San Antonio Regional

I can't keep track of which judge is supposed to be biased against which corps, and would love it if someone would take the time to compile the statistics to show that judge X, on average for some period of years, systematically ranks corps Y a given number of places below what they're awarded by other judges.

This is priceless. I in no way suggested that Marie is biased against anyone. I was simply reading the recap. A 14th place number for BAC is ON THE RECAP. That seemed like an number worth mentioning. THAT IS ALL!

Fast marching (playing or not) isn't nearly as demanding as many people think it is. It just *looks* hard. Devils do things that *are* demanding and make them look easy. Since about 1976 or so.

Normally I would agree that fast marching does not always equal greater demand. BD's show this year has some moments of incredible demand. But for the most part, the majority of the show involves modest to easy tempos, with much standing still while playing. I love BD, and they clearly are out-performing everyone else right now, but the demand of this show is nowhere near the level of some of their recent productions, including 2008, 2010, & 2013.

Love the show though!

• Like 1

Normally I would agree that fast marching does not always equal greater demand. BD's show this year has some moments of incredible demand. But for the most part, the majority of the show involves modest to easy tempos, with much standing still while playing. I love BD, and they clearly are out-performing everyone else right now, but the demand of this show is nowhere near the level of some of their recent productions, including 2008, 2010, & 2013.

Love the show though!

Waiting for incoming fire....

Love the show though!

Seems to me that BD has tremendous variety in their drill and demand.....some relatively demanding and some....not so much. They out-execute everyone so far. That said, the aerobic demand for Cadets and others would have to exceed BD, which would make it quite challenging for those corps to achieve a consistent, high quality sound (brass) when doing higher velocity drill that also has directional changes.

• Like 1

Love the show though!

I agree with this--i think BD's sound is stellar, but much of the drill for me is very slow moving--would love one of those slow deliberate moments to come after sme high powered fast moving--but they rarely reach any speed in most of their drill

• Like 1

I think corps should really limit the number of members who attend the awards ceremony. Do guard members really need to be at the ceremony? One corps had 6 people up there - 3 drum majors and 3 guard members.

Not only that, but some of the saluts are starting to be really "different." Why can't drum major's salut and get over with it without accompanying guard members doing some sort of emotive accompanyment?

Some of the notable "what?" saluts last night were from Mandarins and Pacific Crest (the 3 guard members starting doing the Can-Can),

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 3

You are surprised that Crown won brass? Wow. No surprise here. Crown clearly has tthe best horn line. No one is close.

I thought BD was pretty close. They definitely demonstrate a wider vocabulary than Crown does. Crown certainly might win brass, but it's far from a done deal, especially if the corps is sitting in 4th/5th.

Don't get me wrong I am not a Blue Devils hater, but I want and expect more from them. I think they have the talent. I just wish they would push the members to max out their potential. Cadets and Crown's shows have on occasion been written to a level that they were not able to achieve, but how would they know that unless they tried. IMO Blue Devils has been rewarded for demand that is simply not there.

First place, and for the last two years I've been accused of being a hater. I have to hand it to the Blue Devils this year. It's as if every complaint I've lodged against them for the last two years has been addressed. Drill-wise, this is a far more demanding show than they've done in the last two years. They are playing fast horn runs on the move instead of standing still, which puts them on level with Crown, they aren't using props to guide off of in the drill, they aren't talking to distraction (love getting the chance to really enjoy that horn line again!), and they are entertaining once again. Crown's horn line is clearly playing a more difficult horn book, and that is reflected in the brass score. But they are not executing the visual even on a level with Santa Clara. I don't care how difficult your show design is, if you have multiple captions that can't place higher than fourth because you can't pull them off clean, you don't deserve first place. If there is a corps ranking higher than their difficulty should allow, I think that corps is the Cadets more than anyone else. They are clean as can be though by doing something less challenging. If there's anything that really jumps out at me as off in the captions, it's the judge giving Cadets a 1st place across the board in GE. Blue Devils and Blue Coats both have far more impact overall than Cadets will ever hope to, no matter how clean they get.

There are judges that have a track record / trends over the years of dumping Boston. Three were their tonight. Dose not matter what type of show they do. BAC has done a different type of show over the past several years. If those scores were in line with the others their placement would of been higher. IMO why is there not info/bio's on these people when they list the judges PNL for the show.

It is a matter of supply and demand. There is a demand for qualified judges but a lack of supply. Any company worth a grain of salt would not keep someone around that has a history of discrimination. That is why some are still here doing what they do. But that has been the DCI way since the beginning.