Cadets 2015

Marching members of the Modern Era realize that Saturday, August first is the simultaneous triple birthday of Gino (brass caption head), Colin (percussion head), and of an aged out horn sgt. who hasn't been heard from in too long.

Well, at the Bethlehem rehearsal Saturday just before ensemble, Gino went to continue the routine with the brass line, the DM asked for a moment, and then beginning with several cross field soloists the hornline moved Gino to tears as they surprised him with a symphonic full line brass rendering of "Happy Birthday."

Said the master to the faithful, "That was so amazingly cool!!! No corps has ever done that for me before! When did you have time to learn that???" flabbergasted Gino asked.

"Walking over to the field!" was the "spontaneous" full line response in perfect unison.

Great kids, great tribute.

They did it a second time at the end of their ensemble rehearsal, this time for Colin.

This corps clearly loves Gino and Colin! Then again how could they not?!

• Like 2

Go get em tonight Cadets! Look forward to seeing all the shows in a few days.

• Like 1

You're going to finals?

Yes. We're meeting you for drinks.

• Like 1

I think it's pathetic all the time that's been wasted thinking about uniform colors.

It's a #### gimmick. And it doesn't work.

"10" as a theme is as superficial as it gets, and that so many cadets fans are all agog about colors makes me worry about the tradition of the Cadets that I fell in love with in the 80s, and why I drove all those all-night car trips in 1991 from Oxford, Ohio to NJ for their camps, instead of the easy 1.5 hours to Bloomington (for a corps that ended up winning gold that year): because the CBC were the corps that was pushing the boundaries the most, that had the best aesthetic vision, the most demanding staff, and the tradition of Arete that I loved.

100+ posts about black vs creme? Ridiculous.

Why not spend time and energy getting the alumni and fans together and working hard to insure that next year's theme and show design is actually worthy of the gold-medal talent of the MMs?

Did you actually march Cadets in '91?

As an alum, I'm not concerned whether they get the gold medal. I'll be happy for them if they do, but won't feel slighted of they don't.

Instead, I want those members to leave the Cadets having learned the lessons about hard work, self reliance, discipline and self respect that lie at the center of the corps' values.

Those lessons have helped me immeasurably in life. These aren't just platitudes, mind you. I'm talking about academic and professional challenges, interpersonal relationships and life's nasty curveballs.

I've sat and wondered whether my career would survive some unexpected twists. I've rushed my wife to the hospital at 2:00 a.m. thinking she had food poisoning, only to learn she had a potentially life-threatening condition that required immediate surgery. I've sat in one hospital as my new-born son fought a blood infection that gave him a 50/50 shot at making it, and in another hospital waiting for an ambulance to arrive with my four-year-old daughter, not knowing if she survived riding in a car that was struck by a dump truck at 50 MPH.

It would be easy to fall apart at any of those times. Instead, I've remembered the lessons I've learned. When things aren't going well, bring it down to field level and execute. Do what you know is right, and do it well. Sing the corps hymn quietly to yourself, then go do your job.

So if the 2015 Cadets go home with the life experience that positions them better to handle life's real challenges, I'll be a happy man. If they finish the drum corps game in first place, that's just a nice bonus.

Every one in my family is just fine. Went through some tough times, though.

• Like 3

If West Side Story is never played again, it will still be too soon. Same with the Planets.

• Like 1