Fan Network - Why have you forsaken me?

Wow!

Lot's of drama in this thread!

All I will say is that I would have thought that DCI had all the copyright stuff taken care of and in order BEFORE they posted the content for a product.

Now it seems that they haven't and that makes me a little concerned. What changed?

...and just a FYI I've recently taken a Graduate level course on Intellectual Property concerns and ethics, so I'm not ignorant on the topic.

Mind explaining something? You say you're surprised DCI hadn't taken care of this before yet others say they did take care of it before but something changed that is out of their hands. Which one is it?

They never offered that? What you can see there on their website, they're not offering that? That's like saying that a grocer with a basket of apples just inside the store isn't offering apples. What do you suppose it is that FN is offering - you pays yer money and takes yer chances?

When you go to the Fan Network and sign up, there is a page that states the following:

ON-DEMAND ACCESS TO THE DCI VIDEO ARCHIVES

• Performances spanning 1974-2013

It doesn't state anything about "All top 12 performances spanning 1974-2013."

Edited by seen-it-all
  • Like 1

Mind explaining something? You say you're surprised DCI hadn't taken care of this before yet others say they did take care of it before but something changed that is out of their hands. Which one is it?

Please see Jeff Ream's comment below.

DCI had done their diligence. The problem is a publisher decided to change the agreement with no warning.

Honestly all I use FN for is to listen to DCI shows as study music over the semester. Almost exclusively. I'll watch a live show or two over the summer but I'm usually too busy to catch any of them. Seeing this happen is really disappointing since I use FN pretty much everyday during the semester.

Jeff Ream said you were the 3%. I guess I'm the 1%. I watch alot of DCI live shows in the summer, lots of FN in the spring and during winter I watch WGI FN and now it's temporarily closed! Oh my! Guess I'll have to watch whatever's left of DCI FN 'cause I got lots of paid days off during the holidays and we get 6 months of snow up here and I got the winter blues and haven't finished shopping and gotta start baking and cooking and wrapping and everthing else for the holidays! I look forward to my winter holiday days off work down time to watch FN. What am I going to do in lieu?

When you go to the Fan Network and sign up, there is a page that states the following:

ON-DEMAND ACCESS TO THE DCI VIDEO ARCHIVES

• Performances spanning 1974-2013

It doesn't state anything about "All top 12 performances spanning 1974-2013."

Look at this car advertisement:

http://9ideia.com.br/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/anuncio_cielo.jpg

Does it specifically state that it includes tires, or does what they show you imply that?

tesmusic has his own agenda. He is more adept at abuse than persuasion.

Facts, actually. But call it abuse to feel better if you need.

Look at this car advertisement:

http://9ideia.com.br/site/wp-content/uploads/2011/04/anuncio_cielo.jpg

Does it specifically state that it includes tires, or does what they show you imply that?

Oh for the love of god.

• Like 1

But the wording on DCI's site clearly says the only remedy for those upset with changes is to stop services as the purchaser agreed to the terms, that would easily hold up in court. If people were allowed to take up grievances for these types of matters, we'd have to borrow courtrooms in other countries because there aren't enough in the US.

Well... suppose DCI told all subscribers today that *all* content was being removed from the Fan Network today, but no one would be getting a refund for the five months left on their contract. Supposed DCI had done such a thing (the hypothetical removal of all content--oh, and there'd be no live broadcasts either) back in June, right after most people re-subscribed, and told everyone that no refund would be forthcoming on the twelve months left on their contracts. They'd all paid $70 for what turned out to be less than a week of service. Basically DCI had taken their money and was giving nothing in return. Or to take an example MikeN mentioned: what if you bought a Netflix subscription and were immediately told, "Thanks for your payment. We have just changed the terms to provide no content in return. Your only option is not to renew your subscription next time." Would any of those moves really hold up in court?

If the answer is no--and I suspect that, despite the notice in the terms and conditions, that refusing to provide any content means that the service provider has broken the contract--then there must be some sort of reasonableness test. Maybe it's generally understood that at least 50% of the originally-available amount of content has to be available through the term of the agreement. Or 75%. I don't know. It would be nice if a lawyer weighed in with some precedent. (Are you one?)

But as I said in an earlier post, this block of cuts, enormous as it seems, actually amounts to only 4% of the on-demand video for the year, so while it's highly alarming, it's surely covered by DCI's advisory.

Edited by N.E. Brigand