Neglecting the West - We need a real national tour

Another disincentive to the Western tour is the lack of shows. In other areas of the country, a corps can take an early season tour with shows throughout the week. This is also true on the Northwest swing. California, however, hardly touches the weekdays.

I'm not so sure they can call MN a true regional anymore. This will be the second year in a row that they scheduled MN on the same night as Denver.

This was simply a function of how the calendar fell out the past two seasons - not some nefarious scheduling ploy as your post implies.

And again, for those that continue to bring up costs and long bus rides ... the western corps deal with that every single year, and they are competing at the highest level of the activity (and sometimes a level above that for BD). And it isn't just the G7 western corps that do it. Almost all of the WC western corps appear at Allentown almost every year. That isn't exactly "on the way" to Indy.

I just don't think there is any really good reason not to do a true full WC regional in California and/or Denver. The real reason it doesn't happen is because the eastern G7 corps don't want to give up the money they make from their shows close to home and the money they save from not having to bear the same travel costs as the western corps. They make their token trip to the west every decade or so, but it is only a token. The G7 could afford to do a full national tour every year if they wanted to, but they are too greedy to do it.

The west coast corps deal with the trek annually, so it's part of their budget. And several of those corps are flush with bingo money, so it's no skin off their nose. It's a big expense to make the trip west for the rest, and those corps operating budgets do not contemplate a trip west annually. If they were to budget a trip west every couple of years it could be done. A few of those corps have been doing just that. But apparently, their efforts are not appreciated. Sadly, this has been the typical reaction. You get what you want (other corps traveling west), but complain about it when you get it (not enough of them, not often enough, not the corps you want).

Non-west coast corps greedy? For not wanting to incur significant expenses? A bit of hyperbole, don't you think? What's in it for them? Less shows, less money, lower souvenir sales, higher fuel costs, difficulty in obtaining housing, additional housing costs, etc. Most corps are barely making enough money to survive. What is the compelling reason for them to incur the expense? To make fans happy? Altruism is nice, but it doesn't pay the bills. What's the payoff?

What about the west coast corps themselves? Some of them do not even support the shows in their own region. What if the west coast corps went east in early season and you never saw them at all? No BD or SCV in any shows in their own backyard - how would you feel about that? That's what you want from the other corps - abandon their base to travel west. Give up local shows with local support and local dollars, with souvenir sales from your local fan base, so you can travel west to markets that do not (and will not) support you financially, do not buy your souvenirs, etc. Next year, those corps have to try to raise money locally. How do you think those local sponsors feel when the corps was not even in the area the prior year?

Other than just a couple of corps, every mile a corps travels away from their home base, their fan base declines, souvenir sales decline, supporter dollars decline, and expenses rise. It is in all corps best interests to spend as much time as possible in their local area.

Do you want to see more corps fold? If you start a full national tour that involves regular trips west, we will see that. Some corps will be able to increase their revenues by the $35,000 to $40,000 annually that is necessary to make the trip, but that's a pretty big number to try to raise. Many will not be able to do it. Less corps will mean fewer shows. You won't be able to fill out the line up. That will make the situation even worse.

Is that enough good reasons why we don't (and should not have) a full national tour that includes the west annually?

Is that enough good reasons why we don't (and should not have) a full national tour that includes the west annually?

Where did any of us say annually, Tim? Hell, I'd be satisfied with once every 5 years so long as it was a regular thing...it'd be better for the fans out here compared to once in 43.

If you can't find a way to raise the funds for a West trip...don't make the trip...stay in your region...simple (the trick is getting DCI to understand that concept)

Your old corps made the trip in 83...so did Crossmen (Saw them at my first ever show in Riverside)...and Xmen and Spirit had donen it earl;ier, so it's not an unknown thing.

This was simply a function of how the calendar fell out the past two seasons - not some nefarious scheduling ploy as your post implies.

I meant no such implication. Nefarious? Hardly.

The sentence stands alone as fact, "This will be the second year in a row that they scheduled MN on the same night as Denver."

The key is the end of the season...the corps make money from finals week. right now in Indy, the deal is sweet. you won't get that deal out West, even if attendance is 5,000 higher than Indy gets.

The way the 49ers have been imploding as of late, there might be a fairly new venue available on a regular basis.

If I'm not mistaken (and I will be the very first to admit it if I am wrong), somebody here posted a stadium picture in a thread a few months back. If I remember, it would prove counter-productive from a performance/adjudication/maximal seating standpoint, due to the fact that the press box/largest seating areas are on opposite sides. But as I said...I may be mistaken. In the meantime, I will try to find the pic that was posted here, and ascertain of what the negatives consisted.

Edited by HornTeacher

THANK YOU, Ghost!!! I really, really appreciated the assistance.

It can be seen from the picture that the press/luxury box setting (from whence the upstairs judges would be seated, I'm sure) is opposite the largest eye-on seating capacity setting of the stadium. This stadium would probably serve very well as a an independent show site...however, I would foresee many problems if it were ever to be considered as a finals-week setting. And let's face it...at least to me, that is what our fellow West-Coast fans would love to experience.

Edited by HornTeacher