Cadets 2015

From the clips I have heard, I think I am really going to LOVE this show. Funny thing about Cadets, for me I either really love their shows, or I really dislike them. To me they are the most up and down corps from a music/design standpoint. Shows like This I Believe, Sarah Jones, 12.25 and last year, I didn't care for at all. But I will admit even though I didn't like those shows, I am not sure they shouldn't have place a spot higher for the 12.25 show, and last year, even though I loved Bluecoats(first time ever Bluecoats were my favorite corps show of the year), I am not completely convinced they should have edged out Cadets for 2nd. The performance level on almost every level was better from Cadets over Bluecoats from what I saw.

Cadets also have a way of surprising me. 2 years ago when they did the Bartok show, I was not expecting to like it since it seemed like a redone Star/SCV show. But that show turned out amazing, and was my 2nd favorite show of the year, behind SCV doing an old Cadets show with Les Mis. I actually thought between the show design and performance level at finals, that possibly Cadets should have actually won in 2013.

There are lots of things I disagree with Hopkins on over the years, but I do give him and the Cadets credit for having the best preseason media and information available. And even on years where I don't care for the show music or design, I will say that those kids are performing the heck out of those shows. But this I am really looking forward to seeing that full show on the field. I think this will be a great show from them. And thanks to Hopkins and crew for alllowing us to hear parts of the show so early before the season begins.

• Like 3

Just daydreaming as an armchair uniform designer, wondering what you could do with the Cadets uniform for this show that might tie in. The most obvious would be to add a second cross belt, a la classic Blue Stars, to make an X on the front of the jacket. Even if not in white (so it doesn't hit you in the head from a distance), it would still create a similar effect.

Of course, also keeping in mind the dark nature of the music, black variants would work as well. As a one-off, though, it might be cost prohibitive, but they would look stellar in the classic Cadets uniform in varying textures and shades of black, a la Regiment in '96.

Just some random Wednesday morning thoughts...

Mike

• Like 1

Did you offer your thoughts to Mr. Hopkins in his Tuesday talk-a-thons last night? He's inviting the first 20 persons who ring in to offer suggestions, comments, and discuss the show.

Were any of the DCPers amongst the first 20? (I was busy getting my free Ben & Jerry's ice cream cone!!!)

While the '86 show has put a crimp on anything black being associated with the Cadets, I understand your crossbelt proposal if in white but remind that Hopkins is a Crossmen alum. Crossmen wore crossbelts and x's on their uniform when Hopkins and Hannum marched together and for many seasons after. The Crosspeople are still very, very touchy (note I didn't say cross) about anything of their history commingling with Cadets based on the politics of the YEA involvement and the move to Texas.

I still don't understand the fetish of people from hot state areas (Florida, Texas, SW and California) with all things black. I think you're all in Texas, right?

Edited by xandandl

Did you offer your thoughts to Mr. Hopkins in his Tuesday talk-a-thons last night? He's inviting the first 20 persons who ring in to offer suggestions, comments, and discuss the show.

Naah, I have no stake in the Cadets other than as a fan. I'm happy to simply play "what if" on a message board. Like I said, simply daydreaming of alterations that might tie in with the show theme.

Mike

(Here's what it would look like in white... http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000Ma2MaFdgf.0/s/650/650/West-Point-Cadets-GOR-90456-cR1-11.jpg )

Naah, I have no stake in the Cadets other than as a fan. I'm happy to simply play "what if" on a message board. Like I said, simply daydreaming of alterations that might tie in with the show theme.

Mike

(Here's what it would look like in white... http://cdn.c.photoshelter.com/img-get/I0000Ma2MaFdgf.0/s/650/650/West-Point-Cadets-GOR-90456-cR1-11.jpg )

And of course, that exactly where both Cadets and the Boston Crusaders derived their classic uniforms.

Just daydreaming as an armchair uniform designer, wondering what you could do with the Cadets uniform for this show that might tie in. The most obvious would be to add a second cross belt, a la classic Blue Stars, to make an X on the front of the jacket. Even if not in white (so it doesn't hit you in the head from a distance), it would still create a similar effect.

Of course, also keeping in mind the dark nature of the music, black variants would work as well. As a one-off, though, it might be cost prohibitive, but they would look stellar in the classic Cadets uniform in varying textures and shades of black, a la Regiment in '96.

Just some random Wednesday morning thoughts...

Mike

Personally, after last year's uniform fiasco (cummerbunds falling off the uniform, for example), I think they should just wear the uniform in its traditional form. Leave all the other stuff to the guard. That's just me.

• Like 1

Personally, after last year's uniform fiasco (cummerbunds falling off the uniform, for example), I think they should just wear the uniform in its traditional form. Leave all the other stuff to the guard. That's just me.

I thought the cummerbund changes were cool. A simple way to visually illustrate the various sections of the show.

• Like 1

I thought the cummerbund changes were cool. A simple way to visually illustrate the various sections of the show.

I agree that the idea was cool, but there were too many times where things didn't go as planned, which ruined the moment.