SCV not in 1st? why?!@?!?!

Why is SCV currently not sitting in first place. Aside from the obvious scoring reasons. I have no idea. The fact the DCI judges are pretty much the same judges since 2000, its still probably only a coincidence that SCV is sitting in 5th right now when we look at the SCV results since 2000.

2000....4th

2001....4th

2002....4th

2003....5th

2004....3rd

2005....8th

2006....6th

2007....5th

2008....7th

2009....5th

2010....7th

2011....6th

2012....5th

2013....4th

Adding the placements since we entered the era of the 2000's, SCV has averaged 5th place over this time period of the last 14 DCI competitive seasons.

I have no idea either why its apparently such a surprise to some that SCV is currently sitting today in July 2014 in exactly the same placement position ( 5th ) that they have been on average for the last 15 years since we've entered the 2000's era.

Add in the 10 years before that and they are still averaging 5th place. Not sure what the point is, unless you think the judges have somehow been dishonest in their scoring.

So which years do you think the bulk of the judging community has been dishonest in how they were scored? And who are the most dishonest judges in your opinion?

• Like 1

I'll say this about SCV... I can't think of a Corps in recent memory that has utilized the use of color in a show more effectively than they have this year.. the unis, the guard, the silks, etc are all a visual treat throughout their show... and its all capped of wonderfully at the end at midfield.

• Like 3

Bitter...party of one...your table is ready! :tounge2:

• Like 3

Well played, BRASSO! (8:17 post)

As for Santa Clara, They sure look DCI Champion quality to me. If that should somehow happen, I won't question it. In any event, a final placing of Second is a very real possibility. This will be fun.

Earlier, someone pointed out how SOLID the top strata is this year. Is it ever! When everything is said and done, I'll be pleased for the champion, but more sad than I've ever been for those placing under them. This final result will be brutal.

Many good reason they are not.but here's the top 10

10. Too many melodies

9. A show that is emotional

8 Not enough un needed block chords that show the art of stagger breathing that is so "in" this year

7. Not enough useless crap on the field

6. No use of narration to confuse or lecture the people in the stands

5 Not one table featured on the field

4 Guard uniforms actually make sense with the show

3 Musical runs that actually make sense with regards to the actual music played and just not stuck somewhere to show the Arban abilities

2 No use of laying down to create a company front from 30 to 30

1. Lack of time for the slow people to notice the mirror image SCV appear and disappear as well as the number 1

This has to be in the top 3 post's I've seen this year! haha good one sir.

This might be the best top 5 in quite a long time, so it goes without saying that corps with a great shows might not win. You have to look at the judging sheets. As much as they want to say that crowd connection is heavily weighed, the sheets don't reflect that. 40% of the score is GE and 60% of performance analysis based on content. Ultimately, a good show will help boost your score, but being clean with strong content visually and musically is ultimately what wins championships. I know this may seem obvious, but sometimes we get wrapped up into great shows and forget this simple concept.

OK, I am going to touch the subject everyone is afraid to talk about. What is "Clean" about the circles that Blue Devils make when they create the design of a movie camera? This design is done multiple times in the show and it has never been clean. I challenge anyone to show me a video this year of a clean circle form in that design. They make a clean circle when they wrap around the tables. However, the two circle film reels on the top of a camera design has never been clean on any of the Fan Network shows I have seen.

We can all find "dirty" spots in any show from any corps. This is just an item that has been a problem for BD all year.

Don't get me wrong. I love the show Blue Devils has put on the field this year. It deserves to be near or at the top. However, 2 points ahead of everyone (1.5 in Carolina on Sunday), is a little hard to understand. Cadets are showing how a clean white pants marching style can look amazing. Bluecoats are pulling the audience to their show like no one since 2008 Regiment. SCV is beautiful in design. Crown is challenging the barriers of space and sound (pun intended). Cavies have an artistic feel in their closer drill that brings memories of their championship years.

All I can say, is that it is in the eyes and ears of the judges on the field and in the press box that put their "subjective" thoughts down on the sheets no matter what the sheets claim to be built on.

Edited by Old Corps Guy
  • Like 1

As a sidenote, I watched the movie "The Butler" today for the first time and a Cadets show broke out. :spitting:

• Like 1

I am not kidding....

Why is SCV not in first place?!?!?!?!

This is the most heart wrenching beautiful. show ever done on a field yet it's barely scratching 3rd? NO wAY HOSER!

OK, I'll bite

With the exception of the percussion section, right now the corps is not as clean as the corps above them (both brass & visual), and just doesn't generate the depth of effect as the corps above them. That could change in the next few weeks as they clean up and continue tweaking the show, but right now 5th is right around where they should be, IMO (and judges' opinion too apparently).

Except he left off, "relatively filthy both visually and musically compared to Top 3, let alone Blue Devils," as well as, "has a fairly myopic level of effect that doesn't really come close to the depth of Blue Devils, Cadets, Bluecoats, or Crown."

Maybe that will change as they clean, but that BS lack-of-understanding of how to read a recap that the other mike posted, while humorously facetious, is, well, lacking any sort of understanding. Even just a glance at the Atlanta recap will give a pretty good idea of why SCV is sitting 5th.

Also, as others have mentioned, this is an amazing year of great shows & talented corps: one of the better Top 5's that I can think of in a long time! Being great only moves you up the ranks if you're greater than everyone else, but this year BD, Cadets, Bluecoats, Crown are all currently greater than SCV (Crown has cleaned up a bit since I saw them a week or two ago)