One Person's Thoughts on Animal Farm.

I thought Boston's G7 drill was incredible. After all, it's just drill right? A split second formation for those in the know.

I did not like the baby powder, the voice over or the flag. I thought they were over the top.

It wasn't just the message that the voice over was conveying, it was the fact that it did not fit in with every sound coming out of the show up until then. It came across as pushed in - as subtle as Madonna.

Then there was the flag. Another "Madonnaesque" action.

You want to build a champion? Then design the show of a champion. Those additions were not those of a champion.

Sorry, but that pretty much sums up how I feel about those additions.

Edited by Lincoln
  • Like 2

I thought Boston's G7 drill was incredible. After all, it's just drill right? A split second formation for those in the know.

I did not like the baby powder, the voice over or the flag. I thought they were over the top.

It wasn't just the message that the voice over was conveying, it was the fact that it did not fit in with every sound coming out of the show up until then. It came across as pushed in - as subtle as Madonna.

Then there was the flag. Another "Madonnaesque" action.

You want to build a champion? Then design the show of a champion. Those additions were not those of a champion.

Sorry, but that pretty much sums up how I feel about those additions.

there were several people who asked me , why the BAC tarps at the end? I think I asked in the BC thread but noone answered.

there were several people who asked me , why the BAC tarps at the end? I think I asked in the BC thread but noone answered.

You probably know Boston Crusaders traditional nickname has been BAC, meaning Boston Area Crusaders to some, Bad ### Crusaders to others. That's why so many people use BAC in DCP posts.

My understanding is the BAC tarps were one of the spoofs added to the show, quite possibly of Cadets tarps. Reasonably good BAC source for this info, when he's correct he's spot on, but he's not always accurate. A better source said nothing except "you old enough to know know what BAC means" and smiled when I asked if it was a Cadets spoof. What I can say for certain is if they use the tarps as part of the 75th anniversary show, it will not mean what it meant in this year's show.

Edited by Tim K
  • Like 1

My understanding is the BAC tarps were one of the spoofs added to the show, quite possibly of Cadets tarps. Reasonably good BAC source for this info, when he's correct he's spot on, but he's not always accurate. A better source said nothing except "you old enough to know know what BAC means" and smiled when I asked if it was a Cadets spoof. What I can say for certain is if they use the tarps as part of the 75th anniversary show, it will not mean what it meant in this year's show.

HMMMM...Oh :sigh:

Edited by GUARDLING
  • Like 1

HMMMM...Oh :sigh:

The spoofs were clever, others being the talcum powder at finals and the trombone in the pit, but unless remembered prelims or knew BAC's disgust about trombones (vocal opponents, voted against the change), it most likely didn't register.

You really want a play by play account of what some feel were wrong? maybe its kind of easy to see that those close to the situation have a very thin skin. Those corps at the top take much more in the opinion department. Those other corps you mentioned being dirty , well there's dirty and there is beyond dirt . I spent 2 years on staff at Bac and know how hard it is for many of the honks to take the critique. That's fine I get it but if you really want a play by play then fine, just be ready to take it then. People I thought , even when they didnt like something , were very supportive and respectful to BAC . Not a courtesy all corps get.

Just be sure you know what you are asking. If you don't want a simple I agree with another poster then saddle up.

With that said , Boston is a well respected corps and I do think they took a big risk. That is a good thing. It was nice to see the thinking out of the box and staying true to the vision. YES it never was cleaned to what it needed to be .Did it improve, of course but so did every other corps. At some point STAFF needs to look at what works or doesnt. There are some new to the BC staff who are very well known in some arena's for stomping their feet and never listening. There was time after time those saying how hard.. Yeah so what? I can give Pio the Blue Cts show and say well it's hard, so what .If you can't do it you can't do it. I heard in the beginning OH the guard is doing 7s and 8s, yeah , so what, so is everyone else including some OC corps. Judges would rather see a great 5 or 6 than a crappy 7 or 8.

Boston got alot of attention, maybe more than ever. Maybe good maybe some not so good BUT as long as it works for them and staff it's ok what they did or didnt do.

OK better than an I agree? Sorry if I sounded abrupt , it's usually not my style, until provoked..lol..You did ask.

Good Luck BAC

staff member 2 years

PS: why wouldn't you opinion be a valid opinion being a homer?

Thank you for expressing your opinion and MUCH better than "I agree."

Yeah. I think this was Boston's attempt to reboot the attitude of the corps itself and get people auditioning because, "Thats ######, I wanna be a part of that!" All the antics at finals from the baby powder at semis (is there a video of that from the tunnel out there somewhere?) to waggling a bottle of it from the DM stand on finals night and the flags just gives the corps an aura of swagger and defiance.

I think next year is going to be about a show that hits on that swagger (with Conquest of course, it is the anniversary year) and yet try to be more cleanable. I do expect them to keep pushing for more demand, with returning members and perhaps more interest in auditions, they can get the talent they need to pull off a higher demand show.

This show had a bit too many uncleanable moments for this corps membership. But they had a hell of a lot of fun giving us a great show with it!

I agree with most of what you said here except for your comments about talent...there was nothing wrong with BAC's talent...perhaps the show pushed members to beyond their actual capability (I think it is more dealing with the actual style of how the new creativity staff works)...but it was in no way because of the lack of talent of the members IMO.

• Like 1

Oh certainly. It wasn't meant as a slight on the talent of the performers this year. They did a stellar job. It's just that this show was, as you said, perhaps pushing them beyond where they could go in the time they had to get there.

I think some of that was changes being made throughout the season chewing into cleaning time in rehearsals and there were so many elements of that show that would need serious cleaning.

If they had the show they ended with on day one, they probably could have cleaned it a good deal more and gotten it much higher. But we all know it doesn't work that way!

That said, they did improve that show dramatically in the pushes of the last few weeks of the season. I saw them in Ft. Wayne and thought, "This show is TOUGH. I wanna see it cleaner so it shines!" And they certainly got it shiny! But not clean enough to move up the scoresheets in the era that seems to reward cleanness over the attempt to go for tougher content.

I agree with most of what you said here except for your comments about talent...there was nothing wrong with BAC's talent...perhaps the show pushed members to beyond their actual capability (I think it is more dealing with the actual style of how the new creativity staff works)...but it was in no way because of the lack of talent of the members IMO.

Agreed.

And by the way, has it occurred to anyone that the brief voice-over at the end of the show was also satirical? Just like the closer flags, the baby powder, the upside down trombone notes, the knock-kneed visual, etc.

And GUARDLING, you say you taught BAC for two years. Good.

I taught (drill) for BAC for 7 years and have been writing for and teaching high school bands for more than 30. I also have judged. Boston was NOT as dirty as some folks here claim, despite the narrative that keeps being repeated. You are welcome to your opinion, but it is disingeuous to suggest that BAC was a dirty mess by the end of the season. They were not.

I am encouraged by the fact that as people begin buying the dvds of 2014 and start watching them over the winter the will be a new appreciation for this show.

Edited by craiga
  • Like 3

well as an outsider without an agenda I felt Boston was the dirtiest corps in the Top 12 - and I don't think it was very close

feet were a mess - most of which I blame on some god-awful drill and horrific decision making in terms of staging the show

but I guess everyone has their own viewpoint...

I also felt the G7, the baby powder and the rest of it was pretty sophomoric (to be kind)

it was like an unoriginal, unattainable version of a BOA Tarpon Springs show combined with Suncoast Sound's Dances for the Contemporary Child