Official Atlanta/Southeastern Regional running thread

Totally irrelevant since they are refereeing a sport with a specific set of objective rules that anyone can learn and get practice in. Judging subjective material such as art or music is not comparable unless you're just looking for things like "guard member out of step, they dropped the rifle there, they stepped out of bounds".

And anyone cannot get practice in judging the marching arts, including DCI?

Do you think they just dropped someone in that has no idea what they are doing? Surely they have gone through training and met certain standards required of DCI judges?

Flame me for this...

"Oh look, chairs. Again."

"Oh look, clothes racks. Again."

"Oh look, a concert jazz piece for our standstill section. Again."

"Oh look, an opportunity for a terrible trumpet soloist, plus an out-of-place but so wants to be cool hangover. Again."

"Oh look, scatter drill. Slow half-time marching. A broken line across the field. Again. And Again. And Again."

We can all argue about stuff that is redundant. But when it comes to choosing what I would prefer to hear/watch (if it's even redundant to begin with) it would ABSOLUTELY be a magnificent hornline that is doing something that nobody else can do, or has ever done for that matter, in this activity.

Sorry.

• Like 7

Disagree.

Klesch is probably the most hands-off arranger in drum corps. His arrangements always respect the original.

I want to amend this to say that it takes AMAZING SKILL to do that. Didn't want to give the impression that hands-off means he just transposes music. FAR from it.

wow you guys are defensive...

I just hope (and frankly think) they'll go in a different direction next year - this year got away from them a little bit

isn't the first time this has happened - a lot of the same folks had this issue in Cadets 91 and Cadets 2006, again with incredible membership talent both of those years... Just like Crown this year

Crown looked great last night - they are my dark horse for second and I really think can/very well likely will take Cadets out

I am not a fan of Crown's overall product this year. It's not even one of my Top 5 favorite Crown shows. I can probably name 7 shows I'd prefer to watch over this.

But I defend what their hornline is doing, whether or not people think it is redundant. Because frankly, it is incredible and STANDARD setting. There is nothing in the history of brasslines in the activity that matches what Crown has done the past few years. While people will argue and defend what Blue Devils are doing as standard setting in terms of visual design (which it very well could be argued it is), I just can't agree that it equals what Crown is accomplishing with their horns. Groups can evolve and adapt visual concepts and throw it into their future productions and teach that. But what Crown is doing takes a very VERY special type of staff and experienced musician to do. Until those tambourines that BD's guard is using can be lit on fire, thrown 40 yards to land on the snare heads, all while monkey drumming (followed by the guard giving victory lap dances...), I just can't give as much credit to what I SEE from other corps vs. what I HEAR from Crown.

It's just that good. And to me, as a brass guy, it's what defines this activity. And that is spoken realizing the champion won't be winning drums or bugles this year, which quite frankly I find to be a travesty.

But alas, that's just my opinion.

Edited by IMcomguy

I think Bluecoats seriously need to watch out...

The other 4 corps in the top 5 have proven before that they can make a push in the last 2 weeks of the season, something Bluecoats has yet to prove as of yet (2007 is a great example when they started off strong and kept slipping back and back)...

Bluecoats definitely have a lot of cleaning to do so they are more than capable of making that push, it's just a matter of seeing them finally do it though.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see them slip down to 5th but with cleaning they could, and that's a BIG could, end up in 2nd come finals.

I can't wait to see it all happen in Indy!

I love Bluecoats show this year (one of the few that I've loved, I've liked quite a few) and hope they max it out, but have to agree with the above quote. Year after year, they tend to peak about a week or two earlier than finals and watch all the others pass them by. I hope this isn't true this year as I want to see this show excell. We'll see.

Well I'll be a homer of a different kind.... Cavies better worry less bout the judges and more bout keeping BK off their 6!! They were ahead of BK by 3 points not too long ago now down to .95. Word from the corps is that there's a positive take no prisoner work ethic by the members and they're hungry for more

Well, since last night was their first actual meeting in person, I'd say your statement about being 3 points ahead really doesn't hold weight. Blue Knights are certainly building steam and both corps are having great seasons. However, I doubt a corps with as many championships as The Cavaliers are either worried about the judges or really care who is behind or above them. I'm sure their members are "hungry" as well and are pushing to make a statement of their own. Heck, I hope they both jump into the top 5! :smile:

• Like 1

Crown's horns are absolutely fantastic. I think that the music that they picked (which contains so many fast runs) demonstrates the same skill over and over and over again. I think that's where the 'notes for the sake of notes' comment comes from.

The staff picked music that demonstrates that skill - A LOT. It's not the only one they demonstrate, of course... but it's the one they repeat over and over again.

It's all just personal opinion, nothing that's bashing that magnificent hornline.

My .02, anyway.

Here's the thing... They picked MUSIC that demonstrates the same skill over and over again. It's MUSIC, that draws people to shows, not showing a diverse set of skills.

So do corps design shows with entertainment in mind or do they just go down a checklist and demonstrate a diverse set of skills? The music is what it is. So should they not play it because it uses the same set of skills?

Well, since last night was their first actual meeting in person, I'd say your statement about being 3 points ahead really doesn't hold weight. Blue Knights are certainly building steam and both corps are having great seasons. However, I doubt a corps with as many championships as The Cavaliers are either worried about the judges or really care who is behind or above them. I'm sure their members are "hungry" as well and are pushing to make a statement of their own. Heck, I hope they both jump into the top 5! :smile:

To be fair they met in San Antonio and Houston....

wow you guys are defensive...

I just hope (and frankly think) they'll go in a different direction next year - this year got away from them a little bit

isn't the first time this has happened - a lot of the same folks had this issue in Cadets 91 and Cadets 2006, again with incredible membership talent both of those years... Just like Crown this year

Crown looked great last night - they are my dark horse for second and I really think can/very well likely will take Cadets out

Ok. Cadets '91 was an experimentation year after winning. After they had won 5 times in 7 years, why not try something that they know isn't going to be popular with the fans?

2006 was a miss after handily winning in 2005.

Gessh, I'm not a Cadets homer anymore, but seriously? Those two examples are nothing like Crown this year. ...and the year isn't even over.