One Person's Thoughts on Animal Farm.

The execution scores across captions were lower than the corps who were in the 5th-7th groupings. It had nothing to do with being embraced or not; the show was simply never anywhere clean enough in brass, percussion, guard, or marching for it to be a threat to the middle of the pack. Had it been cleaner, the GE impact would have been improved, along with the execution numbers.

very true!

I also heard that "corps" was censored in the stream in the closing line "All corps were created equal, but some more than others" of their show. Interesting...

This is entirely false. I just watched it, it's heard loud and clear. Don't believe everything you hear on the internet. :)

I also just watched Semis and Prelims (and previous shows, Allentown, etc.) and those closer flags were the same but with only the red background previously. The purple "DCI" was indeed added for only Finals night.

Bravo Boston!

• Like 4

very true!

Is there some reason that people find it necessary to acknowledge points of agreement with very little substantial commentary?...Is this not what some other detractors have essentially stated in the BAC thread all season already NUMEROUS times? I haven't commented for the reason that those probably would just consider me a homer and my opinion irrelevant, but this type of commentary is really getting quite a bit tiresome.

I am not saying that I disagree with any particular placement, but it just seems real easy for those to just say "dirty". I've even heard some claim that Bluecoats show was dirty. That comment just has to make me laugh. Cadets 2011 and Phantom Regiment 2008 drill was definitely dirty and they won, so this argument is just so ridiculous.

GE is where they really got hammered in finals, was VERY surprised to see that Visual was all the way up in 9th (would have been 8th if it wasn't for Blue Stars Color Guard score). If you think that drill was clean, as hard as it was, you are blind. It was pretty dirty. I loved a lot of it, but it never got clean enough. They got credit for the composition all season with much lower execution scores. Percussion seemed a little odd as well, they'd been averaging around 7th - 9th and were 10th in finals. GE's the only one you could really argue about the judges not giving credit. They were getting credit visually.

Regardless, I think this show did exactly what it was intended to. Got people thinking, ###### some people off, and has a huge amount of discussion and will for years to come. Something tells me they're coming for blood next year.

Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 1

Yeah. I think this was Boston's attempt to reboot the attitude of the corps itself and get people auditioning because, "Thats ######, I wanna be a part of that!" All the antics at finals from the baby powder at semis (is there a video of that from the tunnel out there somewhere?) to waggling a bottle of it from the DM stand on finals night and the flags just gives the corps an aura of swagger and defiance.

I think next year is going to be about a show that hits on that swagger (with Conquest of course, it is the anniversary year) and yet try to be more cleanable. I do expect them to keep pushing for more demand, with returning members and perhaps more interest in auditions, they can get the talent they need to pull off a higher demand show.

This show had a bit too many uncleanable moments for this corps membership. But they had a hell of a lot of fun giving us a great show with it!

• Like 1

Is there some reason that people find it necessary to acknowledge points of agreement with very little substantial commentary?...Is this not what some other detractors have essentially stated in the BAC thread all season already NUMEROUS times? I haven't commented for the reason that those probably would just consider me a homer and my opinion irrelevant, but this type of commentary is really getting quite a bit tiresome.

I am not saying that I disagree with any particular placement, but it just seems real easy for those to just say "dirty". I've even heard some claim that Bluecoats show was dirty. That comment just has to make me laugh. Cadets 2011 and Phantom Regiment 2008 drill was definitely dirty and they won, so this argument is just so ridiculous.

You really want a play by play account of what some feel were wrong? maybe its kind of easy to see that those close to the situation have a very thin skin. Those corps at the top take much more in the opinion department. Those other corps you mentioned being dirty , well there's dirty and there is beyond dirt . I spent 2 years on staff at Bac and know how hard it is for many of the honks to take the critique. That's fine I get it but if you really want a play by play then fine, just be ready to take it then. People I thought , even when they didnt like something , were very supportive and respectful to BAC . Not a courtesy all corps get.

Just be sure you know what you are asking. If you don't want a simple I agree with another poster then saddle up.

With that said , Boston is a well respected corps and I do think they took a big risk. That is a good thing. It was nice to see the thinking out of the box and staying true to the vision. YES it never was cleaned to what it needed to be .Did it improve, of course but so did every other corps. At some point STAFF needs to look at what works or doesnt. There are some new to the BC staff who are very well known in some arena's for stomping their feet and never listening. There was time after time those saying how hard.. Yeah so what? I can give Pio the Blue Cts show and say well it's hard, so what .If you can't do it you can't do it. I heard in the beginning OH the guard is doing 7s and 8s, yeah , so what, so is everyone else including some OC corps. Judges would rather see a great 5 or 6 than a crappy 7 or 8.

Boston got alot of attention, maybe more than ever. Maybe good maybe some not so good BUT as long as it works for them and staff it's ok what they did or didnt do.

OK better than an I agree? Sorry if I sounded abrupt , it's usually not my style, until provoked..lol..You did ask.

Good Luck BAC

staff member 2 years

PS: why wouldn't you opinion be a valid opinion being a homer?

Edited by GUARDLING

This is entirely false. I just watched it, it's heard loud and clear. Don't believe everything you hear on the internet. :)

I also just watched Semis and Prelims (and previous shows, Allentown, etc.) and those closer flags were the same but with only the red background previously. The purple "DCI" was indeed added for only Finals night.

Bravo Boston!

Thanks for verifying.

I am not saying that I disagree with any particular placement, but it just seems real easy for those to just say "dirty". I've even heard some claim that Bluecoats show was dirty.

it's easy because it's obvious. It's like trying to argue with JFK conspiracy theorists; all of the "what ifs" aren't nearly as compelling as the most significant basic evidence that points to a relatively obvious truth.

Boston was 10th not because they were controversial (the judges have nothing to do with DCI politics) but because they didn't execute what they were given and because some of it was probably uncleanable from the get-go."Theme" doesn't factor into it.

Great corps, good organization, they'll do better next year.

Edited by Slingerland
  • Like 3