When your hopes and dreams fizzle out

You are adding a name that currently has no championship relevance (hasn't for a few years) to your concoction to increase the percentage of wins. Why not add SCV to your name and get to 95% sooner?

Your statements have an arbitrary basis (starting in 1976 and including 3 drumcorps). You set an exclusive premise in order to validate an arbitrary point.

In that line of thinking... 90% of DCI titles have been won since the beginning (not the arbitrary start date of 1976, when the devils fist won... to support your arbitrary point) by the Cadevalierguard.

Fuzzy math = fuzzy points.

Here.

I didn't ask for a substitution... I am pointing out your arbitrary starting date of 1976 (when the Devils first one). I am pointing out that SCV had 2 wins in the dates prior to that back to 1972 (when DCI championships started). I am pointing out that SCV continues to be a relevant contender (and typically always has). I am pointing out that if you dump your arbitrary start date and include SCV, then you are at a higher percentage which is 90%.

It seems to me that your limitations of 1976 in counting, and your disregard for SCV (who has won quite a few championships) seems to stem from a fixation on or affinity for 2000-2006.

Again here.

Unedited posts.

In response to yours... I offered this... but it's a completely dubious and pointless endeavor. Which was my real point.

Each member is focusing on a few things: making it through day-to-day, perfecting their individual performance, looking forward to their home show, and 'when is the next food stop'?? How could a member even begin to focus on or worry about scores? Scores are completely out of their control.

As far as the staff is concerned, they need to worry about scores, but even then scores primarily rely on design. Very few staff members have control over design. Clean your section and keep the members motivated. Period.

I said it on page 3 and again on page 4. I can say that you didn't read it... because you indicated that you didn't when you said that I never said it... when I did.

No you didn't. You only utilized initially a 3 year lookback period from 1972 where you wanted to" arbitrarily "start from 1972( DCI's inception year ) instead of my " arbitrarly selected" elected year of 1976 ( BD's first win in DCI ) You made an oblique reference to SCV being included in your personal preference ( after incorrectly stating that the Cavs in their history have had less than a decade of title winning years ). You never included the names of your 4 Corps until just now, and did not include your moniker for your 4 Corps until just now either, and as of yet have taken no future position on whether or not these 4 Corps you selected will replicate this historic " 90% " percentage figure over the next 35 years ( as I did with my just 3 Corps selected ).

Do you believe that your 4 Corps ( not my 3 Corps ) will win approx. 95% of the titles over the next 35 years as they have for the last 35-40 years ? Why ?... or Why not ?

Edited by BRASSO

Brass cleaning product.

warning label from said product:

Warnings: DANGER: HARMFUL OR FATAL IF SWALLOWED. EYE AND SKIN IRRITANT. VAPORS HARMFUL IF INHALED. COMBUSTIBLE. Do not ingest. DO NOT inhale. DO NOT breathe dust from dried product. Use product in a well ventilated area. Keep away from heat, sparks and flame. Keep container closed when not in use. Contains petroleum distillates and silica. KEEP OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN

I think more posters on DCP should take note of this warning and keep a safe distance !

Edited by corpsband
  • Like 2

I think most reasonable people can understand that a Corps rising up in the very infancy and formative years of DCI ( 1973 TO 1976 ) when DCI itself was started in 1972, is not the same as the possibilty of such a corps going from 24th to 1st in 3 years today in DCI. Nobody even remotely familiar with modern day DCI believes for a moment that a DCI Corps could go from 24th to 1st in 3 years in today's DCI. Its just fall down in laughter funny ridiculous to think we'll see anything even remotely close to this kind of 3 year placement movement in the next 50 years in DCI. That kind of placement movement has come and gone and is just totally out of the question in DCI's future.

Now look who is belittling the historical success of a great organization.

I didn't posit any such idea as you suggest. My point is, however, that competition was certainly legitimate back then (as it is now)... there were perennial winners back then (as there are now)... and longevity counts for something. In spite of some people suggesting things like:

"Then they reach that top tier pinnacle for a year or 2 for the first time, then begin their placement slide, as The Cadevaliers reassert their dominance one more. Without a long history of survival against all odds, and periods of adversity withstood, such Corps who rose up fast eventually disappear"

Everything begins somewhere. Every success has a story. Some of these stories are old and forgotten... and brushed over with cynicism.

The only DCI champion to ever eventually disappear (apart from Star, arguably they didn't disappear) was the Kingsmen (champion No. 1). All other champions are still thriving... and continue, usually in finals contention.

Back to the OP, none of the other previous champion corps would be a demoralizing place to march... and even lose a title. PR, SCV, Scouts, Crown.

Brass cleaning product.

Lol

Edited by Pes49

I think it has a lot to do with how the staff approaches the situation. In a top tier corps like Crown, my guess is that they are staying positive and trying to relate that to the marching members. Bad morale is like cancer. Once it starts it can spread like wildfire.

exactly.

I wont name the corps, but let's just say a few years ago they made a splash and placed higher than ever. the next year, everyone loved the opening to their show....and that was it, and placement fell.

at a clinic with said corps, a staff member was asked how they were handling the fact that a year ago they were a player, and now here they are staring up at corps they beat last season. The staff member said 'some years you just nail it. Some you don't. So on those you don't, you smile, and hope to make it as good as you can and let the kids know it's not them, just keep busting their butts."

seems they've been ok since

• Like 1

Oops. Sorry

Edited by Pes49