Regiment '15

My bet is guard. Really hope it's not a brass uniform...

I TOTALLY agree.

That elderly couple couldn't be bothered by it either.

..Or maybe they were, and that's why they left lol

Or the hyper child behind them was ruining it for them??

I listened to their show music 5 times. There are some things I like. The transition from Claire de Lune to American in Paris is nice. The Organ Symphony sounds grand.

There were some horn runs in the opener that were quite nice for this time of year. The lower brass sounds like it's got a lot of "ooomph."

I know it's on Periscope and it's screwing with the sound so there are lots of details that are not apparent, but what is apparent is that rimshots performed in front of a half-shell (that already amplifies the sound) sound like close-range gun shots each and every time.

Just listened to the show: I have a lot of thoughts

The Good: This is definitely the most entertaining concert in the park recording since 2011. It isn't 6 minutes of ballad! They will be able to march some good fast paced drill to this show, hopefully they don't miss a lot of those opportunities to do body movement. The front ensemble played very well for the past couple of years, but their arrangements were pretty bland, this writing seems a lot better. I can't compare performance value quite yet, however. DEMAND! Albeit not extremely difficult, the horn line has a good amount of demand written into their show, which has not been the case the past few years. Also, they just sound GOOD!

The Bad: Melody/flow. IMO a good brass book should be able to stand on its own. That can be said about almost all of my favorite drum corps shows, but I don't think this one can (at least not yet). Musical ideas are not connected very well, in fact they are usually connected by putting a drum break in between them, which in my opinion is no bueno. For a lot of what should be emotional moments (like the organ symphony) there is no musical build, so in turn there won't be an emotional build. I'm not sure why the brass starts that part of organ symphony that everyone knows on the third phrase, it doesn't make a lot of sense without the first two phrases. It sounds like synth is playing something but it didn't sound like the first two phrases, and it'd be better played by the brass anyhow. I'm also not sure how I feel about claire de lune yet either. It might grow on me but right now it seems to jump around too quickly from one section to the next, without really connecting them.

Overall though, much better than what we saw at this time since Shaw left, I just really miss being floored by them. I am hoping for a great visual program! I'm a bit apprehensive since Jamie Thompson is no longer with them, granted he hasn't exactly been at the top of his game for a while. This show has a lot of potential.

A few thoughts:

- I was critical of, but moreso disappointed with, some of the design staff changes made in the offseason. They still don't excite me. But I think they've put together a solid program that flows well. It is one that I'll enjoy listening to all season, I think.

- I don't think that this is a show that is designed to compete at the upper echelons of DCI given how shows are designed in 2015 (and I mean this from a macro view, as I clearly haven't seen visual choices yet). I would say this is true of 2013 and 2014, and it appears that 2015 is following this trend. Given that 2013 and 2014 have prepared me for it, I like the 2015 show. (that is, if I'd heard this show in 2013, I probably wouldn't be as excited).

- This is a departure for them from a musical design perspective, and I think that's terrific. And I like the fresh take on Claire de Lune.

- It will draw comparisons to 2005, and I worry that 2015 will fall short of the AMAZING 2005 production.

- No conflict section! YES!

Just listened to the show: I have a lot of thoughts

The Good: This is definitely the most entertaining concert in the park recording since 2011. It isn't 6 minutes of ballad! They will be able to march some good fast paced drill to this show, hopefully they don't miss a lot of those opportunities to do body movement. The front ensemble played very well for the past couple of years, but their arrangements were pretty bland, this writing seems a lot better. I can't compare performance value quite yet, however. DEMAND! Albeit not extremely difficult, the horn line has a good amount of demand written into their show, which has not been the case the past few years. Also, they just sound GOOD!

The Bad: Melody/flow. IMO a good brass book should be able to stand on its own. That can be said about almost all of my favorite drum corps shows, but I don't think this one can (at least not yet). Musical ideas are not connected very well, in fact they are usually connected by putting a drum break in between them, which in my opinion is no bueno. For a lot of what should be emotional moments (like the organ symphony) there is no musical build, so in turn there won't be an emotional build. I'm not sure why the brass starts that part of organ symphony that everyone knows on the third phrase, it doesn't make a lot of sense without the first two phrases. It sounds like synth is playing something but it didn't sound like the first two phrases, and it'd be better played by the brass anyhow. I'm also not sure how I feel about claire de lune yet either. It might grow on me but right now it seems to jump around too quickly from one section to the next, without really connecting them.

Overall though, much better than what we saw at this time since Shaw left, I just really miss being floored by them. I am hoping for a great visual program! I'm a bit apprehensive since Jamie Thompson is no longer with them, granted he hasn't exactly been at the top of his game for a while. This show has a lot of potential.

Every time I had a feeling of doubt while listening to this Concert in the Park, I just thought back to last year's Concert (which was much worse imo) and then the end product and the doubt vanished. It's probably my recency bias but they turned an awkward show during laat preseason into something I want to listen to by finals. This show in its current state is not nearly as weirdly arranged as last year and looks to have a lot of potential (especially organ symphony) so I'm going to stay optimistic!

But I agree with you that in its current state, too much is being connected through the percussion.

Musical ideas are not connected very well, in fact they are usually connected by putting a drum break in between them, which in my opinion is no bueno.

We usually see eye to eye on many things Regiment, but it appears we don't on this topic. :)

I think the flow is great, especially in light of the last couple years. More effective transitions usually come as the season progresses, but I'm happy with how the pieces are connected so far.

- I don't think that this is a show that is designed to compete at the upper echelons of DCI given how shows are designed in 2015 (and I mean this from a macro view, as I clearly haven't seen visual choices yet). I would say this is true of 2013 and 2014, and it appears that 2015 is following this trend. Given that 2013 and 2014 have prepared me for it, I like the 2015 show. (that is, if I'd heard this show in 2013, I probably wouldn't be as excited).

While I agree that this isn't likely to bring a third Championship to Rockford, I do think the show has the legs to push them back into fourth or fifth territory, which is what they need right now. If what I've been hearing about the visual program is accurate, we'll be looking at a very solid, cohesive program this year, rather than one that's fighting to stay out of eighth.