2014 World Championships Semi Finals

I seriously doubt it, and if you think Kemp's measly 0.2 between Cadets and Bluecoats made a difference, then you'll be even more shocked when 3 of the 4 GE judges tonight will be VERY Bluecoats friendly. That won't help widen the gap you'd like to see.

If anything, that 0.15 gap will disappear tonight between Cadets and Bluecoats. Bluecoats could feasibly win 7 of the 11 judges this evening. Likely at least 6. Visual will be the only thing left holding the Cadets up.

I was addressing Kemp putting BD a full point ahead in GE

As far as Coats winning/beating Cadets - that's cool. It could happen...

Who do you think I trust? The judges eyes or yours? Enough said.

it's an apples and oranges thing

BD has incredible execution and some very demanding stuff out there

Whereas corps such as Cadets & Crown have more "simultaneous" demand elements but it is frankly not as clean in those moments

BD does some featured "park and play" as they always have, but they also have several extremely difficult and/or exposed moments where they show the level of detail and excellence they have attained this season

It's all good! BD visually this year is amazing - and the corps is so strong & balanced across the captions you get UNDEFEATED as it should be...

• Like 2

it's an apples and oranges thing

BD has incredible execution and some very demanding stuff out there

Whereas corps such as Cadets & Crown have more "simultaneous" demand elements but it is frankly not as clean in those moments

BD does some featured "park and play" as they always have, but they also have several extremely difficult and/or exposed moments where they show the level of detail and excellence they have attained this season

It's all good! BD visually this year is amazing - and the corps is so strong & balanced across the captions you get UNDEFEATED as it should be...

If only thechezman would recognize that demand. The blue devils aren't strolling around the field in scatter sets like he seems to like to put it.

I'm watching the shows with my two eyes. The marching program is effective, not difficult. There is enough demand to satisfy the sheets but im not seeing where it is difficult. Now MY DIFFICULT may be different than yours, but when brass are playing their runs as they are backing into blind forms etc, that is where I find a show difficult.

Again, building a show around difficulty is short sighted. CC and Cadets always take their performers to the outside of the envelop of "doable PERFECT". The key is to know your MM's skills, design to their ability to make it perfect, and concentrate on the flow of the show....as well as performer exercises that enhance the idea of perfection. BD has always concentrated on their theme (which is normally distinguishable, obvious and attainable to perfect). Frantic, difficult, impossible to clean drill bears the results you see in CC and Cadets....and the distraction is measurable.

• Like 3

I was addressing Kemp putting BD a full point ahead in GE

As far as Coats winning/beating Cadets - that's cool. It could happen...

I gotcha. So you think the gap between Blue Devils and Cadets should be smaller?

I can appreciate the Cadets and Crown this year. I really enjoy Crown's show this year, but I do feel it is a bit disjointed, lacking continuity with additional execution problems. Still, it is a fun show to watch, and I always enjoy listening to their horn line. Cadets show feels a bit dated IMHO and unfortunately, turns to desperation at the end. While the narrator is excellent, and I realize the Cadets are being true to the source material, he becomes too much of the focus of the show and the corps becomes back-up musicians to his performance. The end of their show has turned into a joke in the last week with all the tarps and the Capitol backdrop. I am hoping to God they do not pull out an American flag tonight onstage, but I would not be all that surprised. Despite all the cheese, Cadets march incredibly well and are strong in every caption. It is true that BD does not march at a crazy fast tempo their whole show, but fast does not equal difficult. Their show is just so complete in it's design and execution while also being modern and unique. As far a difficulty is concerned? The judges seem to be rewarding them. Are they designing to the sheets? Every corps is designing to the sheets! Some just have better designs and execute better than others!

Edited by jmc5682
  • Like 3

I can appreciate the Cadets and Crown this year. I really enjoy Crown's show this year, but I do feel it is a bit disjointed, lacking continuity with additional execution problems. Still, it is a fun show to watch, and I always enjoy listening to their horn line. Cadets show feels a bit dated IMHO and unfortunately, turns to desperation at the end. While the narrator is excellent, and I realize the Cadets are being true to the source material, he becomes too much of the focus of the show and the corps becomes back-up musicians to his performance. The end of their show has turned into a joke in the last week with all the tarps and the Capitol backdrop. I am hoping to God they do not pull out an American flag tonight onstage, but I would not be all that surprised. Despite all the cheese, Cadets march incredibly well and are strong in every caption.

Sorry to be the bearer of your bad news, but the ENTIRE front of the stage turned into an American Flag last night already, did you miss that part? :cool:

cadets-flag.jpg

Edited by IMcomguy
  • Like 5

Sorry to be the bearer of your bad news, but the ENTIRE front of the stage turned into an American Flag last night already, did you miss that part? :cool:

cadets-flag.jpg

I know about the stage. I mean an actual flag on a pole with weapons. An Honor Guard if you will!

Edited by jmc5682

There's a significant amount of struggle at the Blue Devils, you just never see it because they work *very* hard to get it all out before they ever put the uniform on. The amount of work they put in at winter camps and spring training is simply mind-boggling. In all honesty, if you see any top corps struggling at any point in the season, they've done something very wrong.

I imagine that during the season they continue to struggle to perfect the small details that casual viewers might miss. There is a reason why they are on another level from everyone else in terms of cleanliness and attention to detail. The precision with which they execute their show is spectacular, and is something that should be praised, not criticized.