Fans jump up in acceptance of electronics.

So , let me ask YOU. as per the actual topic. do you think more fans have become more accepting? I know time to time we may not agree but have had a mutual respect. I say, it certainly seems so, especially IF , it is done well. will it ever be a resolved issue? Probably not. I still hear from family members how drum corps died in the 70s.

I can only answer for myself. Beyond that I would just be speculating. And just a little guess here is that you figured out I think electronics detract from what I like best, which is the acoustic sound. Also I really can't stand narration at all. Now, in speculation space, my guess us that a lot of people who don't like electronics just stopped participating.

Things like oh, speakers, amps, placement or people that control the equipment outside members? If you think a 500 dollar rig plays like a 20K dollar rig I have a bridge to sell you.

Again -- I'm not saying things like this can't make a difference in sound quality. My point was and is: I don't think it's making an impact on competitive outcomes.

• Like 1

I think in some small way many people here are making my point. we no longer see t-shirts protesting amplification and electronics we now debate the quality of it. The single biggest effect moment of the year would not have happened with out electronics.

Safe to say, now that there are no moments without electronics.

To the larger point - "acceptance" is inevitable, as there is no other choice. If DCI is not going to reverse the rule change, then electronics are here to stay. Therefore, those who oppose must either accept them, or leave.

I would say trombones are far more accepted. The rule change has yet to see a birthday, but A&E still causes more of a ruckus.

I can only answer for myself. Beyond that I would just be speculating. And just a little guess here is that you figured out I think electronics detract from what I like best, which is the acoustic sound. Also I really can't stand narration at all. Now, in speculation space, my guess us that a lot of people who don't like electronics just stopped participating.

Well I hope that isn't true, about not participating . I totally understand one likes what they like . I just based my answer off of what I saw , heard and experienced on tour. Many who I knew did not like any electronics have warmed up to them a bit now that they can see it can be done better than it had been. It's kind of like many who hated LOS have turned around to that, and of course some haven't. Thanks for you answer to the original posters topic.

I think some might assume I like all electronics, no. Do I think it can be done well? YES, Do I believe a corps has the right to use them or not ,? totally!

I want to hear a great brass line play without electronic embellishment. It's like.....I would never want to hear the Chicago Symphony brass (first trumpet played in DCI, by the way) muddied by synthesized or sampled sound.

• Like 1

Electronics are here to stay. The corps have done a wonderful job implementing the technology making drum corps sound better than ever. Depth of the pit is astounding!

For me, Bluecoats validated the use of electronics in the activity this year. They used them brilliantly throughout their entire program, not only during the "pitch bend" portion. Doing the pitch bend electronically made complete sense within the context of the piece and in what they were trying to achieve in that moment. The pitch bend itself is not the "goose bump" moment there... It is when the horns join back in and hit that amazing chord.. That is when I lost it.. Not when the kid hits the button.