George Hopkins response to the critics

I'm just going to go on a limb and say that 2000Cadet might not be the most objective person in this thread.

To be fair, it's not possible to debate whether or not people took offense to the timing of the Cadets leaving the field. Obviously people did, in fact they are stating they were. The question is whether or not the Cadets departure was meant to be offensive. I personally do not believe that an organization of this age and size would take such an action in an activity like this. I do believe they should reconsider in the future because people are offended whether deliberately or not.

If a professional athlete, politician or celebrity did something that inadvertently offended people a majority would just apologize without admitting guilt and adjust his or her behavior in the future. Many would simply ignore the matter until it goes away. Then there's the handful that want more attention. They would attempt to explain, refuse to state they did anything wrong and continue to allow people to be offended at their actions. I'm going to put the Hopster in the last category.

honestly.....if it were any other corps....there'd be no complaints.

• Like 4

I'm just going to go on a limb and say that 2000Cadet might not be the most objective person in this thread.

To be fair, it's not possible to debate whether or not people took offense to the timing of the Cadets leaving the field. Obviously people did, in fact they are stating they were. The question is whether or not the Cadets departure was meant to be offensive. I personally do not believe that an organization of this age and size would take such an action in an activity like this. I do believe they should reconsider in the future because people are offended whether deliberately or not.

If a professional athlete, politician or celebrity did something that inadvertently offended people a majority would just apologize without admitting guilt and adjust his or her behavior in the future. Many would simply ignore the matter until it goes away. Then there's the handful that want more attention. They would attempt to explain, refuse to state they did anything wrong and continue to allow people to be offended at their actions. I'm going to put the Hopster in the last category.

Or maybe you're one of those to whom I was referring needing to grow thicker skin.

If this were any other corps (actually someone brought up that Phantom was leaving around the same time), there wouldn't have been a thread started on this nor would there have been any gripes about it.

How's that for "objectivity"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skb81d8zo2U

Here's an oldie but a goody from 1987. First Blue Devils, then SCV, play to Garfield before exiting the field. Added bonuses include Tom Float wandering around in his own orbit talking smack to Garfield's drums, as well as SCV's center snare expressing his emotion after a long season.

You also can see several BD members walk over to shake hands, and a few Cadets step forward to do likewise. And for good reason. Standing in the center of BD's horn arc getting your face peeled off was a dream come true. We all clapped politely when they were done -- when what I really wanted to do was jump about ten feet in the air with my arms extended screaming "DEVILS!! F*** YEAH!!!"

Thanks so much Stu!

Hopkins can, at times, be a complete a##hat. But on things like this he's 100% correct. It's what really makes me admire the guy. Sticking to his guns even when it's unpopular. Essentially giving the finger to the moronic boo birds in Pasadena. Stuff like that.

There are two sides to every coin. Those classy corps that broke ranks and congratulated each other? They've also engaged in pretty nasty behavior at retreats, and not just in the good old days either, but within the past decade. I've been subjected to, or witnessed, things like: Throwing candy into the faces of kids who can't move or make any response, and throwing it hard enough to ding horns (yes really). Making repulsive, sexual comments . . . again to people who they know can't do anything to fight back. Groping and grabbing. Smacking drums. Showing up drunk on the field, puking during the scores, sabotaging mass brass. Disgracing themselves, their corps, and their uniform.

Guess which corps don't do any of that stuff at retreat? Cadets, and corps like them.

Edited by Rifuarian
  • Like 2

The Cadets left the field 3 minutes after the final score was announced?

I don't see anything wrong with that...I thought you were supposed to clear the field so that the winning corps can do their encore performance.

That's what this is all about, huh. I was under the impression they left immediately.

Nothing wrong with a corps wanting to go out in private and mourn their losing out on 2nd / celebrate winning a bronze. And to give their season some closure.

After all, a drum corps is a family.

"Immediately" would have been within seconds of the Blue Devils score announcement. The Cadets drum majors were still up front in line with the other drum majors.

I don't think they would leave without their drum majors.

They would at the least wait until the drum majors come back to the block...and that isn't going to be immediate.

When you heard "immediate" did you think the corps left without their DM's or did you think the DM's jumped out of the DM line and ran back to the corps?

I'm convinced George Hopkins could turn water into wine and people would ##### that he did it during a drought.

But I WAS DYING OF FREAKIN HYDRATION!!!!

• Like 1

Obviously retreat hasn't always been in the present format. So the Cadets haven't always done it exactly as they have the past few years. When you were allowed to play yourself off, they did. I remember them finishing 2nd in 1992, and after the 3rd place corps played their way off the field, the Cadets play a quick song or 2 for the Cavaliers and then left the field.

In the older format you had to stay until it was your turn to leave (whether playing or not). It used to be the corps all left from 12th to 2nd, and then the champion had the field to themselves. I forget when DCI started dismissing the corps together (hoping the corps can figure out the traffic jam), which has caused some issues if you ask me.

I totally understand the need to control the length of retreat, but this is one tradition that I always miss. I always found it very classy that the various groups saluted/played to the champion, and a good way for each corps to show some of identity as they left the field for the final time.

Personally I find the "<champion>, the field is yours" > mass chaos > 30 minutes of announcer pleading with kids to get off the field > staff members tossing lots of crap to the sidelines > champion's performance to be pretty lame as an audience member. I feel like DCI could do better, even with the time constraints at LOS.