BDB the last two years.

While it would be nice to see BD, PR and SCV in Denver, it's still going to be a great show with this lineup.

Blue Knights - Denver, CO
Bluecoats - Canton, OH
Cascades - Seattle, WA
Colts - Dubuque, IA
Mandarins - Sacramento, CA
Oregon Crusaders - Portland, OR
Pacific Crest - Diamond Bar, CA
Spirit of Atlanta - Atlanta, GA
The Academy - Tempe, AZ
Troopers - Casper, WY

Why do they even HAVE a Minn Regional anymore...if they are going to schedule it so close to the Denver show? Isn't the Regional supposed to be when ALL the Corps get together in one place?

No, regionals at one time represented the region. Cross-regionals are what we have today. The DATR/Midwestern Regional weekend jointly has been a very long standing tradition of more than a decade (almost 2) in DCI.

When this thread starts talking about starting a contest in Montana or starting a contest in Nevada, then I'll be convinced the posters are really interested in bringing Drum Corps to the West. Otherwise it just sounds like narcissistic whining.

Edited by xandandl