Opinions on Uniforms for 2014--helped or hindered?

Anyone else think that the red plumes were a huge step in the right direction for Blue Stars this year? A relatively small change in the grand scheme of things, but I thought they were so sexy.

I wouldn't mind seeing them update the jackets a little bit, though, and/or add a stripe down the pants.

"I wanna party with you, cowboy." ($1 to John Winger)

I think the Academy has figured it out. They have classy, distinctive, traditional-yet-unique uniforms that create an unchanging image for the corps, yet they can make a subtle color change with the ties and gloves that makes each year unique without as big of a change as, for example, Crown. Not sure what I think of the ribbons on the hats, but I like how they use them. Anyone agree?

The ribbons either looked like mullets or the tail end of a ninja turtle's mask, can't decide. But they probably had the best unis overall this year.

the different uni every season thing is just getting old. though I think Academy does have a great idea by only changing those little finishing touches.

• Like 2

the different uni every season thing is just getting old. though I think Academy does have a great idea by only changing those little finishing touches.

Bigger question, why do we even care. If a corps wants to change , so be it, if they want to stay same ole same ole, so be it.

• Like 1

Bigger question, why do we even care. If a corps wants to change , so be it, if they want to stay same ole same ole, so be it.

The only reason I care is money. I'm cool with guard uniforms changing whenever needed to match the theme, but it seems that completely new uniforms for everyone EVERY year is wasteful.

...and I worry about the "uniform cold war escalation" (much like the prop cold war that Rondinero mentioned on the theater show this year).

So if people think it gives them a competitive advantage, they'll try and spring for them to keep up with the Jones...

• Like 1

The only reason I care is money. I'm cool with guard uniforms changing whenever needed to match the theme, but it seems that completely new uniforms for everyone EVERY year is wasteful.

...and I worry about the "uniform cold war escalation" (much like the prop cold war that Rondinero mentioned on the theater show this year).

So if people think it gives them a competitive advantage, they'll try and spring for them to keep up with the Jones...

I do see what you are saying and if a corps can not afford constant changes they shouldnt IF they could, so be it IMO. Also many of these uniform changes I dont believe are costing ( especially some corps that are constantly changing ) much at all.

I know for me in many programs , including HS's I have lined up and sold most things year to year including props and flags for pretty close to what it cost. Uniforms of course are different ..

I do see what you are saying and if a corps can not afford constant changes they shouldnt IF they could, so be it IMO. Also many of these uniform changes I dont believe are costing ( especially some corps that are constantly changing ) much at all.

I know for me in many programs , including HS's I have lined up and sold most things year to year including props and flags for pretty close to what it cost. Uniforms of course are different ..

Try uniforms are more specific to a particular group, but we've all seen high school knockoff of various corps uniforms. What is it 15 - 30 thousand for a new set of uniforms for horns and drums each year, plus 8,000 - 16,000 for guard?

I know, if you've got the money, go for it, it's just that cold war thing. I also like these corps to have a non-generic visual identity. Look at corps like Madison, where they just kept trying and trying and trying, and it didn't work. It's too expensive to change much in a season, so they're stuck.

Then you have the BD, who tweak things yearly, and it mostly works. I don't love every iteration, but the consensus is that their changes work.

You've got Crown, who I thought was really smart with the panels, but then they went to the purple pants, which I thought worked. Switch to the spacepants, which I personally think works, but gets lots of criticism on here.

Cool to see that HS's are interesting in uniforms too. Used to be only things like show flags or equipment were sold at the end of a year. Cool. Learning things here.

Try uniforms are more specific to a particular group, but we've all seen high school knockoff of various corps uniforms. What is it 15 - 30 thousand for a new set of uniforms for horns and drums each year, plus 8,000 - 16,000 for guard?

I know, if you've got the money, go for it, it's just that cold war thing. I also like these corps to have a non-generic visual identity. Look at corps like Madison, where they just kept trying and trying and trying, and it didn't work. It's too expensive to change much in a season, so they're stuck.

Then you have the BD, who tweak things yearly, and it mostly works. I don't love every iteration, but the consensus is that their changes work.

You've got Crown, who I thought was really smart with the panels, but then they went to the purple pants, which I thought worked. Switch to the spacepants, which I personally think works, but gets lots of criticism on here.

Cool to see that HS's are interesting in uniforms too. Used to be only things like show flags or equipment were sold at the end of a year. Cool. Learning things here.

hell , I remember BITD when if your flags didnt match in some way people didnt get it..lol. Like everything a different world now. ( good or bad ) many corps get uniforms quite cheap for advertisement. I have got ( for drum corps ) several thousands in free digital flags so that the company can use the images in their catalogs. I have got free tarps worth in upward of anywhere from 3 to 7 grand ( digital printing ) for free because i got some schools to buy from them. This , for some has become a real business and barter.

I do agree that some change and it just doesnt work. I think sometimes people think to hard. With some, it may have already been the best and you just have to tweak.

Edited by GUARDLING

It's late in the night. Impressions. Academy accentuated. Bluecoats explored the colour wheel. Cadets changed cumberbunds. Blue Knights were Rocky Mountains. I found texture with Santa Clara, Crossmen and Carolina Crown. It all depends how it looks from up high. Personally, I'd rather the flags be the accent to corps and let the uniform be its history or critical mass or main idea.

I am a rambling, trying to find words in my post that explain the visual to music or more easily vice versa. Sometimes I buy a CD (music only) and sometimes I buy a DVD (music and visual).