Carolina Crown 2015

Have a great run tonight Crown! Turn up the heat another notch!

• Like 2

I think Crown was 4-5 in guard last year but agree with your point,

They ended up third after being around 5th all season. Don't know the numbers, but they seemed young. Practicing after every show near the end got them clean.

As for percussion, most lines would give their left McNutt to sound like the top four lines (which change often). They vie for talent amongst members I'd imagine as much as star staff. Perc. judges, I'd contend, are probably the most honest group by if looking at recaps is any indication.

Disagree. I think they made good staff changes but percussion programs take years to build.

Recent history would fly in the face of that though. Rennick had Phantom humming. placing high or winning percussion often. During that time SCV's drumline was a mess. Rennick moves to SCV in 2011 and instantly Regiment falls off the map percussion wise and SCV takes off. Blue Devils drumline was a disaster in the early 90's. They couldn't even finish top 5 and went as low as 8th or 9th I believe. In comes Scott Johnson from SCV and BD wins drums in 94 and Vanguard wanders the dessert until the aforementioned Rennick shows up. The right guy makes an instant impact.

Edited by mboogey73

I think the staff isn't the problem I think. They need to attract more talented players.

Recent history would fly in the face of that though. Rennick had Phantom humming. placing high or winning percussion often. During that time SCV's drumline was a mess. Rennick moves to SCV in 2011 and instantly Regiment falls off the map percussion wise and SCV takes off. Blue Devils drumline was a disaster in the early 90's. They couldn't even finish top 5 and went as low as 8th or 9th I believe. In comes Scott Johnson from SCV and BD wins drums in 94 and Vanguard wanders the dessert until the aforementioned Rennick shows up. The right guy makes an instant impact.

Who was in charge of SCV percussion in the late 90's? They won drums in 98 and 2nd in 99 behind the Cavies. Also early 2000's they did well. I believe 2nd place finishes in 01, 02, and 03, then won drums in 04.

Thank you for the support in dispelling the myth that it takes YEARS to build a medalling percussion section, mboogey73. Rennick made the impact immediately.

Thank you for the support in dispelling the myth that it takes YEARS to build a medalling percussion section, mboogey73. Rennick made the impact immediately.

Rennick did not make the impact immediately all by himself. A large number of his staff went with him to SCV, as did some of the members. Throw that mix into a very ripe California pool of talent and you have a percussion section that was already good but is now one of the models for the activity.

Rennick did not make the impact immediately all by himself. A large number of his staff went with him to SCV, as did some of the members. Throw that mix into a very ripe California pool of talent and you have a percussion section that was already good but is now one of the models for the activity.

It goes without saying that an elite caption head will bring a great staff with him. And SCV percussion, in the years right before Rennick showed up, was not good. They were 6th or below more than one year.

Edited by mboogey73
  • Like 1

I'm sorry wilme861, why did you copy my response rather than mboogey73? People are offering excuses and really not legitimate ones in my opinion. mboogey is absolutely right. Crown has not committed itself to being a championship contender in percussion for whatever reason. It's a statement of fact. It's not a slam necessarily. They may have legitimate reasons for doing so. Wilme861, your comment seems to suggest that California has more talented percussionists than does the East Coast. Am I interpreting you correctly?