Creativity at the Top

As usual Brasso has it upside backwards and sideways.

Of COURSE design matters. But -- it matters in both music and visual.

Do the performers write the music? No -- they execute it.

Do the performers write the guard work? No (well mostly -- guard is a little different and performers can and do contribute).

Design is definitely important. But great design is nothing without performers bringing it to life.

Music depends on great musicians bringing it alive.

The design provides the vehicle/framework. The performers bring it to life. BOTH MATTER.

BOOM! :smile:

• Like 1

BOOM! :smile:

This is what I was also trying to say.... Yes the importance of a creative/high quality design has gone up... We can't argue that point, it's true. But I also was saying it still requires a great performance by those that are on the field to convey and create what was intended. So as I stated to Brasso, I agreed to a certain degree, but I don't think it has made the performer less important. But, we can't deny more has been added to judge construction/content can we?
  • Like 2

Sorry, I was referring to the whole show. Not just a single piece.

Ok... but. " Pines of Rome " ( First Mov.) was done by Star of Indiana ( 1991). My guess, you unintentionally misspoke, and actually are hoping that some modern DCI Corps recreates their show " Roman Images " in that entirety( not just do the " Pines of Rome" ( First Mov. ) portion of Star's show.. Is this what you meant to say ?

This is what I was also trying to say.... Yes the importance of a creative/high quality design has gone up... We can't argue that point, it's true. But I also was saying it still requires a great performance by those that are on the field to convey and create what was intended. So as I stated to Brasso, I agreed to a certain degree, but I don't think it has made the performer less important. But, we can't deny more has been added to judge construction/content can we?

Yes..only makes sense with the complexity of todays shows and demands.and how they relate to all areas of the corps.

Ok... but. " Pines of Rome " ( First Mov.) was done by Star of Indiana ( 1991). My guess, you unintentionally misspoke, and actually are hoping that some modern DCI Corps recreates their show " Roman Images " in that entirety( not just do the " Pines of Rome" ( First Mov. ) portion of Star's show.. Is this what you meant to say ?

Yeah. Actually, if someone could just get 91 Star together and do the show in front of me with the same quality or even cleaner, that would be great too. Can you have this ready to go in two weeks?

• Like 3

t I don't think it has made the performer less important.

I think the evolution of the DCI sheets over the years has unmistakenly shown a diminishment of value provided to the performance execution of the Brass playing/ Percussion playing, and more increased value provided on the evolving sheets toward the Design component side, particularly the Visual and Guard Visual side.

I also recognize that some that poo poo this , arrived fairly recently to the activity ( not you, Wes ) and as such are really not knowledgeable at all on the older DCI judging sheets, yet feel compelled to embarrass themselves by commenting on such evoutionary changes in the judging sheets, yet have no familiarity at all with those previous sheets to make such comparisons on the evolution to more importance on the sheets of the design to that of performer execution, especially compared to early judging caption sheets. They are upside down and totally clueless, so I don't waste my breathe with them... some of them never marched, taught, or judged themselves, and are recent arrivals to boot, so they're essentialy Know Nothings, on this particular subject that does require a historical context to understand this particular subject ( Corpsband poster comes to mind.)

Edited by BRASSO

I think the evolution of the DCI sheets over the years has unmistakenly shown a diminishment of value provided to the performance execution of the Brass playing/ Percussion playing, and more increased value provided on the evolving sheets toward the Design component side, particularly the Visual and Guard Visual side.

I also recognize that some that poo poo this , arrived fairly recently to the activity and as such are really not knowledgeable at all on the older DCI judging sheets, yet feel compelled to embarrass themselves by commenting on such evoutionary changes in the judging sheets, yet have no familiarity at all with those previous sheets to make such comparisons on the evolution to more importance on the sheets of the design to that of execution, especially cvompared to early judging caption sheets. They are upside down and totally clueless, so I don't waste my breathe with them... some of them never even marched, taught, or judged themselves, and are recent arrivals to boot, so they're essentialy Know Nothings, on this particular subject ( Corpsband poster comes to mind.)

attack the poster when you have nothing else left to throw :-) you're consistent, i'll give you that.

here's some more facts for you to chew on -- even when there was NO GE on the sheets, design was still half of what mattered. because without a good arrangment you were screwed. did you sew your own unfiorm? so adults were even helping you in INSPECTION. drum corps has always been about (1) the product (2) the execution. from day one 'til today.

oh and my first bugle: a valve-rotor baritone. you can't even get your personal attacks to be accurate.

CADEVALIERS BABY!

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 1

Yeah. Actually, if someone could just get 91 Star together and do the show in front of me with the same quality or even cleaner, that would be great too. Can you have this ready to go in two weeks?

Haha... absolutely can get this done in 2 weeks. I'll click my heels 3 times, and wave my magic wand and head you down the yellow brick road over there where over the hill theres a Corps that I've prepared for you to watch and see that Corps play the '91 Star show. Good Luck and God speed !

Edited by BRASSO

I sense that recently, performance is becoming a bit more important than a few years back. You don't need to playing 10 minutes of runs, just play a run and perfectly, we will acknowledge and credit you. The corps that win are not performing the most difficult shows, but they are per horsing cohesive smart designs extremely well. Much less running and gunning than 2-3 years ago.