MADISON SCOUTS 2015

Interesting how some on the prediction thread has Madison placing 12th or not making finals at all. The reason being that the show is "boring and too old school in design." I wander am I and the majority of scout alums and fans missing something here? I think that yes, musically and thematically it is a throwback show to the 50s era. But, that is just the theme of the show. In this age of drum corps does s corps need to have a dark, avant guard type of show with heavy electronics for the bulk of today's drum corps fans to appreciate the show? If this is the case I am sure the staff can go there if need be. But, it is disappointing at minimum and alarming at best if this is the case of where the average drum corps fan and the activity has gone. If it is the case honestly in my opinion the activity will not be able to sustain itself for another decade with only about 6 or 7 corps standing.

Interesting how some on the prediction thread has Madison placing 12th or not making finals at all. The reason being that the show is "boring and too old school in design." I wander am I and the majority of scout alums and fans missing something here? I think that yes, musically and thematically it is a throwback show to the 50s era. But, that is just the theme of the show. In this age of drum corps does s corps need to have a dark, avant guard type of show with heavy electronics for the bulk of today's drum corps fans to appreciate the show? If this is the case I am sure the staff can go there if need be. But, it is disappointing at minimum and alarming at best if this is the case of where the average drum corps fan and the activity has gone. If it is the case honestly in my opinion the activity will not be able to sustain itself for another decade with only about 6 or 7 corps standing.

I don't think anyone criticizes the show design because of the theme. Lack of depth, easy features, simplistic orchestration...have nothing to do with the theme.

Are you saying the musical book is simple when you say simplistic orchestration? And when you say lack of depth do you mean there needs to be much more things happening in the show visually? Please explain.

Edited by Madcityscout

This is a pretty tough book musically. I Saw a lot of the trumpet parts many months ago. I don't think it has to be dark and foreboding to win over fans. I flipping LOVE this out of madison. IT makes a lot more sense from a continuity standpoint than last year. I think it will absolutely sizzle at finals, and can't wait to see it. This arrangement is definitely loud, and what I consider just flat classic scouts. I don't actually give a flying poo where it finishes competitively. I doubt I'm alone.

PS I have it slotted 10th

• Like 1

Are you saying the musical book is simple when you say simplistic orchestration? And when you say lack of depth do you mean there needs to be much more things happening in the show visually? Please explain.

I'd like to read the explanation too. Maybe it was a drive by shooting, and he has no actual answers.

I'd like to read the explanation too. Maybe it was a drive by shooting, and he has no actual answers.

Depth is hard to explain, but you know it when you see it. Sure, it is hard to paint fruit, because it requires a working knowledge of the intricacies of painting. BUT, it is harder to draw less literal images, because it requires a part of the artistic experience that is indefinable.

Madison's show is fruit. It is wonderful. It is well done. It is literal as hell. It requires a LOT of excellence and knowledge to put together. But that bowl of fruit isn't Edward Munch's The Scream.

Famous-Fruit-Paintings-Fruit.jpg

top20_most_expansive_paintings_14.jpg

Highly doubt Madison is being knocked down for not having a dark and foreboding show. The Blue Knights did just fine with a show that was probably the most uplifting drum corps show I've ever watched.

• Like 1

This is a pretty tough book musically. I Saw a lot of the trumpet parts many months ago. I don't think it has to be dark and foreboding to win over fans. I flipping LOVE this out of madison. IT makes a lot more sense from a continuity standpoint than last year. I think it will absolutely sizzle at finals, and can't wait to see it. This arrangement is definitely loud, and what I consider just flat classic scouts. I don't actually give a flying poo where it finishes competitively. I doubt I'm alone.

PS I have it slotted 10th

You mean you do not care about this????

h2j6T7B3.jpeg

• Like 1

Depth is hard to explain, but you know it when you see it. Sure, it is hard to paint fruit, because it requires a working knowledge of the intricacies of painting. BUT, it is harder to draw less literal images, because it requires a part of the artistic experience that is indefinable.

Madison's show is fruit. It is wonderful. It is well done. It is literal as hell. It requires a LOT of excellence and knowledge to put together. But that bowl of fruit isn't Edward Munch's The Scream.

Famous-Fruit-Paintings-Fruit.jpg

top20_most_expansive_paintings_14.jpg

Hmmm....you write that as though you think The Scream is a superior painting to that bowl of fruit. I prefer the bowl of fruit. BTW wasn't The Scream stolen several years ago? Was it ever recovered?

• Like 1

As a full-time professional artist, I call b.s. on the above assertion that Munch's "The Scream" has more depth than

the bowl of fruit. You are comparing 2 entirely different styles and intents. The bowl of fruit is a purely representational

painting and "The Scream" is an expressionist painting. Anyone who claims that one style is inherently better or more

sophisticated than another, is literally comparing apples and oranges. And it's sad that there seems to be a trend in this

activity that certain styles are frowned upon. I know, it's the sheets....the top corps are simply playing to the sheets. Well,

if we are going to call this activity an art form, then the sheets need to encourage all ranges of styles and expressions.

If not, then ultimately, everything becomes homogenized and we drift toward a form of "group think".

Anyway, my overall point is, the bowl of fruit should be able to win as much as "The Scream" if it is performed

well enough. If not, then we have a lot of conformity going on. Do we want that?

• Like 2