Regiment '15

Yeah I'm not suggesting that Hill himself is a bad arranger, just that he's not the right areanger for Phantom.

• Like 2

sayeth Corpsband:

In an old house in Paris that was covered with vines

lived twelve little girls in two straight lines.

In two straight lines they broke their bread ...

Yup! Two straight lines sez "Rockford Files" to me, oui ou non?

John Brazale and crew would certainly beam.

I was wondering if anyone would chase down that reference. It certainly occurred to me when I posted it :-)

Absolutely agree. Shaw and Wren were great for Regiment, and it's difficult for Hill to fit in with them. I know Hill is amazing, but I enjoy his marching band work much more than his corps work. Hill knows how to write for woodwinds and brass very well, and I tend to enjoy that more from him.

I think this is why his voicing at Regiment seems incomplete. There's something missing. The layers and power just aren't there.

• Like 3

That makes perfect sense, actually. I've been thinking the same thing. There's nothing wrong with Hill's arrangements, technically (they're actually - in all honesty - quite good), but they don't pop out at you as being incredible, which Phantom has been known for in the past.

• Like 1

That makes perfect sense, actually. I've been thinking the same thing. There's nothing wrong with Hill's arrangements, technically (they're actually - in all honesty - quite good), but they don't pop out at you as being incredible, which Phantom has been known for in the past.

I honestly think he is making the arrangments too complicated. There are a lot of moving parts going on within his arrangements, arpeggios / rolled chords that really don't fit classical arrangements like they do modern and jazz.

To me, whatever the corps (Regiment, Cadets, Glassmen), Hill is always high brass focused. This stands in stark contrast to the Shaw, Wren tradition which gave us "buicks" and what folks today identify as the Regiment-sound.

• Like 3

To me, whatever the corps (Regiment, Cadets, Glassmen), Hill is always high brass focused. This stands in stark contrast to the Shaw, Wren tradition which gave us "buicks" and what folks today identify as the Regiment-sound.

They were definitely partial to their Baris and Euphs, which made for a very rich sound that bolstered the entire hornline, as well as the crowd. Would love to hear more of that style of arranging in the future.

Edited by Land_Surfer

I was wondering if anyone would chase down that reference. It certainly occurred to me when I posted it :-)

It is the opening five pages of Madeline (the first book) which Bemelmans wrote in 1939 and reprinted in 1960, etc.

My research assistant in the children's library fearfully wondered if the show would progress to (Le Bal du) MouIin Rouge ?!?!?!

They'd need bring back the "curtain calls" from white swan/black swan '14!

Edited by xandandl

What about 2012's Turandot? Wasn't there a lot of lower brass in that arrangement?