Why now is better than before, new better than old

To my eyes the mid 90s were the peak of visual demand in terms of shear velocity and tempos...Cadets 92-93 and 96-98...were just some insane stuff with '93 probably the king of them all (pun intended). How do you judge that overwhelming physical demand where they had to be pushing VO2 max levels for large portions of the show against the more nuanced and detailed visual programming of today.

One could argue today is more intellectually challenging with added responsibilities and simultaneous demands...but compared to the raw power of some of the beastly drills from the 90s?? Hard to say...

I definitely agree that the physical demands in some of those shows were extraordinary - especially Cadets - but they tried something even harder during their 75th anniversary show and it was too hard to clean. They, more than any other corps, truly did discover the outer limit to demanding drill.

I don't think that rolling around on the turf and other odd 'body movement' approaches the demand of fast, highly exposed, drill, especially while playing. (Fast drill without playing - a specialty of the Cavaliers - just isn't in the same ballpark of demand).

I don't know you, and you don't know me. You don't know that I spend hundreds of dollars every year on tickets, hotel rooms and sometimes airfare to see drum corps shows. You don't know that I organize a breakfast for the Troopers on the Sunday after the San Antonio regional every year. You don't know that I cheer for every show that gets me going - including the very unusual but gratifying show by Crown last year. AND... you don't know that I marched from 1983-1988 and taught in 1992 and that I am a frequent donor to several OC and WC corps via souvenir sales and fundraising campaigns.

Therefore your opinion is more true?

Since it's TerriTroop, yes.

Age does not empart intelligence. You guys love to pontificate as if your age makes you better.

On the other hand, your post smacks of a snarky, know-it-all attitude as well. To use and old but still relevant adage, you are pretty much the pot calling the kettle black.

Fred O.

P.S. The word you're looking for is "impart." Not a typo, I'm guessing, since "e" and "i" are on opposite sides of the keyboard. I can be a snarky know-it-all too...

Edited by drumno5
  • Like 1

I definitely agree that the physical demands in some of those shows were extraordinary - especially Cadets - but they tried something even harder during their 75th anniversary show and it was too hard to clean. They, more than any other corps, truly did discover the outer limit to demanding drill.

I love this "discussion" but boy is there some bad information being thrown out here. What makes you think the 75th show had drill that was "too hard to clean" -- it really wasn't one of their harder drills.

I love this "discussion" but boy is there some bad information being thrown out here. What makes you think the 75th show had drill that was "too hard to clean" -- it really wasn't one of their harder drills.

Plus, while they were 4th in field vsual, they were 2nd in both ensemble and guard...and second overall in visual performance. Their GE visual placement was 2nd, with one judge having them 2nd and one 1st.

Their 7th place percussion placement, 1.1 behind Crown, cost them 2nd place, as they were 0.3 from 2nd. Even the averaging/dividing of the performance scores would have moved them up if their percussion was on par with Crown's.

In fact, their overall music performance score was a point behind Crown (1st in field brass, 1st in music ensemble and 2nd in percussion), but they outscored them in Visual and all of the Effect captions. So you are 100% right..it wasn't hard drill that cost them the show.

Age does not empart intelligence. You guys love to pontificate as if your age makes you better.

And some yonger folks talk as if us olde phartes made all the mistakes that were corrected so today everything is perfection.....

And younger/older are relative terms ya know....

Funny how I never hear this type of "stuff" in the antique auto club. Would be like arguing that automatic transmissions killed cars or having to use a clutch made you some sort of slobbering dino... Or if you don't like a certain era of cars then you should be ashamed and leave the activity.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

No?

For clarity's sake, I actually apologized in a later post to the OP. I thought he said something in a response but it was another DCP poster. In any case, I was actually responding to caliswift who painted all of us who marched "back in the day" with the same broad brush. I wanted them to know that their opinion of at least one of us dinosaurs was totally wrong.

So, to answer your question: no, I honestly don't believe my opinion is "more true" than the OP's. I liked the original post, a lot. But none of my comments was about whether or not my opinion was better, or more right. I'm honest about the subjectivity of enjoyment in this activity, and I know that for some it's an "anything goes" opinion, and for others it's a "drum corps died in XYZ year" opinion, and there's an entire spectrum of opinions between those two ends of the bell curve. I was hoping that was clear from my post. I guess it wasn't?