Cadets 2015

Yes, it is an egamoh. :augen51:

I think I shall refer to their "count-up" as an egamoh for the rest of the season.

• Like 1

I disagree with that (kind of). For example, Crown flies around the field pretty frequently playing tons of fantastic melodies and they get rewarded pretty well for it. BUT, I do agree that it opens up the chance for more dirt as we've seen in some of their shows in the not too distant past.

Hey I know I have my moments sometimes, but I try hard to give the same respect that I want given to me over the internet.

Crown picks and chooses when to fly. It's not all out all the time like Cadets in the era you picked.

Now don't get me wrong...outside of 96 and 99, there isn't a Cadets show from 83-2000 I didn't love, and 93 is in my top 5 all time faves. But demand isn't just singular now. Sure BD gets the #### kicked out of them because "they never move". But they do....enough to show they can do it. Then they show you something else. Then something else. programming like that era visually is just the same skill set over and over and over.'

Does it make for better shows? That can be debated both on the sheets and in the stands. I'm so over the same old body visuals in every drum break. eventually something new will come along, and the trend will break. Same with brass body.

the thing with Cadets is how an alumnus put to me......"we all had the shirt...first we zigged, so everyone zigged, so then we zagged. the problem is...Cadets are still sagging while others have moved on to zugging.

Even last year the Cavies finally broke out of that formula they were stuck in from say 2000-2012. Phantom, is still in a rut of sameness, but at least that we know of, no one dies this year. BD was even getting that way and then they shook it up a little last year. Crown I am hoping broke out of their formula to a degree after last year that they have been showing since 08.

Cadets, when they try to have a formula keep reaching back to what worked in a different time and place. if there's one consistency...it's been inconsistency. And sometimes, if early season scores don't pan out, some panic changes get thrown in that really don't help.

IMO last year...less talking and no stage.....show scores higher, because some great drill and music was hidden by both.

Then again, they can redo 93 next year and i'll jump up and down like a little kid!

How do you classify all the squats? Are they part of the "intellectual" side, or the "drill for the sake of drill" side?

body for the sake of body....or maybe the members, just need to air out :tounge2:

Thank you gabe211!! ...for providing the video as I couldn't get periscope to work...Thank You GH! ...you are spot on when it comes to giving a fanatic like myself what I crave! :worthy:

I really enjoyed the preview!! ...warts and all...very powerful music....and to the mellos <smokin' hot>...best of luck for the coming competitive season...I can't wait to see you at A-town (early and late season) and Clifton, NJ. :smile:

Crown picks and chooses when to fly. It's not all out all the time like Cadets in the era you picked.

Now don't get me wrong...outside of 96 and 99, there isn't a Cadets show from 83-2000 I didn't love, and 93 is in my top 5 all time faves. But demand isn't just singular now. Sure BD gets the #### kicked out of them because "they never move". But they do....enough to show they can do it. Then they show you something else. Then something else. programming like that era visually is just the same skill set over and over and over.'

Does it make for better shows? That can be debated both on the sheets and in the stands. I'm so over the same old body visuals in every drum break. eventually something new will come along, and the trend will break. Same with brass body.

the thing with Cadets is how an alumnus put to me......"we all had the shirt...first we zigged, so everyone zigged, so then we zagged. the problem is...Cadets are still sagging while others have moved on to zugging.

Even last year the Cavies finally broke out of that formula they were stuck in from say 2000-2012. Phantom, is still in a rut of sameness, but at least that we know of, no one dies this year. BD was even getting that way and then they shook it up a little last year. Crown I am hoping broke out of their formula to a degree after last year that they have been showing since 08.

Cadets, when they try to have a formula keep reaching back to what worked in a different time and place. if there's one consistency...it's been inconsistency. And sometimes, if early season scores don't pan out, some panic changes get thrown in that really don't help.

IMO last year...less talking and no stage.....show scores higher, because some great drill and music was hidden by both.

Then again, they can redo 93 next year and i'll jump up and down like a little kid!

But that's my point. While everyone else has moved onto "zugging", I don't see why Cadets can't zag+zig= zeg. I think it would make for a much more exciting show while adding more than just one skill set for which they are known. Maybe one day it'll happen. I do miss the era in which I marched, but I'm gradually accepting that it is a different time and the way corps are judged today is a lot different than they were judged back then.

in todays activity, that type of show will not be rewarded as much. just flying around he field at breakneck pace and playing a ton of notes isn't enough. the effect needs to be far more intellectual, and drill demand for the sake of drill demand means nothing, and opens up the chance for more dirt.

I prefer a show more like 13 ( doesn't mean you have to have the boxes) as that seemed more suited to success in todays world. if anything the boxes hurt them

You're 100% correct. GH said exactly that pre 2014 season that they will do less crazy demand because it's not rewarded. (BD standing still for the crazy brass runs and running with a 105 at finals but surely I digress). Now I've watched some of their live vids from ST and they're bad at the craziness so..

How do you classify all the squats? Are they part of the "intellectual" side, or the "drill for the sake of drill" side?

And wait until you see BD as in the photo given for their opening set by their official photographer: http://www.drumcorpsplanet.com/forums/index.php/topic/162107-blue-devils-2015-ink/page-25, post 246.

Jeff and Ele, what do we classify that?

Richard Simmons meets drum corps?

While I give credit for for some creativity, most of the drill programs today in DCI today of late seem copy-cat, monkey see, monkey do. This isn't a change from past trends, but definitely not as vanguard as what was experienced in the early '80's. It mimics the same trend in WGI where the program is no longer the feet, but all the clutter.

You're 100% correct. GH said exactly that pre 2014 season that they will do less crazy demand because it's not rewarded. (BD standing still for the crazy brass runs and running with a 105 at finals but surely I digress). Now I've watched some of their live vids from ST and they're bad at the craziness so..

I feel like George and friends keep zigging and zagging back and forth on this. I remember Hop and Gino talking at finals in '06 saying that they needed to cut back on visual demand for demand's sake. But then the end of 2008 and 2009 happened. It is hard, they want to be competitive and innovative, but "run & gun" is the signature and people LOVE it...