Can Bluecoats win gold?

someone please describe the new ending

Loud. Fast. Exciting. To name a few.

Bluecoats is setting incredibly solid footing for many years to come with this show. It proves the design staff knows how to make an engaging and competitive show, plus I imagine recruitment and audition numbers for next year will be astronomical.

• Like 2

No need to twist my post. My observation was based purely on the fact that Fugett awarded the corps with a greater crowd response. Notice I said "seems" rather than "is." Calm yourself.

1. I'm totally calm

2. Just answering rhetoric in kind (though admittedly snarky: I apologize). Trying to point out numbers tell only small part of the full story

3. Fugett has never shied away from ranking against the grain. Love the guy as a judge

4. Really, without listening to tapes there's normal lot or room to speculate where his mind was at

haha, I remember after last season I raised all kinds of fire about which corps spent X percent of their show playing standstill and how they compared against each other. That was a fun thread.... Anyways, in response to the OP's observation about this all I can say is, all corps do it. The finalist corps possibly do it more. But who can blame them? I remember some drill writer for the cavies (possibly Gaines, I can't remember) saying that his mantra as he approached the drill writing was to put the performers in the best possible position to succeed. If that means they aren't running halfway across the field while they play a difficult lick, so what? I'm sure the performers appreciate that they don't have to do crazy drill during the hardest parts of their music. I know I would.

Also, to comments about what type of show should win, I have a couple observations. The first is that there are many different interpretations on what a championship show should look and feel like. Some say the winner come August show have the hardest, most complex, but well performed show out there. Brings to mind BAC this year. They have a VERY difficult show and IMO are doing a decent job of it. However, they almost seem to be in a fight just to make finals (GASP! A DCI CONSPIRACY TO KEEP THEM OUT BECAUSE OF THEIR DERIDING OPINION OF THE G7 AND COMPARING THEM TO THE VILLAINS IN ANIMAL FARM. lol, jk.) But some fans want the most emotionally charged show, the show with the biggest wow moments and crowd pleasing sections to take the cake. That's the Bluecoats this year, for many, but not all, people. Then there are fans that want the best brass line to win the championship, the best visually, etc. Point is, none of us are on the same page with each other for what type of show should win. Ultimately, DCI and board of directors decides with each iteration of the judges sheets what the champion should bring to the field; and the judges do their best to find the corps that fills that vision. I heard an interview with Cesario on the fieldpass podcast (I think) where he said what the champion really should bring is something new and exciting and then perform it well. That's what DCI's artistic director wants to see in the champion, something new done well. Cesario said that was why the BD have A) won so much and B) have appeared to go off the deep end in some seasons trying to top themselves.

In short, I would love to see the Coats take their first gold this year. They definitely have something new, exciting, done very well. I think for those reasons they could top Cadets (for whom this season is business as usual). I haven't seen BD yet, so I can't compare there.

Nobody has really talked about the fact that the Coats have really closed the gap on Cadets.

Nashville, TN

2nd: Cadets 91.85

3rd: Bluecoats 91.5

Looks like the Cadets are not leaps and bounds above Coats like some have said and Bloo could jump Cadets tonight. But we'll see.

Nobody has really talked about the fact that the Coats have really closed the gap on Cadets.

Nashville, TN

Looks like the Cadets are not leaps and bounds above Coats like some have said and Bloo could jump Cadets tonight. But we'll see.

The Cadets fans jinxed it. Going to remain humble and hopeful.

• Like 1

Call me crazy, and this would be the longest of long-shots, but I could see Coats going into Indy a solid 3rd and coming out 1st.

It's the way these things work from time to time if there isn't a stone consensus Champion.

Right now you'd have to feel that's BD, but if it tightens up enough that there's doubt, funny things can happen.

Don't draw a chalk line through Bluecoats yet I think.

• Like 1

Call me crazy, and this would be the longest of long-shots, but I could see Coats going into Indy a solid 3rd and coming out 1st.

It's the way these things work from time to time if there isn't a stone consensus Champion.

Right now you'd have to feel that's BD, but if it tightens up enough that there's doubt, funny things can happen.

I would agree that it is possible.

We all know what consistency BD will have and a final push

We all know Cadets will bring a final visual blast to their already successful show

We know both know how to win and what to do

What we dont know is how BC will handle the last few weeks. Now this is a good and bad. The unknown can certainly work for them also knowing how the other 2 will react to the next few weeks. They do seem to be doing the right things at the right time.Make any sense?

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 3

...Sparticus, man...der BUZZ! Sitting in a room with a couple of jaded, knowledgable, corps nuts today...well, *I've* been pushin' BD all year just 'cuz they are the baddest-### thing out there...but that can be felled by buzz, momentum...whatever you want to call it. 'Coats have definitely got somethin' special goin', that's for dang sure! I tell ya...the buzz in that room was buzzin'!!!

Edited by chasgroh

Nashville, TN

No one has neither talked about how Crown is getting closer to Bluecoats again.

No one has neither talked about how Crown is getting closer to Bluecoats again.

Ooo passive aggressive