Boston Crusaders 2015 - 75th

The point is....what looks ridiculous to one may not be to another, and what we may consider classic may be ridiculous to others. Personally, I love Crown's costuming the past two years, and IMO drum corps in general should continue to push those boundaries to true show-costuming versus old style standard uniforms.

Love this post.

• Like 2

Although the Crown uniform discussion is quite interesting, I would like to bring this back on topic...ie: Boston Crusaders 75th Anniversary in 2015.

I have given this a great deal of thought, and I am not in the camp of doing BAC's greatest hits. The corps needs, imo, to continue its push creatively. One of the recent criticisms of our friends in Madison has been that all they seem to do is "be Madison" when it comes to programming. Accordingly, I truly believe that a 2015 show by Boston featuring the extended play version of Captain from Castille, Hava Nagilia, El Capitan, California Dreamin' etc, will rocket the corps right into 12th place..

These time honored pieces of the corps' history are well and faithfully played by the BAC Seniors. Lest we forget, the Boston Crusaders are the only DCI drum corps with a Senior Corps version of themselves, and while they are run separately, the two groups have a great bond and there is no need, imo, for BAC to steal the Senior Corps' thunder.

As for BAC, I am as excited as always for the upcoming year. Contrary to what some people may think, the 2014 membership loved Animal Farm, and the 10th place finish is a bigger deal to some here on DCP than it was to the kids. There will be some staff changes, of course, but that goes with the territory. There is a vision in place by the corps' management and BOD. As I said before, the organizational pieces need to come together before the top three placement happens, and based on what they have accomplished (off the field) in the last 18 months, they are well on their way.

There are over 30 members of Boston's BOD. I marched with some, taught wirh some, and know most of them. They all have two things in common: Each is particularly savvy in the financial world, and all are focused on the "Bulding A Champion" mantra. For many years, the simple survival of the corps was paramount; then, it was getting a top 12 status, then becoming a CONSISTENT DCI Finalist (now 16 years in a row). Now, the goal is higher, and there are people involved with the organization willing to devote their considerable time and assets to this cause.

As for the members, the last few years have seen less than half a dozen kids leave BAC to march elsewhere each year, and I suspect the same will be true for 2015. In these kids' minds, the fact that the Cavies, Blue Knights, and Blue Stars all happened to have great seasons in 2014 does not diminish in the least the notion of "being a Crusader".

One last point....on a personal note, as a 54 year old who is finding less and less to identify with in the world (particularly in pop culture), I find a great sense of pride and comfort when these kids take their shakos off and sing GIANT with tears running down their faces. I frankly don't care if they play "Come to Jesus" in whole notes with violins and bagpipes in 2015. All I know is it WILL be Boston, and they will be 75 years old.

• Like 5

Re: " Lest we forget, the Boston Crusaders are the only DCI drum corps with a Senior Corps version of themselves,..."

Do not the Cavaliers also have a corps which at least does parades? Cavalier Classics Corps.

Edited by xandandl

Although the Crown uniform discussion is quite interesting, I would like to bring this back on topic...ie: Boston Crusaders 75th Anniversary in 2015.

I have given this a great deal of thought, and I am not in the camp of doing BAC's greatest hits. The corps needs, imo, to continue its push creatively. One of the recent criticisms of our friends in Madison has been that all they seem to do is "be Madison" when it comes to programming. Accordingly, I truly believe that a 2015 show by Boston featuring the extended play version of Captain from Castille, Hava Nagilia, El Capitan, California Dreamin' etc, will rocket the corps right into 12th place..

These time honored pieces of the corps' history are well and faithfully played by the BAC Seniors. Lest we forget, the Boston Crusaders are the only DCI drum corps with a Senior Corps version of themselves, and while they are run separately, the two groups have a great bond and there is no need, imo, for BAC to steal the Senior Corps' thunder.

As for BAC, I am as excited as always for the upcoming year. Contrary to what some people may think, the 2014 membership loved Animal Farm, and the 10th place finish is a bigger deal to some here on DCP than it was to the kids. There will be some staff changes, of course, but that goes with the territory. There is a vision in place by the corps' management and BOD. As I said before, the organizational pieces need to come together before the top three placement happens, and based on what they have accomplished (off the field) in the last 18 months, they are well on their way.

There are over 30 members of Boston's BOD. I marched with some, taught wirh some, and know most of them. They all have two things in common: Each is particularly savvy in the financial world, and all are focused on the "Bulding A Champion" mantra. For many years, the simple survival of the corps was paramount; then, it was getting a top 12 status, then becoming a CONSISTENT DCI Finalist (now 16 years in a row). Now, the goal is higher, and there are people involved with the organization willing to devote their considerable time and assets to this cause.

As for the members, the last few years have seen less than half a dozen kids leave BAC to march elsewhere each year, and I suspect the same will be true for 2015. In these kids' minds, the fact that the Cavies, Blue Knights, and Blue Stars all happened to have great seasons in 2014 does not diminish in the least the notion of "being a Crusader".

One last point....on a personal note, as a 54 year old who is finding less and less to identify with in the world (particularly in pop culture), I find a great sense of pride and comfort when these kids take their shakos off and sing GIANT with tears running down their faces. I frankly don't care if they play "Come to Jesus" in whole notes with violins and bagpipes in 2015. All I know is it WILL be Boston, and they will be 75 years old.

I would not expect the 75th anniversary show to be an all time favorites show either, but an encore at Gillette on July 2nd that included the current corps, alums, and Crusaders Senior playing all time favorites would be one of those all time great moments in drum corps. My guess is the show will just be a show that fits BAC. BAC's history is so broad, it would be hard to fit it into a show. However BAC may want to wait until their 76th anniversary to introduce violins and bagpipes. Some are still fuming a trombone was used in "Animal Farm" at all, even as a joke.

This seems to be "de rigeur" nowadays. I saw Cavaliers, Cadets, and Blue Stars in person do the same with their corps of alumni at their home show. Each corps added its own special mark to the performance. Blue Stars interspersed a video of their corps history shown on the scoreboard screens seen by all. In all three sightings, the current corps played an encore then the corps of alumni joined them and did a few numbers on their own as well as with the present corps.

I believe Madison and Santa Clara have done similar things at their anniversaries.

Crown did not celebrate its 25th anniversary with an alumni corps.

Re: " Lest we forget, the Boston Crusaders are the only DCI drum corps with a Senior Corps version of themselves,..."

Do not the Cavaliers also have a corps which at least does parades? Cavalier Classics Corps.

Cadets 2 competing at DCA this weekend although they have a 25 age limit. I know they also had a Holy Name corps BUT I dont think it's all that active anymore.

Isnt Boston actually part of the alumni corps association? I thought so.

Edited by GUARDLING

Yes, but the C2 link to Cadets is more similar to SCVC to SCV and BDB to BD.

In fact, 18 members of C2 who marched there within the last two seasons ('12, '13) marched in The Cadets this year ('14), including one of their backfield conductors, Katy. My information comes from an introduction given by C2 Director Rich Hammond at the Northern Highlands preview performance by both corps.

I believe the BAC folks feel rightful pride that their other corps is an alumni corps, not just that a corps marches a different circuit or division than DCI World Class.

Yes, one does not have to have marched Cadets to march C2 nor are C2 members prohibited from marching elsewhere (in theory, at least.)

The Holy Name alumni corps has participated in some indoor standstill circuit performances but does not do field shows with drill. It's a question of starting on the right foot, pun intended.

Edited by xandandl

Yes, but the C2 link to Cadets is more similar to SCVC to SCV and BDB to BD.

In fact, 18 members of C2 who marched there within the last two seasons ('12, '13) marched in The Cadets this year ('14), including one of their backfield conductors, Katy. My information comes from an introduction given by C2 Director Rich Hammond at the Northern Highlands preview performance by both corps.

I believe the BAC folks feel rightful pride that their other corps is an alumni corps, not just that a corps marches a different circuit or division than DCI World Class.

Yes, one does not have to have marched Cadets to march C2 nor are C2 members prohibited from marching elsewhere (in theory, at least.)

The Holy Name alumni corps has participated in some indoor standstill circuit performances but does not do field shows with drill. It's a question of starting on the right foot, pun intended.

ALL TRUE

alot of these alumni corps also arent all alumni, not that it matters. Not sure if Boston is ALL alumni.

I agree. If I was a youngster interested in joining a drum & bugle corps, I wouldn't consider Crown because off the ridiculous costumes that they are forced to wear.

Forced is a strong word for something people audition for. If I was a youngster again and heard Crown's horn line, pretty sure that's all it would take.

For the record, the Boston Crusaders Senior Corps are not just some folks who show up and do something at a BAC home show. They are, in fact, a legit drum corps who rehearses virtually year round, and performs at both parades and feld shows throughout the northeast. They actually recently had designed and made new uniforms and are a serious organization in their own right. They also find time to "treat" BAC to a couple cookouts/lobster feeds, etc and even accompany them on an annual Duck Boat tour through Boston Harbor each year during move in.

Just wanted to point out that they are much more than a random bunch of folks who show up once or twice a season...

• Like 2