Theater Attendance Growth - 11 year record growth

I was just stating why the theaters seems like the better choice. At least for now. There is a lot less risk involved. And definite money gained. Not sure the exposure on ESPN did much good for the activity. 2007 was the last year for that right? Viewership seemed positive.. but it just didn't have much positive effect on an activity struggling to find revenue streams. In fact it was a loss of money. The theater broadcast, while of course costing money to do, also has a revenue stream directly attached to it.

Now garfield does keep bringing up that this past year didn't grow like previous years.

One thing I noticed is that it wasn't advertised like last years. At least it seemed that way. In 2013 I remember all season long and preseason, social media and the website really pushing the theater events. This year it seemed like it was briefly mentioned in an article. In fact I had look up if the preseason broadcast was happening, and I didn't see an add for prelims until like the week of or week before. I really think it was lack of advertising. Years prior I remember my Facebook news feed and Twitter being littered with DCI ads. Didn't really get that this past season. Or maybe I was living under a rock this summer.. though I don't think I was.... but I could have been. I actually felt a little better taking the summer off of DCP! :ninja:

Shaking my head that PBS and revenue are in the same sentence. Let's not forget that DCI was only a few years old when Finals started being shown and always thought what DCI got was nation wide exposure. (Who has made money off of PBS?) And my idea of ESPN was it ws supposed to be a sales pitch for new members considering the sides bits I saw where showing what it would be like to be in a corps.

As for judging what went on in the 70s by todays needs (revenue) is trying to say the apples stink because they don't taste like oranges.

Who has made money off of PBS? The Children's Television Workshop, for one. Part of the outcry over federal funding for PBS was due to the profits of CTW and "Sesame Street." Oscar the Grouch lives in a trash can by choice, not out of poverty. However you are right, most people do not get rich from PBS.

Shaking my head that PBS and revenue are in the same sentence.

Downton Abbey, seasonal show that sells DVDs and donate if you really like it ;)

edit: says a drum corps nut that doesn't get DCI theatre experience due to a great white north thing :)

Edited by lindap

True, but there's a better chance of more revenues with more eyes.

only if you find someone willing to pay to get it to where more eyes may see it.

if DCI has to pay to put it on A&E, forget it. it's lost $$

Again, I wonder why the growth in the number of theaters and eyeballs grew at such a smaller rate than in previous years.

well, with the finals package available, i stopped going thursday. i'll watch during the day, then i watch all day friday and saturday night.

Theater attendance is real. I'm more curious of whether it's actually a success, and success to me mean long, sustained profitability at consistent growth rates.

I'm not throwing stones - I go the theater every year, too, and I'm glad it seems to be profitable - but I wonder why the previous expansion seemed to slow in the last year shown?

I do not know. One thing I would point out, though, is that the pay-per-view of finals just started in 2013. It is possible that some fans on tight budgets might choose between the theater and the PPV, rather than paying for both in the same week.

If you are concerned about growth going forward, then the better question is regarding the number of theaters. Are we reaching a ceiling there?

I was just stating why the theaters seems like the better choice. At least for now. There is a lot less risk involved. And definite money gained. Not sure the exposure on ESPN did much good for the activity. 2007 was the last year for that right? Viewership seemed positive.. but it just didn't have much positive effect on an activity struggling to find revenue streams. In fact it was a loss of money. The theater broadcast, while of course costing money to do, also has a revenue stream directly attached to it.

OK, so many things being said on this thread, hard to keep them all straight. As for ESPN it seemed for a few years DCI was concerned or at least concentrating on recruitment and getting more DCI eligible people to the shows. Forget if these years and the ESPN years matched but they were close. No idea what DCI expected but starting 10PM on a week night was a bad omen. To me ESPN was DCIs attempt to get nation wide publicity that cost way too much for the result gotten.

Edited by JimF-LowBari

Who has made money off of PBS? The Children's Television Workshop, for one. Part of the outcry over federal funding for PBS was due to the profits of CTW and "Sesame Street." Oscar the Grouch lives in a trash can by choice, not out of poverty. However you are right, most people do not get rich from PBS.

LOL how many albums and little Golden Books of Sesame Street did my sister have in the 70s. Funny thing is CTW got publicity from PBS and then made big bucks from items sold that I think were produced by CTW and not PBS. DCI could only dream of that result.

Again, I wonder why the growth in the number of theaters and eyeballs grew at such a smaller rate than in previous years.

That could be due to reasons out of DCI's control:

* limited available screens

* don't want to over-saturate the market (there's no need to put DCI Quarters in four or five different theaters within, say, a 20 mile radius - perhaps DCI has put them in strategic locations)

* exclusive contracts with certain theaters/markets

IDK: I'm 100% speculating/guessing, but there could be several details we don't know about. The theater thing is a sort of weird thing IMO, because I can see virtually the same show w/my FN subscription at home at no additional cost the following evening. Or I can live stream finals for a nominal fee and skip the theater thing which would be an added, maybe unnecessary expense. The theater thing was great when there were fewer options, but with more options available the potential for growth might be limited. I think the theater thing is a great communal experience, or maybe a one-time annual DCI viewing experience (I know several people who ONLY experience drum corps once a year via the Quarterfinals theater thing - the see it as a combination "hang out with friends" + watching drum corps). But when it's maybe more economically viable to drop $60 for 10 or so live streams for the season for as many people you want to put in a living room or something, vs. $20 a ticket for a one-time movie theater thing.

I'd be curious to know what the cost is for DCI to broadcast and produce the theater thing vs. how much money they make off of ticket sales. It's obviously worth it financially for DCI or else they would stop doing the theater thing.

I watched PBS to catch Monty Python, Keeping up Appearances and DCI.

I'd give a bucket of hyacinths to the corps that designed a Keeping Up Appearances show.