George Hopkins response to the critics

Honestly if he would just stop the unfiltered stream-of-consciousness Facebook posts every time there's a non-controversy, these things would fade a lot faster.

The solution to that is to either not read any of what he posts there, delete him as a friend if he is on your friends list, or not go onto Facebook at all.

I'm pretty sure that's his page and he can post what he wants. It's people on this forum who chose to post what he said on here.

It just might be a good time for those of you still here to take a moment to review the DCP Community Guidelines.

.....just saying.....

:lle:

:tounge2:

It just might be a good time for those of you still here to take a moment to review the DCP Community Guidelines.

.....just saying.....

:lle:

Oh crap...sorry. :sad:

The solution to that is to either not read any of what he posts there, delete him as a friend if he is on your friends list, or not go onto Facebook at all.

I'm pretty sure that's his page and he can post what he wants. It's people on this forum who chose to post what he said on here.

He can keep a public diary of his bowel movements, it's a free country. Doesn't make it a good idea.

I'm going to take George H. at his word on this for a few reasons, one being he is nothing if not honest, and actually many criticize that he is too honest and speaks too much. This does not sound like made up PR. Second, his explanation does sound rather "Cadet-tish" and while Cadets may not want to steal the thunder of the corps that won, it did appear to be sour grapes last Saturday because it appeared to be abrupt. I do not recall it being that way in 2013. The truth and the appearance may be different, but in a non-profit appearance is extremely important and you never know what will hurt in the eyes of donors. It will not hurt recruitment, and it will not hurt as far as next year's show is concerned, but it does hurt as far as PR is concerned.

I'm going to take George H. at his word on this for a few reasons, one being he is nothing if not honest, and actually many criticize that he is too honest and speaks too much. This does not sound like made up PR. Second, his explanation does sound rather "Cadet-tish" and while Cadets may not want to steal the thunder of the corps that won, it did appear to be sour grapes last Saturday because it appeared to be abrupt. I do not recall it being that way in 2013. The truth and the appearance may be different, but in a non-profit appearance is extremely important and you never know what will hurt in the eyes of donors. It will not hurt recruitment, and it will not hurt as far as next year's show is concerned, but it does hurt as far as PR is concerned.

The Cadets did the exact same thing in 2013. The field was given to Crown and literally 2-3 minutes later, Cadets are on the move out never once breaking rank the whole time. People didn't notice because of the different circumstances this year.

I respect the Cadets so much because of traditions like this!

Hopkins can, at times, be a complete a##hat. But on things like this he's 100% correct. It's what really makes me admire the guy. Sticking to his guns even when it's unpopular. Essentially giving the finger to the moronic boo birds in Pasadena. Stuff like that.

There are two sides to every coin. Those classy corps that broke ranks and congratulated each other? They've also engaged in pretty nasty behavior at retreats, and not just in the good old days either, but within the past decade. I've been subjected to, or witnessed, things like: Throwing candy into the faces of kids who can't move or make any response, and throwing it hard enough to ding horns (yes really). Making repulsive, sexual comments . . . again to people who they know can't do anything to fight back. Groping and grabbing. Smacking drums. Showing up drunk on the field, puking during the scores, sabotaging mass brass. Disgracing themselves, their corps, and their uniform.

Guess which corps doesn't do any of that stuff at retreat? Cadets, and corps like them.

Exactly. If The Cadets stood there for a few more minutes you would of had all types of antics going on around them and through their ranks.

Each corps chooses to do retreat as they see fit. Some corps never get the field as champion, or even medal. Savoring every moment at finals retreat is a legitimate as marching off right away or playing the encore. The only behavior that disturbs me is when on corps encroaches on another. If you want to throw candy, throw it straight up in the air. If you want hugs, hug another corps member that has their arms out. If you want to feign passing out, do it in your own retreat block. If you want to engage someone, engage someone that is making eye contact and smiling at you.

I say let the Blue Devils bopp their heads back and forth while scores are being read, let The Cadets march off in silence when they want to, and let the rest mill about until they are swept off the field by the DCI crew.