2014 Drum Corps Associates World Championships Finals Competition

There's your 2014 champion.

Fans and judges can be on completely different pages these days... thats for sure.

Maybe the point isn't that the penalty shouldn't have been awarded. Maybe the point we're all missing is that the rule is dumb. Think about it - a 1pt penalty FOR THAT??!?!

Certain people have tried to get that rule cleaned up in the past and failed. We'll see how the Cabs come down next time it's voted on.

• Like 2

Just a couple of notes from a CV fan/parent on performances last night:

• Squeaker for sure between CV and C2. Was obviously hoping for a different outcome, and achieving a 5th place finish for the first time would have been sweet, but a high score for CV is still pretty cool.
  • Reading brought it last night. I'm not sure where that performance was on Saturday but they elevated to another level last night. Even the Cabs fans around us had that "Oh shoot!" look on their face.
  • MBI didn't do much for me in the first half of their show. The second half almost made up for it. Almost...
  • Cabs were solid, again, and did absolutely nothing to hurt themselves (well, there was that point deduction for something...). They were the most consistent (as in consistently high performance) from day to day so finishing behind/tied with MBI (not counting the penalty) was a headscratcher.

I think Reading caught lightning in a bottle and peaked at just the right time. I was amazed at the difference from one day to the next and apparently the judges were too. Ultimately it comes down to what I tell folks about subjectively-judged events - if you want certainty of outcome become an accountant. Otherwise the world we're in is what it is (which is what makes it fun/frustrating of course...).

• Like 5

I went into last evening feeing the Cabs had all but sewed up the title based on a solid prelims win.

The Bucs set the bar pretty high going on first. They executed flawlessly and you could feel their energy. Most importantly the full impact of the show was realized and the dynamic of the Shostakovich ending just tore the house down. Neither Minnesota Brass nor Cabs were able to match that dynamic.

It was just one of the best nights of drum corps I can remember in a long time and capped off with an incredible Star United performance.

Congrats to everyone and thanks for the great entertainment.

• Like 3

Do you know if it's allowed at every show, or just Championships?

Just curious ... that's all ... obviously all the member corps voted on the change ...

I wish DCA would offer a Judging for Dummies course before each season for ... well ... dummies like me ...

:-)

As far as I recall......every show.

The historical question remains... when was the last time a 3rd place finisher in the prelims came back the following nite and won the title ? Its been a long time since this has happened, so I thought I'd ask.

1986, Bush as far as I can tell.

Cabs and Steel City were tied for first.

Though I believe Prelims and Finals were on the same day back then.

Edited by Kyle B

Heck Joe, I've announced shows in recent years from the box and could swear that the judges put down numbers prior to signing and turning in their sheets ... yes, they all had a crib sheet (like we all did when we judged) where they kept a log of notes and numbers assigned, but I never knew they had to opportunity to go back and adjust scores already given out ... I guess I just learned a new lesson about what "numbers management" means when those in the know make comments here ...

:dontgetit:

...as recently as just several seasons ago----an adjudicator would be (and was, if I recall) banned immediately from any further judging for doing what is acceptable at this present time.

Sure wish I could have been there. I didn't see any of the corps but it seemed pretty clear that the Cabs were the favorite going into championships. Yes, penalties suck, but if you don't like them, change the rules.

Being from Pennsylvania, and a Buccaneers fan, I was obviously pleased with the outcome. But, when my friend called to give me the results, I thought he was pulling my chain.

My entire post failed to appear, including the quote..... oh well, it must not have been important.

Edited by JoeDz