Fan Reactions to Bluecoats "Pitch Bend" Ending 2014

This show is one of my favorites this year, but I don't get the hoopla over the pitch bend. Way back at the beginning of the season there was a quick clip, maybe in the run up to the theater show? that shows it quickly and from the little they showed i thought they were doing it on the horns and couldn't wait to hear it. Then when i did and saw it was completely synthesizer I was just "meh, so a guys pushes a dial slowly or something on the synth".

This show is one of my favorites this year, but I don't get the hoopla over the pitch bend. Way back at the beginning of the season there was a quick clip, maybe in the run up to the theater show? that shows it quickly and from the little they showed i thought they were doing it on the horns and couldn't wait to hear it. Then when i did and saw it was completely synthesizer I was just "meh, so a guys pushes a dial slowly or something on the synth".

Yeah it'd be cooler if the actual corps did it but it's pretty much impossible to do it at that volume and in sync. Why is it so hard for people to appreciate a show, technology or not? It still sounds ####### cool.

• Like 2

If this "pitch bending" was done with the brass line using a half-valve technique I would actually be impressed. :cool:

• Like 2

I have never been a fan of the use of electronics in DCI shows. However, I really do think this is a cool use of it. I know several marching bands have also used this in the past, but I think Bluecoats is the best use I have ever seen. I feel like part of the reason this is so effective is because the show is so amazing all the way through. The show is spectacular, possibly the fan favorite of the year. I know it is my favorite show this year, which is the first time I have ever said that about Bluecoats. This show seems to be similar to Blue Devils and Crown(the ending this year reminds me so much of the Rach Star ending) of recent years, but there is something about it that is a little more enjoyable than some of those shows by the other two corps. I personally think at this point in the season, this is the best designed show of the year. I think this show could end up as high as 1st place, or as low as 5th, but I think it will probably be my favorite show still at the end of the season, regardless of placement. I have seen it live a few times now, and online quite a few times, and I still love the pitch bend, so I definitely think it is worth a thread. But the best thing about the pitch bend, is that it fits so well with the rest of the amazing show.

• Like 1

It's ######. I don't care if it's a synth or not. The hornline doesn't do the bend but they knock it out of the park on each end of it.

• Like 3

it is cool...

the problem is it doesn't take any talent to do, since it is all synth.

If this "pitch bending" was done with the brass line using a half-valve technique I would actually be impressed. :cool:

facepalm.jpg

• Like 4

That second video reaction is great! I love the mouths that drop when they hear it.

And to be honest as someone who was also at SA regional on Saturday, the effect is amazing live and the reaction was amazing. One of the best of the night.

I knew it was coming (only because I've played the Akron APD 40+ times) and it still was f'ing awesome.

What mouths that drop? Watched it 2 times and didn't see "mouth's drop". I was also expecting more of a reaction. It wasn't that great. Half the people, mostly down low, didn't even react.

What mouths that drop? Watched it 2 times and didn't see "mouth's drop". I was also expecting more of a reaction. It wasn't that great. Half the people, mostly down low, didn't even react.

Well it could of been the crappy connection, but it looks like the girls does down in the first few rows, looks like her moths fall open, and she says "WHAT?"

Unless she is yawning.. Which is a definite possibility.

Edited by ohwiseone