2014 World Championships Semi Finals

BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I am a location classical recording engineer, and know compression when I hear it! I don't know where in the chain it was occurring, but I doubt I was getting more than 15-20dB of dynamic range tonight. It did get a bit better later on -- perhaps because I chatted with FN about it and they said they'd inform the stadium crew after the second block of corps -- but some of it may have occurred farther down the line than the stadium crew had control over, as you say.

However, with source material like drum corps, it would be plain irresponsible to run WITHOUT a little protection from overs, be it a limiter or compressor of some type. All I'm saying is that effective compression shouldn't attract attention to itself ... and it was obvious at my end. Without the ability to lend you my ears, you'll have to take my word for it :).

BTW, listening here through a Benchmark DAC1 with Sennheiser 650s.

Hey, I'm using a DAC1 also! Yes, I agree that compression is not an option on such a wide-dynamic-range program, it's a necessity (especially on a codec), and I heard the same improvement at one point that you did.

Interesting to read your comments - I am also a location classical recording engineer.

This video of the age-outs show you how little scores matter. I couldn't tell you what the score of my last show. I just remember tearing up and hanging with my buddies.

• Like 1

Wow...that spread between Cadets and Bloo got pretty small tonight.

I am a location classical recording engineer, and know compression when I hear it! I don't know where in the chain it was occurring, but I doubt I was getting more than 15-20dB of dynamic range tonight. It did get a bit better later on -- perhaps because I chatted with FN about it and they said they'd inform the stadium crew after the second block of corps -- but some of it may have occurred farther down the line than the stadium crew had control over, as you say.

However, with source material like drum corps, it would be plain irresponsible to run WITHOUT a little protection from overs, be it a limiter or compressor of some type. All I'm saying is that effective compression shouldn't attract attention to itself ... and it was obvious at my end. Without the ability to lend you my ears, you'll have to take my word for it :).

BTW, listening here through a Benchmark DAC1 with Sennheiser 650s.

What I can tell you is that there's no compressor from the audio engineering station. Whether there was something in the chain after that, I'll ask them, but the only thing that it could be is if the audio is getting routed to the streaming module from the stadium press box... this happened in 2011, and there was a compressor put on without anyone being told... maybe it's a situation like that. I will ask.