Rules Congress

Your point is not entirely correct. I was buying tickets until I got sick of cringing every few minutes in the face of some sophomoric poetry or the omnipresent thunderous goo. Well - that's DCI done for me, I had hoped that DCA would have the courage to continue to produce a sound that was unique to drum corps. I see I was mistaken.

Again - why are you arguing? You got everything your way. You were successful in turning it all into band. I'm sure DCA will have some very nice bands this year.

arguing? no. showing you the business reality of the situation? yes

• Like 1

I do think Mandarins hit a home run with George Takei's voice a few years ago

Was it ever confirmed that was George Takei? I thought the Mandarins never said whose voice was used.

OK - so not only did you manage to kill off the unique identity everywhere for everyone, you don't want anyone seeing it differently from you, even after the fact.

Got it.

Have fun.

Merry Christmas.

No one killed off anything. You are seeing what was in your opinion unique and an identity as a factor of who and what the activity is.If that were the case then ever sound, visual, presentation that varied from decade to decade would re-define what drum corps is. The activity IMO is not what's changed or stayed the same , it's the people, the love of performing, the bonds, the creativity, the willingness to explore as well as hold onto traditions without letting the past hold you back. JMO

• Like 1

OK - so not only did you manage to kill off the unique identity everywhere for everyone, you don't want anyone seeing it differently from you, even after the fact.

Got it.

Have fun.

Merry Christmas.

the future members like it.

when you try to recruit a kid to march and they ask why you don't have electronics etc and you respond "well tradition and uniqueness..."

kids look at you like you're a dinosaur.

agreed. remember, the contra was once illegal. so were timbales. bells. the list goes on and on

No one killed off anything. You are seeing what was in your opinion unique and an identity as a factor of who and what the activity is.If that were the case then ever sound, visual, presentation that varied from decade to decade would re-define what drum corps is. The activity IMO is not what's changed or stayed the same , it's the people, the love of performing, the bonds, the creativity, the willingness to explore as well as hold onto traditions without letting the past hold you back. JMO

• Like 2

Well, I see things are moving right along, over here on DCP. The way I see it: Somebody has to carry on with the activity when I'm dead and gone. They have to add their uniqueness and talent, their youth and vigor (both of which I am lacking, at 62 years old) to the advancement of the activity. If they show up and don't see what they recognize and expect, they (todays young participants) will turn around and walk away. I don't want that to happen. We had our day, it's the young folks turn, now. Don't be so selfish.

Edited by hairbear
  • Like 4

agreed. remember, the contra was once illegal. so were timbales. bells. the list goes on and on

And when that first valve went on there was a real beotch session in the American Legion. AL Post #76 (aka Boys of 76) - Racine, WI had 'em and another Post (forget who) got the rules czar out of bed to protest it. End result, during competition you could have the valve but not move it to make it even with Posts who could not afford the valved horns (not sure how long that rule lasted).

source: George Fennells history of Boys of 76 which is in paperback and online somewhere......

I'm with Hairbear, I'm not a fan of electronics but I ain't the future so keep on surviving DC activity, keep on surviving.....

Edited by JimF-LowBari
  • Like 2

And when that first valve went on there was a real beotch session in the American Legion. AL Post #76 (aka Boys of 76) - Racine, WI had 'em and another Post (forget who) got the rules czar out of bed to protest it. End result, during competition you could have the valve but not move it to make it even with Posts who could not afford the valved horns (not sure how long that rule lasted).

source: George Fennells history of Boys of 76 which is in paperback and online somewhere......

I'm with Hairbear, I'm not a fan of electronics but I ain't the future so keep on surviving DC activity, keep on surviving.....

Leave it to them #### Racine corps.

Then the Kilts had to go off and be the very first drum corps to ground timps, thus creating the very first "pit".

#### troublemakers!!

• Like 1

Yeah you know what - you're all right and I'm completely wrong. Nothing bad will happen to DCA as a result of all this. Don't worry about a thing - everything will be wonderful in drum corps land. Nobody could possibly take a wrong turn. Nobody makes bad decisions ever....

Sorry - I know that was overly sarcastic - but you already got what you wanted, and still you're here defending it. Maybe you're not so confident as you wish to appear.

Either way - I'll sit back and see what happens. Believe me when I say, I hope I'm wrong.