Cadets 2015

Emphasizing individual sections? So similar to 2007?

I like the emphasis on french horns/mellos. Cadets have the best mello lines in my opinion.

Speaking of 2007, if you skip ahead to 7:46 you'll hear the opener from the 2007 show. I believe that will be the opener for this year's show as well.

Chris NCSU who has been lately busy offering his congratulations to those Cadets at Duke had previously posted in this thread that he heard from Hopkins that the uniform tinkering might be with the shako.

I am picturing the temporary replacement of the Eagle with the numeral ten (X) but perhaps (10) in silver chrome, or the same on the flat top of the shako...or even the silver cross strap buckle temporarily replaced by the same.

No proof for any of these, just imagining. That the plume is ten inches is definitely a given. We've already seen Surf and a thousand and one bands (Kenneshaw Mtn., Hunterdon, etc.) do the changing plume before your very eyes trick already.

Just marking time until April camp and then Spring Training.

Edited by xandandl
  • Like 1

Chris NCSU who has been lately busy offering his congratulations to those Cadets at Duke

lol

35 minute talk, so here is a summary of the summary: Cloud tape was still up at 11 am but reception not fine. So far...

Emphasis on math rather than retelling the vita and circumstances of Shosty,.

Some slight uniform adjustments may appear LATER in the season.

Props are there but small, about 3-4 feet high.

Emphasis on showcasing each section of the corps (a la 2000????)

Prelude sets theme musically and visually.

Second movement (very extended) is bulk of opener (3 minutes plus.)

Percussion feature ("Hey, its drum corps!)

Ballad is not Shostakovitch but from this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3AgxaaiJeIQ and Israeli dance troupe. Some little bit of voice will be a variation of counting. Guard featured with four groups of 10 (dance, etc.)

Third number has heavy percussion feature, even a waltz going then up to 224bpm(!) with brass with 15 French horn feature included.

Fourth movement, Shosty, is typical Cadets, emphasis on visual and drill, counterlines, low brass/mellophones, includes all previous melodies of show. Mellophone ecstasy!.

Closer will be fast!!! (Major request from membership and from Cadetnation.)

Reprise.

George says that if one emails him nicely at Yea, he will send links and midis. (hopkins@yea.org)

He also says he is still open to suggestions, advice, and clarifications...try next week's webinar for more.

Sounds like the fully-composed, edge-of-your-seat Cadet-type show that I've wanted for a while now.

Speaking of 2007, if you skip ahead to 7:46 you'll hear the opener from the 2007 show. I believe that will be the opener for this year's show as well.

...although differently arranged, GH says, and without the voice.

Math?

Counting?

What's it called?

"Hopkins on a Sand Dune"

Hilarious.

Edited by 2000Cadet

When they're moving that fast, I want to know: How are we going to be able to tell there's actually 10?

At 240 bpm it could be 9 or 11 and you'd never be able to count them.

Something tells me that Sacktig is going to have a ball with 10.

Did someone mention 10 snares? Just wondering.

(/ 1/2 sarcasm)

Edited by garfield

Dear Garphield,

Tick: it's Sacktig.

Yes 10 snares who will become 10 quads (but can you call them quads anymore if there are 10 of them?)

And to assess those 10 members constantly it might help to remember that this is also the Tribute to Earl Joyce, DCI HoFer who passed away this winter.

He with Marie Grana's brother Hank instituted the "running judges" back in the days of the tick-sheet and the upping of tempos. For those who can't keep up, there is always the slo-mo button on your DVD. But then again, that slo-mo just might appear at one point of the show.... Slo-mo was well used in the Les Miz show in Kansas City. We shall see.

Edited by xandandl

Dear Garphield,

Tick: it's Sacktig.

Yes 10 snares who will become 10 quads (but can you call them quads anymore if there are 10 of them?)

And to assess those 10 members constantly it might help to remember that this is also the Tribute to Earl Joyce, DCI HoFer who passed away this winter.

He with Marie Grana's brother Hank instituted the "running judges" back in the days of the tick-sheet and the upping of tempos. For those who can't keep up, there is always the slo-mo button on your DVD. But then again, that slo-mo just might appear at one point of the show.... Slo-mo was well used in the Les Miz show in Kansas City. We shall see.

I had to go pour a scotch to be able to comprehend this post. Mr. Sacktig, my apologies. You can pay Mr. Xandandlefloffer.

Ten snares become ten tenors by going into a bass drum on the left and coming out a bass drum on the right. Got it.

The rest of that jibberish did nothing except force me to pull out my DVD and rewatch Kansas City. Hope you're happy.

I liked that stadium.

• Like 1

Earl Joyce was the grandfather of marching excellence at greater tempos than the old Am. Leg. and VFW sheets.

Must be before your time, whipper-snapper.

So far what Cadets are designing musically and visually, what Crown is rumored, Troopers have offered, and Cavaliers are attempting has me eager for a season of excellence!!!

The more I hear about this show the more I'm VERY excited about it. I've been immersing myself in Shostakovich, primarily Symphony 10. and the Lady MacBeth of the Mtsensk District for a project I'm working on for school, and I've listened to the 10th I don't know how many times over the last few weeks. I've gone form liking Shostakovich because it's good music to absolutely falling in love with his stuff over the last few weeks for its content and emotion. Makes me all the more excited for this show. Emotion wise, I think the music is going to speak for itself. I don't think this is going to be an intentionally dark show, but the music is certainly lending itself to have that kind of tone. Which is awesome. To me it sounds like they're holding back a little prop, narration, ect. wise, just using them to enhance what the music and drill is doing instead of being a big obvious thing. Which is awesome, that's how I like those things used. I'm really excited to see how this show does. I'd totally be up for Cadets #11 this year. I've officially bought my ticket on the hype train.

So far what Cadets are designing musically and visually, what Crown is rumored, Troopers have offered, and Cavaliers are attempting has me eager for a season of excellence!!!

I'm with you Mr. xandandl, I'm anticipating this summer a lot more than last year already.

• Like 1