Can Bluecoats win gold?

Man, I'm hoping and praying Coats wins gold somehow. Their show is very creative and well done. I just cannot stand the Devils show at all and to me it's not a winning show. WTH is with Quasimoto dragging his bottom down that "catwalk" thing??? Most ridiculous thing I've seen. Just too much crap on the field.

Man, I'm hoping and praying Coats wins gold somehow. Their show is very creative and well done. I just cannot stand the Devils show at all and to me it's not a winning show. WTH is with Quasimoto dragging his bottom down that "catwalk" thing??? Most ridiculous thing I've seen. Just too much crap on the field.

Wow, I love BD this year and they are so innovative. The male guard member you are referring to is in a lot of pain and is saved by the female guard member who wraps her arms around him. I think that ballad is beautifully done. I also really like Bloo and their show is very entertaining. It lacks the emotion of BD, Cadets, Crown and SCV and it still needs a bunch of cleaning. I also think it lacks the complexity and layering of some of the other top shows. If they are ahead of Crown by 2 or more points tonight than I would say they still have a shot at Gold as the spread between BD and Crown was 2.9 yesterday. If they are even or just a few tenths above Crown then I do not see how they can close the gap with BD in a little over a week. It will also be interesting to see where Cadet's score falls in relation to Crown. If all three corps are within a point of each other then the fight is over for the Gold medal as BD has been almost three points ahead of Crown their last couple meetings.

If they are all within a point, and there are, what, 10 caption scores, do the math. The possibilities are endless. ESPECIALLY if the Finals panel is capable of making the tough choice, rather than the easy choice (meaning . . . simply crowning the corps than won the night before). There's a human tendency element here.

Edited by Fred Windish

Performance order is important on Finals night. If SCV is 5th after Semis, they will likely not win drums on Saturday night. In other words, no drum judge is going to paint themselves into a corner on Saturday night by giving SCV a 19.9 or 20.0 in drums with four corps left to perform.

This was the exact scenario Bluecoats' hornline faced in 2007. They were 1st in horns for almost every contest in 2007, including Semis. They performed 6th at Finals and the horns dropped somehow to 4th. The judges had to leave room for the other corps.

If there's one caption willing to put an early corps up, even if that means holding down the numbers of later groups, it's percussion. See 2010 Phantom.

• Like 1

Performance order is important on Finals night. If SCV is 5th after Semis, they will likely not win drums on Saturday night. In other words, no drum judge is going to paint themselves into a corner on Saturday night by giving SCV a 19.9 or 20.0 in drums with four corps left to perform.

This was the exact scenario Bluecoats' hornline faced in 2007. They were 1st in horns for almost every contest in 2007, including Semis. They performed 6th at Finals and the horns dropped somehow to 4th. The judges had to leave room for the other corps.

I think this scenario is what's so frustrating for so many. Can't they "calls it as they sees it"? I get the logic of leaving room, but if they feel a corps that goes on in 5th or 6th is "perfect", there is nothing wrong with that. I'm not sure what else can be done, but this is what frustrates a lot of people.