Cadets 2015

I am beginning to feel this same sentiment. This site is beginning to bring out the worst in me.

After some comments the past few days. Don't blame you. There's valid criticism. And then there is being a total ####bag about it. Edited by DrumManTx
  • Like 2

I'm really excited that Bloo is making moves but I really don't want it to be at the expense of The Cadets. This show is too good to not medal.

• Like 2

After some comments the past few days. Don't blame you. There's valid criticism. And then there is being a total ####bag about it.

If you two leave then I'm out as well haha

I doubt they will. After all this hype about the all black, i'm sure they're gonna ride it through no matter what. Sucks though because looks like they might be coming in 4th this year which is hard to believe with this type of show.

Yeah I'm guessing they won't change it back either. I just find it disappointing that the season ends like this and possibly another slip.

• Like 1

Well for starters, I'm a fan.

And I don't have the first ####### clue on how to design a successful drum corps show. And as much as other posters on this forum would have you believe, 99.9% of them don't either. (That .1% belong to corpsband and Channel3. They've got it figured out.)

As for the alumni... mad respect to them, but see above. Having marched a show doesn't qualify you to design one. Especially considering how the activity has evolved. The last thing we need is yet another Cadets' rendition of West Side Story or Bernstein Medley.

All my humble opinion of course.

Coming from the perspective of a former high school band director, successful show design is very difficult. And even if you think you have all of the kick *** elements and music put together for a killer show, once you put it on the field it still may not even work the way you envision.

Does anybody think Cadets come out finals night in at least white pants (if not the entire old color scheme) to help their GE score? It's clear their GE Visual scores are hurting since the change.

Yes.

The old cummerbunds, and frankly a shako with white plume (more color and contrast) would help connect and define the visual picture as well. I don't care about Phantom Regiment in all black winning in the last century, black front, black back, and black headgear is a visual black hole. PR didn't march with the choreography 21st century corps use that contributes to visual scores.

Cadets are committed to the visual black hole. The judges will not jump them points on finals night just by changing pants. If Cadets want to win with a better visual picture, they had better do it now. I hold out zero chance that will happen, it would better to get used to the idea of finishing fourth.

Edited by wvu80

I am beginning to feel this same sentiment. This site is beginning to bring out the worst in me.

Yep. I just came back and started posting a few weeks ago and am already tired of it.

• Like 2

I think it's the z-pull. They put in the new ending around July 4, and started getting wins vs BD. They took out that running company front, replaced it with the z-pull, and scores started to slide. Before the uniform change.

The crowd goes crazy for the Z pull, at least they did in Massilon last night, I was there. The ending is fantastic and is goosebump time, the crowd jumped to its feet way before the last note. The Z pull does not looked forced into the drill, it totally fits the music and puts an exclamation point to the ending.

You know its the ending, unlike some other top corpsBluecoatsendings this year which do looked forced, like a last minute add-on.

Edited by wvu80
  • Like 2

Funny how lots of folks on here are design experts and know exactly what is driving the judges scores. Please share how the rest of us can have such insight into what wins and how to bring it to life because there's some good jobs out there we could have.

I have 33 years of watching championship corps. I assure you I know what I like, and I can see what wins. The formula is actually quite simple. The Cadets know what that formula is, they've been doing it since 1982. The formula is easy to know, hard to do.

I am an expert judge of one person's opinion, sitting in the stands, no more, no less. We all are.

• Like 1

Guard looked good on Blurry periscope, lol

So no idea really...

Oh, I thought you said the guard looked blurry on Periscope. If you did, that would actually be pretty accurate.

The guard outfits look pretty good in isolation, IMO. In action on the field, the guard now suffers from the same visual problem the corps does, the clear lines of the guard are now connected by the black pants to the black lines of the marching members, muddying up both. It just looks amorphous out there, very undefined lines, like a scatter drill all the time.

The guard themselves are very talented IMO, they are NOT terrible, they are a world class guard operating within a well designed program. The problem I see is every time they do flag work, it's simply NOT together. I think that hurts the CG score, and it hurts the overall visual score.

I am NOT a guard person, that is just my opinion seeing them live in person, and on DCI Live!.

Edited by wvu80