2014 Drum Corps Associates World Championships Finals Competition

well, there's all sorts of crap on the back of the judges individual score sheets that read as you are only comparing each ensemble to itself and the material at hand. not to anyone else. Its doesn't read as a "compare/contrast against the field" it reads as an "execution of the provided material"

That being said, I'm not sure 100s are possible to give in a system that scores you on your material and execution in a subjective performance art form. There is no perfect in anything created or performed by humans.

Two judges assigned the Bucs a 100 with two corps left to perform. How does that leave room for either of the final two corps to score higher? Did those two judges feel that neither of the two remaining corps could possibly be better? Two additional judges assigned MBI a 100 with Cabs no room left to score higher. How could Cab se be determined to NOT BE TOPS in four captions before performing?

How can a judge make it impossible for any corps to outscore a corps that performed before them?

I don't ask this question as sour grapes, I don't see how the four 100s are consistent with the scoring system. Ticks? Yes, perfection can happen with the first corps. But shutting out a corps before they perform means the Cabs performed with NO CHANCE of outscoring MBI or Bucs in four captions.

Perhaps I don't understand the scoring system as well as I thought I did.

Joe

• Like 2

well, there's all sorts of crap on the back of the judges individual score sheets that read as you are only comparing each ensemble to itself and the material at hand. not to anyone else. Its doesn't read as a "compare/contrast against the field" it reads as an "execution of the provided material"

That being said, I'm not sure 100s are possible to give in a system that scores you on your material and execution in a subjective performance art form. There is no perfect in anything created or performed by humans.

You are right about this, but it looked like they were comparing to history some times this summer. You can see the gradual climb and improvement from the Bucs all summer. They chipped away at em and the luck was on their side tonight. I saw the other team several times and they were quite similar each time, nothing major on the positive side, other than hype momentum.

100 is not perfect. It is the highest score available. The back of the sheet does not say perfect anywhere.

• Like 1

I was to cover Finals for DCW, sorry about that Kevin!

you guys could just hire me instead.

Rochester now has a similar noise ordinance as Annapolis. No playing the corps on the field, no instruments during retreat, no victory encores.

That won't be the case in Minneapolis when DCA eventually comes here ;). The corps will be able to party all night to their heart's content.

• Like 1

In DCA, Judges don't turn in numbers until everyone has performed.

On the face of it, that seems to me to be a bogus scoring system. IMHO, the scores earned in each caption should be based on that corp's execution, and should stand on its own....independent of what any other corps achieved before or after. One could say that there is more than enough subjective judging in the activity without this 'numbers management' jive. And, I would apply this opinion to DCI as well as DCA.

• Like 3

Of course, this DCA Championship will be talked about for many years to come. Despite, on its own, the Cabs' penalty having no bearing on determining the eventual winner, it will long be remembered, because it could have.

I admire Tom Argy for making such a courageous call. Hey, if an infraction is right there, it should be called, I think. That could not have been an easy decision by Tom, but the man's been around a very long time, and he was obviously paying close attention to the action, as we all should expect of him. Congratulations, Tom Argy.

• Like 4