Carolina Crown 2015

I love Crowns percussion this year, however, when you're talking scant tenths of a point making the difference between 1st and 4th place, being out of the top 3 is dangerous territory

Agree. Cadets in the same boat with color guard.

I think Crown comes in second by the narrowest of margins but will have a performance that will be talked about, debated, and appreciated years and years down the line. I speak from experience. After a few years of being butt hurt, it has been a lot of fun to be a remembered runner-up.

Edited by Medeabrass

WOW Someone pumped up the crowd with a slow clap and a cheer for his little sister! What a great brother! Especially since he was a Bluecoat!

I notice that the Cadets plays for the audience while Crown plays WITH the audience. The show feels like a conversation. There are natural pauses built in for a crowd response. Cadets, Bluecoats don't let the crowd respond and their show feels more like a lecture - THIS IS WHAT KINETIC NOISE SOUNDS LIKE and REVERE THE POWER OF TEN.

Crown elicits and then acknowledges a crowd response by respecting the crowd. It's subtlety is masterful. This is what makes a good show great!

• Like 1

WOW Someone pumped up the crowd with a slow clap and a cheer for his little sister! What a great brother! Especially since he was a Bluecoat!

I notice that the Cadets plays for the audience while Crown plays WITH the audience. The show feels like a conversation. There are natural pauses built in for a crowd response. Cadets, Bluecoats don't let the crowd respond and their show feels more like a lecture - THIS IS WHAT KINETIC NOISE SOUNDS LIKE and REVERE THE POWER OF TEN.

Crown elicits and then acknowledges a crowd response by respecting the crowd. It's subtlety is masterful. This is what makes a good show great!

Both Cadets and Bluecoats have pauses in their shows after major features and sections for applause. And it's not really a conversation as much as appropriate silence. If you try to talk to Crown during their show people will punch you.

• Like 3

Are you referring to the pacing? Crown's show contains set pieces with a sense of completion. Each set piece is delivered and completed, and the audience reacts. They feel rewarded.

Cadet's show runs frantically and breathlessly without any pause or change in tone most of the time. It's one big long breathless transition. Finally when the French horns have a solo, you can hear the relief and joy from the audience. "OMG, this is what we've been waiting for. Something that makes perfect sense. We've arrived. What took them so long?" The audience can hear the change in voicing and in tone. We've arrived. Then it's back to the rat race.

When you select a piece of music for a twelve minute production, you have to consider the pacing, variety, and what the set pieces are. What makes this movement or section different? How does it build on the one before? What's the through line? And finally, what's the meaning here, overall? By the end, how have things changed? You know, things they teach in high school composition.

Edited by Channel3
  • Like 3

The most musical show I've ever seen. Hands down.

Every musical phrase is fully realized visually by the ensemble, most especially that fantastic guard. Every member gets what every other member in every other section is doing, and they all love it, pretty obviously.

• Like 2

I think I said this before, that I wasn't a fan of their show the last two years, but I'm rooting for Crown to win on Saturday. I think their show, more than most in the top group, trusts the inherent quality of the source music.

The most musical show I've ever seen.

And you criticize my posts? I'm sorry, that's just provincial.
mu·si·cal
ˈmyo͞ozək(ə)l/
adjective
adjective: musical
1 1. 
of or relating to music."they shared similar musical tastes"

▪ set to or accompanied by music."an evening of musical entertainment"

▪ fond of or skilled in music."Henry was very musical, but his wife was tone-deaf"

having a pleasant sound; melodious; tuneful.
Edited by Channel3