2014 World Championships Semi Finals

Bluecoats took percussion tonight!

BD took brass again by .1... Crown needs one hell of a brass run tomorrow to keep the Ott this year...

Coats were second in drums by a tenth. First from 1 judge, 3rd from the other

Bluecoats took percussion tonight!

BD took brass again by .1... Crown needs one hell of a brass run tomorrow to keep the Ott this year...

So to refresh my memory, who gets the Sanford trophy if one corps takes drums one night, another one takes it another night, and then someone else takes it the third night....or is the latter even possible?

Edit: Nevermind. I just saw SCV took drums.

Edited by 2000Cadet

Maybe you guys can confirm what time it happened? If you can find a time, I can let them know the time of the occurrence, helping them find the source. They DO NOT want it compressed, I can promise.

I went back and listened a bit. The biggest change I hear is at the break between Blue Stars and Phantom Regiment. By Bluecoats I realized at the time the sound was much better.

Not to correct you, but there HAS to be some compression; what they DON'T want is for it to sound smashed, as it did earlier tonight.

My bad the two different drum scores messed me up. Indeed SCV took percussion tonight.

All you really need to watch to understand why BD's guard is so good, and why they score they way they do is the first 10 seconds of the show. They start out on saber, and very deliberately slide their hands along the blade. It would seem to be a completely simple throwaway move, but they perform it so intensely, with such powerful gazes at the audience and with just the right amount of snap in the movements that it fits the music perfectly, while at the same time setting a strong mood for the production. Completely riveting to watch. A tremendous effect has been created out of seemingly nothing. It is that way throughout the entire show - just tons of carefully planned little elements that add greatly to the production. No one else comes close to having this much nuance, or performing it with anywhere near this level of confidence and professionalism.

Can you please give me some more things to notice (I'm being serious). I started appreciating the show more tonight but I still feel I'm missing a lot.

• Like 1

All you really need to watch to understand why BD's guard is so good, and why they score they way they do is the first 10 seconds of the show. They start out on saber, and very deliberately slide their hands along the blade. It would seem to be a completely simple throwaway move, but they perform it so intensely, with such powerful gazes at the audience and with just the right amount of snap in the movements that it fits the music perfectly, while at the same time setting a strong mood for the production. Completely riveting to watch. A tremendous effect has been created out of seemingly nothing. It is that way throughout the entire show - just tons of carefully planned little elements that add greatly to the production. No one else comes close to having this much nuance, or performing it with anywhere near this level of confidence and professionalism.

Anyone that has a beef with BD's guard should read this. Yes, they aren't tossing 5's and 6's the whole show, but there is a reason this level of detail is rewarded.

• Like 1

Agreed. The guard writing is incredible and they perform flawlessly. That being said, it is a very different style of writing than many corps use. The thing that stands out with BD's guard is the level of expression the writing and execution their production portrays, and in accordance with the sheets, this is exactly what they've done. I understand why guard members in other corps that are running around the field and doing difficult work would be upset at why BD gets the points, but all in all it really does make sense when you consider the expressivity and range of emotion BD's guard portrays. Different strokes I guess.

I think the BD guard is too risqué in their expression and attire. While emotion and expression do count in guard, skill should too.IMO shaking a tambourine and doing a few tosses now and then do not justify their ranking. The show is fantastic and the throwing the rifles into the circle is awesome. But the girls with their tops unzipped and bras showing are too much. I'm not a prude, but really? Felt like a Victoria Secret ad. BAC guard uniforms are also kind of bad in the beginning but don't bother me as much.

• Like 1

I think the BD guard is too risqué in their expression and attire. While emotion and expression do count in guard, skill should too.IMO shaking a tambourine and doing a few tosses now and then do not justify their ranking. The show is fantastic and the throwing the rifles into the circle is awesome. But the girls with their tops unzipped and bras showing are too much. I'm not a prude, but really? Felt like a Victoria Secret ad. BAC guard uniforms are also kind of bad in the beginning but don't bother me as much.

You might be too old for this.

• Like 7