Cadets 2015

In this era of the misplaced apostrophe, this is a new one. And yes, some pieces are so connected to a specific corps that others would do well to leave it alone. Gosh, someone could start a thread on that...

This has to be sarcasm, otherwise corps like Crown would not be able to play much music. :dry:

This has to be sarcasm, otherwise corps like Crown would not be able to play much music. :dry:

I'm not saying you shouldn't play Anything that's been done before. I'm saying there is a small subset of pieces that are so iconically linked to a certain corps that others should leave it be. Example: I know many corps have played malagueña, but Madison made it their own. I wouldn't play it again because it has become Madison's. Same with Cadets and music from On The Waterfront and Jeremiah Symphony. SCV and YPG and the Bottle Dance. For example. Just my opinion. Edited by HockeyDad
  • Like 1

I'm not saying you shouldn't play Anything that's been done before. I'm saying there is a small subset of pieces that are so iconically linked to a certain corps that others should leave it be. Example: I know many corps have played malagueña, but Madison made it their own. I wouldn't play it again because it has become Madison's. Same with Cadets and music from On The Waterfront and Jeremiah Symphony. SCV and YPG and the Bottle Dance. For example. Just my opinion.

I used to think that way. There was a time when I thought no world class corps should touch WSS after Cadets' masterful 84 & 94 programs. Then Kiwanis Kavaliers did a very different awesome (and different) program in 1996, and Blue Devils did a great, totally different show in 1998.

I thought after SCV owned YPG no WC corps should try. But Cadets nailed YPG in 2001. Garfiels's "On the Waterfront?" SCV KILLED it awesomely in 1997.

While I personally want to hear new music and show concepts, DCI designers have taught me over the years that when they're on their game they can construct a FABULOUS show, regardless of who played what source material previously.

• Like 1

I'm not saying you shouldn't play Anything that's been done before. I'm saying there is a small subset of pieces that are so iconically linked to a certain corps that others should leave it be. Example: I know many corps have played malagueña, but Madison made it their own. I wouldn't play it again because it has become Madison's. Same with Cadets and music from On The Waterfront and Jeremiah Symphony. SCV and YPG and the Bottle Dance. For example. Just my opinion.

disagree

If SCV can play Appalachian Spring after the Cadets masterpiece of 1987 then anything goes.

I used to think that way. There was a time when I thought no world class corps should touch WSS after Cadets' masterful 84 & 94 programs. Then Kiwanis Kavaliers did a very different awesome (and different) program in 1996, and Blue Devils did a great, totally different show in 1998.

I thought after SCV owned YPG no WC corps should try. But Cadets nailed YPG in 2001. Garfiels's "On the Waterfront?" SCV KILLED it awesomely in 1997.

While I personally want to hear new music and show concepts, DCI designers have taught me over the years that when they're on their game they can construct a FABULOUS show, regardless of who played what source material previously.

Totally agree! They bring new ideas to the table. (as long as they do!) Another example was the very enjoyable WSS Sky Ryders show just a few years after Cadets 1984 winning one. An extremely popular production quite the fan-favorite.

I'd like to see some new things from Cadets as long as musically, they continue that wonderful multi layered complex beautifully coherent music composition approach, I'll be happy.

Hello Jon Molloy and Cadets:

You sent out emailed announcements just now including a promo for audition package and information. BUT when it is clicked, server says one must sign in with the password or otherwise unauthorized.

QUESTION: How does the interested auditionee have the password if the auditionee can't get the information to let the corps know the person is seeking further info?

I know Hopkins has been hacked in the recent past (no more twittering) and that his beloved Philadelphia is in stealth mode due to Papa Francisco's visit, but this seems all a bit paranoid and very counter-productive. In fact, since the black unis, the whole Cadets/Yea web page has been acting strangely.

Steve Shuey fix now, Thank you.

Publicly posted to generate prompt addressing and to insure auditionees, "It's not your fault." Corps office has been phoned; their appraising this past band weekend it seems.

Edited by xandandl

Hello Jon Molloy and Cadets:

You sent out emailed announcements just now including a promo for audition package and information. BUT when it is clicked, server says one must sign in with the password or otherwise unauthorized.

QUESTION: How does the interested auditionee have the password if the auditionee can't get the information to let the corps know the person is seeking further info?

I know Hopkins has been hacked in the recent past (no more twittering) and that his beloved Philadelphia is in stealth mode due to Papa Francisco's visit, but this seems all a bit paranoid and very counter-productive. In fact, since the black unis, the whole Cadets/Yea web page has been acting strangely.

Steve Shuey fix now, Thank you.

Publicly posted to generate prompt addressing and to insure auditionees, "It's not your fault." Corps office has been phoned; their appraising this past band weekend it seems.

Seems a troubleshooting session on their development site triggered an old email...settle yourself down.

• Like 1