2014 World Championships Semi Finals

What I can tell you is that there's no compressor from the audio engineering station. Whether there was something in the chain after that, I'll ask them, but the only thing that it could be is if the audio is getting routed to the streaming module from the stadium press box... this happened in 2011, and there was a compressor put on without anyone being told... maybe it's a situation like that. I will ask.

Whatever it was, it sounded good for the last few corps.

Hey, I'm using a DAC1 also! Yes, I agree that compression is not an option on such a wide-dynamic-range program, it's a necessity (especially on a codec), and I heard the same improvement at one point that you did.

Interesting to read your comments - I am also a location classical recording engineer.

Yeah, part of me thinks the DCI/FN crew is hoping no one down the line listens on such revealing gear. :) Cheers!

Ah-HA! Sounds like that might be the likely culprit. Unfortunately for me, tonight was it ... not watching the finals broadcast :(.

Same here, this was my Finals. Thank you to everyone for hanging out with me and watching our beloved activity together :)

• Like 2

Ah-HA! Sounds like that might be the likely culprit. Unfortunately for me, tonight was it ... not watching the finals broadcast :(.

In any case, it will likely be improved by the time it cycles into the VOD, and I expect the final mix will be fantastic.

Agreed. The guard writing is incredible and they perform flawlessly. That being said, it is a very different style of writing than many corps use. The thing that stands out with BD's guard is the level of expression the writing and execution their production portrays, and in accordance with the sheets, this is exactly what they've done. I understand why guard members in other corps that are running around the field and doing difficult work would be upset at why BD gets the points, but all in all it really does make sense when you consider the expressivity and range of emotion BD's guard portrays. Different strokes I guess.

All you really need to watch to understand why BD's guard is so good, and why they score they way they do is the first 10 seconds of the show. They start out on saber, and very deliberately slide their hands along the blade. It would seem to be a completely simple throwaway move, but they perform it so intensely, with such powerful gazes at the audience and with just the right amount of snap in the movements that it fits the music perfectly, while at the same time setting a strong mood for the production. Completely riveting to watch. A tremendous effect has been created out of seemingly nothing. It is that way throughout the entire show - just tons of carefully planned little elements that add greatly to the production. No one else comes close to having this much nuance, or performing it with anywhere near this level of confidence and professionalism.

• Like 3

Bluecoats took percussion tonight!

BD took brass again by .1... Crown needs one hell of a brass run tomorrow to keep the Ott this year...

• Like 1

In any case, it will likely be improved by the time it cycles into the VOD, and I expect the final mix will be fantastic.

Of course, if they run everything at safe levels, the real magic will happen back at the ranch in post-production/mixing ... have no doubt Blair et al will make it shine.

• Like 1