When your hopes and dreams fizzle out

In defense of the Cavaliers... looking at corpsreps.com, The Cavaliers first medaled in DCI in 1986. http://corpsreps.com/corpsreps.cfm?view=corpsdet&corps=9&corpstype=Junior In the 28 years since, they medaled/top-3'd 19 of those years, vs 9 not.

Compare that to the other medalists in that same time, almost 3 decades...

Blue Devils - 21 medal years, 7 not

(Cavaliers - 19 medals, 9 not)

Cadets - 18 medalist years, 10 not

---

Phantom Regiment - 9 medal years, 19 not

Vanguard - 8 medal years, 20 not

Carolina Crown - 3 medal years, 17 not

Madison Scouts - 1 medal year, 27 not

Bluecoats - 1 medal year, 27 not

It's still a Cadeviliers world, as far as I'm concerned...

Mike

Excellent stats and your point is a good one. Saying the Cavaliers are not really one of the BIG 3 of the last 30+ years is wrong. Now with your stats, if you go back a few more years Garfield/TheCadets would have 4 more medal years (82-85), and BD would have a bunch more. But the point is a good one.

From 1986 onward the Cavaliers jumped into the mix. In fact, when Star of Indiana hit their peak (89-93) the Cavaliers were in that mix too. It was BD that was sometimes just slightly out.

• Top 3 1989 - SCV, Phantom, Cavaliers
  • Top 3 1990 - The Cadets, Cavaliers, Star of Indiana
  • Top 3 1991 - Star, Cavaliers, Phantom
  • Top 3 1992 - Cavaliers, Cadets, Star
  • Top 3 1993 - Cadets, Star, Phantom

Cavies medaled every year in there except 1993, and they also medaled in 1986 and 87. The Blue Devils were out of medal position every year from 1987, 88, 89, 90, 91, 92, and 93.

Now, none of us ever counted them out; and most of us still felt BD were a giant in the activity, but the BIG 3 for a small period (89-93) was Star, Cadets, Cavaliers -- with Phantom and BD knocking at the door occasionally.

Bigger Picture

Since Star left so soon, it became clear that the most consistent winners were BD, Cadets, and Cavaliers. Cavaliers run in the 90s includes 2 titles and a number of top 5 finishes. They didn't knock out top 3 finishes each year in the 90s, but neither did Cadets or BD. Come the 2000s though they became dominant with a unique style that was difficult to beat; and the 5 titles in 7 years really solidified their place among the elite.

Edited by jwillis35

exactly.

I wont name the corps, but let's just say a few years ago they made a splash and placed higher than ever. the next year, everyone loved the opening to their show....and that was it, and placement fell.

at a clinic with said corps, a staff member was asked how they were handling the fact that a year ago they were a player, and now here they are staring up at corps they beat last season. The staff member said 'some years you just nail it. Some you don't. So on those you don't, you smile, and hope to make it as good as you can and let the kids know it's not them, just keep busting their butts."

seems they've been ok since

Bluecoats 2010-2011? Lol

No you didn't. You only utilized initially a 3 year lookback period from 1972 where you wanted to" arbitrarily "start from 1972( DCI's inception year ) instead of my " arbitrarly selected" elected year of 1976 ( BD's first win in DCI ) You made an oblique reference to SCV being included in your personal preference ( after incorrectly stating that the Cavs in their history have had less than a decade of title winning years ). You never included the names of the Corps until just now, and did not incluse your moniker for it until just now, and as of yet have taken no future position on whether or not these Corps you selected will replicate this historic " 90% " percentage figure over the next 35 years ( as I did with mine ).

It's in black and white for all to read... even you.

Rewrite as you may try. You can't change what I said.

I posted the quotes for you to read here at the top of page 7. You apparently didn't look back, so I helped you out.

Frustrating. Isn't it?

Hmm, I was thinking Crown 2009-2010, but that works, too.

That probably works a bit better :smile:

What is this thread about again...

How much will Crown marchers feelings be hurt if they don't repeat... and how to keep the marchers focused when their " hopes and dreams fizzle out "( OP's thread title )

Edited by BRASSO

How much will Crown marchers feelings be hurt if they don't repeat.

My question was a bit rhetorical but thank you BRASSO!

I think I said it already but I feel that the guys at Crown haven't given up just yet and will be proud of their production this year, regardless of whether they medal or not. They certainly have one of the crowd favorites this year.

If last year's waffles aren't as good as this year's waffles, maybe there's some disappointment, but even bad waffles are still waffles. Not everyone, even the top waffle chefs, get to have the best waffles every year like they want. And I think that's a pretty well recognized life lesson by waffle eaters at all tables.

Factoid: Since Mayan Calender Year 12 Baktun, 89.7% of waffles have been eaten by the Cadevilwaffleiers.

Edited by troon8

If last year's waffles aren't as good as this year's waffles, maybe there's some disappointment, but even bad waffles are still waffles. Not everyone, even the top waffle chefs, get to have the best waffles every year like they want.

Factoid: Since Mayan Calender Year 12 Baktun, 89.7% of waffles have been eaten by the Cadevilwaffleiers.

But why would you start at year 12... isn't that an arbitrary starting point? And clearly the waffleiers have a record every bit as good as the eggo regiment... why leave out the regiment? You could get to 95.3% if you bump to year 1 and include the eggo's man!!!