Boston Crusaders 2015 - 75th

I stand corrected, Ghost. Jim was still corps director in 2000 and Howard was Program Coordinator. I was around the corps a lot in 2000 (we actually had the move in here in Biddeford, Maine). Howard was running the day to day stuff but Jim was back in the office making sure the trains ran on time.

Getting Oldtimer's, I guess.... (me, NOT Jim!) :)

Jim Cronin ( former DM at BAC ) has been involved with BAC for a good many years now, and " still helps make sure the trains run on time " there at BAC ( as I'm sure Craiga knows as well ). Jim's done quite well for himself in the business world. Boston seems to be in good hands, with Jim, Mike Woodall,, Andy W. etc and the other Board Members there now.

Edited by BRASSO

Percussion arranging was shared by Marty McCartt, and Dave Carbone in 2000... Dr. Jay Kennedy did not arrive until 2002 to write the Music for BAC, so I forget at the moment who did the music arranging for the 2000, BAC 5th place show. Perhaps Craiga will know ( or somebody else )

I must add my support to you on this, Brasso. Ever since the original question of "music arranger/writer" was first posed on this thread, I have conducted as much research as I can on the subject. The only names that I have found which address this capacity are McCartt and Carbone. That is not to say that there weren't others...but according to what I have found, nobody else has been cited. And if I am not mistaken, one of the selections performed that summer is listed as an original composition (or arrangement) by McCartt...which leads me to believe that his hand must have been actively in the final arranging efforts as well.

Edited by HornTeacher

Safe travels to all the members and staff of the 75th Anniversary edition of the Boston Crusaders as they travel to Castleton, Vermont today for Spring Training! Good luck in your Conquest to make it a very special year!

• Like 1

Jim Cronin ( former DM at BAC ) has been involved with BAC for a good many years now, and " still helps make sure the trains run on time " there at BAC ( as I'm sure Craiga knows as well ). Jim's done quite well for himself in the business world. Boston seems to be in good hands, with Jim, Mike Woodall,, Andy W. etc and the other Board Members there now.

Yes , I remember when Howard played 'Time to say goodbye" on tape to prospective hornline members at the Davie (Fla.) Elementary School. Jim Cronin was shocked when he walked into the

auditorium and saw eighty horns to tryout for the corps. They were rounded up by several corps members from Braddock High School (Miami) . Tom Santino was the brass head at the time and his presence had much to do wuth the recruiting also. Wish i could remember the rest of the staff (time taking its toll) It was a glorious day seeing the numbers, and was a harbinger of good things to come personel wise.. Actually got to know all of the kids in the horn line. Was driving the tractor trailer from Boston to Fla. at the time Dan Greer would also make trips

It was a rewarding time, after helping out a bit during the days on the asphalt at the Hood Milk plant on Rutherford Ave in Charlestown a few years earlier, and hoping to get 40 horns ! Those were precarious days, and one wonders how it all survived ? Well obviously things worked out with good management and the corps is in great shape...

• Like 1

Yes , I remember when Howard played 'Time to say goodbye" on tape to prospective hornline members at the Davie (Fla.) Elementary School. Jim Cronin was shocked when he walked into the

auditorium and saw eighty horns to tryout for the corps. They were rounded up by several corps members from Braddock High School (Miami) . Tom Santino was the brass head at the time and his presence had much to do wuth the recruiting also. Wish i could remember the rest of the staff (time taking its toll) It was a glorious day seeing the numbers, and was a harbinger of good things to come personel wise.. Actually got to know all of the kids in the horn line. Was driving the tractor trailer from Boston to Fla. at the time Dan Greer would also make trips

It was a rewarding time, after helping out a bit during the days on the asphalt at the Hood Milk plant on Rutherford Ave in Charlestown a few years earlier, and hoping to get 40 horns ! Those were precarious days, and one wonders how it all survived ? Well obviously things worked out with good management and the corps is in great shape...

Yes and getting better all the time. Great group of people up here supporting BAC year around.

We had Jim come up at the last camp and speak to us about the Board's plan for the future of BAC. Cool stuff (also youre stuck with me posting on here a lot the next couple weeks as I cant get to Spring Training until early next month because school and stuff.)

BAC just got new Jupiter horns. Been a great start up in Vt.

I don't know how I missed the Assassins Creed IV selection (Take What is Ours), absolutely love the soundtrack in that game. Maybe my wish is coming true that more corps will use some gaming music, there's all sortsa amazing stuff waiting to be used.

Edited by DrumManTx

At some point it might be interesting, and perhaps useful, for the powers to be at Boston Crusaders, Bluecoats, Oregon Crusaders and others to share their experiences getting the licensing and permissions to use the more modern music. With so many of the stalwart corps using just "dead, white guys" for whom the licensing might be easier to obtain, the unique contribution that OC, BAC, and Bloo give the activity and the listener might also be of interest to those future instructors, directors, designers and paying public in the audience. I know Crown got a publicity boost when Paul Lovett-Cooper acknowledged their efforts and I believe Bloo received the same with Axiom. (Did OC too?) Do i remember correctly that besides Madison's recall of ESOM that the Crossmen also had similar negative results with Hallelujah? What unique approach did BAC, Bloo, and OC take to be more artist, composer, agent, and audience friendly???

Michael Boo, are you in the house?