Official Atlanta/Southeastern Regional running thread

George you seemed to think Cadets had good shows the past 2 nights, and should be solidly in 2nd, but today it seems you think they will end up 4th or 5th. What changed your mind? The recaps?

yup. I still think they had a good run & I still think they should be in second - so none of that changed

the recaps are becoming much more mixed for Cadets - especially GE - and unless they do something to shake up the trend they MIGHT drop - I didn't say they will end up 4th or 5th - but I do think it is likely unless something changes that they will drop at least a spot. Two weeks ago their lead was much more formidable.

I'm just being realistic.

The other thing changing my mind is the progress and changes Crown has put in place - I think they have the show now to overtake the Cadets - now they just need to clean

I would say that a lot of scalar runs, particularly in brass friendly keys, tends to sound "monotone" after a while. Brass gymnastics are great and while they are clearly the technically superior brass program in the activity today, you don't always have to do everything. I still think they would win brass if they had even a third less technical demand in the show. I'm also a believer that the program and music is a direct reflection of the personality of the arrangers and instructors. I have no idea who they are personally, but it certainly seems to often be a "testosterone driven" approach to music making. But, I guess so is drum corps in general... :cool:

They just "play the game" better than the rest right now and if you can win and still play in Bb and Eb major, go for it! I just feel that the other keys and tonalities have some interesting colors as well and luckily there are enough other corps playing in those keys to make the whole picture and sonic pallet of a drum corps show worthwhile. To each his own I guess!

Wow this has turned into BD style versus Crown style... lol

Personally, I find crown's hornline vastly superior in sound and balance than others. I would find it a shame if they used that sound on dissonant chords and odd keys rather than an ear pleasing key. Crown's hornline remains as a fresh break to me from the more dark and esoteric shows.

• Like 1

Stop whining about his whining about the whining.

Sorry, don't mean to whine.

Hmmm...I could use a glass of wine.

You want some cheese with that whine:)

Personally, I find crown's hornline vastly superior in sound and balance than others. I would find it a shame if they used that sound on dissonant chords and odd keys rather than an ear pleasing key. Crown's hornline remains as a fresh break to me from the more dark and esoteric shows.

If you are speaking merely from a major/minor standpoint, what are the "ear pleasing" keys and what are the "odd" (or non-ear pleasing keys judging by the context of your statement) keys?

• Like 1

How many corps are alive today compared to 10 years ago?

I have always thought the Atlanta attendance is helped out by a number of factors.

The top five scoring corps and remainder of the so called top G7-8 are 250 miles away the night before.

This is the only place in the southeast US that fans can see every world class corps, unless one decides to travel to Nashville, Charlotte, Huntsville, etc. and hope these shows are all on different nights.

There are no DCI shows south of Atlanta, i.e Florida. The Saturday show time makes it easier to travel on Friday night/Saturday morning.

The Atlanta show is awesome every year! It's definitely the show I recommend you go to if you can't make championships. All corps seem like they treat it more like a practice run for championships more so than Allentown so the energy from the corps is second to only championships. Couple that with the fact that it's a great venue and that there's a lot to do in Atlanta and you have a recipe for a great show.

• Like 1

I dislike domes. I used to go to the Indy regional at the old RCA dome before they had Finals there. The acoustics were just as bad.

I think the best regional venue would have to be Allentown, with Minneapolis a close 2nd (although they didn't have it this year due to MLB All-Star game).

I guess I would have to say that one might be less likely to go there, but attendance is up.

And btw - the reason why we don't have 300 some odd corps in the country anymore is because it's become too expensive and VFW and American Legion halls can no longer afford it.

Has nothing to do with DCI.

BoyWonder1911 -

So far, we haven't heard anyone complain about the acoustics in Atlanta. I wasn't there (for drum corps) but couldn't tell any problem via FanNetwork. We hear often about how bad Indy is, wonder why there, and not Atlanta?

In any case, INDOOR is the only way to go with certain events, particularly DCI Finals. Any sound issues should be taken in stride considering the total package. DCI can stay there for a very long time.